Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Enco Mill/Drill

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 2335 times

Old 04-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Registered-I

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Enco Mill/Drill

hi gang,
i purchased an old, i guess 70's version enco m/d setup. not long ago, i discovered the coil spring on the side, for the spindle return is broken. i took a chance and blew 40.00 to find out a replacement is no longer available for this machine.
they only carry the type for the newer machines.
i'm looking to find someone who might be familiar with this and make a suggestion. thank you
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Registered-III

Liked 61 Times in 47 Posts
Default Re: Enco Mill/Drill

Is that a flat wound, clock type, spring? Assuming it's broken near the end you could maybe shorten it an inch and re-do the end on your broken one. Might need to heat, bend & grind a new notch or something. Might limit travel a bit at the very end of stroke but might never be a problem.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 04-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Subscriber

Liked 5,454 Times in 2,706 Posts

I doubt it would limit the travel much at all if it were shortened a little bit, IF it works the same as the one on my old Buffalo drill press which is adjustable for tension and takes several turns of the knob to make much difference on the the tension.

Even if it's broken in the middle, it might be possible to tack weld it back together or silver solder it like a band saw blade splice as long as you use some kind of heat sink material to keep from weakening the spring beyond the break.

If I'm reading the original post right, and he got the whole unit for $40.00 he got a great deal even with the broken spring.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Registered-II

Liked 158 Times in 128 Posts

If it is the clockspring type, another possible source is from rewind starters on small motors.they vary from little chainsaw types to quite heavy engine units. May need to modify as suggested above, but worth a try, Regards, Combustor.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Registered-II

Liked 152 Times in 106 Posts

Have been known to make that kind of spring on the lathe using the spring steel banding from shipping crates. You have to cut your fingers all to pieces and take a couple raps up side the head before your done but it will work
Old 04-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Registered-I

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i purchased a new one from enco (not same co. anymore). spring and housing cap $40.00. the rep. from enco warned me that they could only give me one from their newer machines and said it's not returnable. i figured, how much could they have changed and why not try it? and yup, ng. oh well, my mistake. by the way, ng on ebay. i'll check out shortening the spring. thanks guys
Old 04-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Subscriber

While you're checking out eBay for the 'old style' replacement, you could always list your 'new style' one on there.

Should be able to get at least some of your money back out of it, or if a couple people are looking for one and don't realise you can buy them new you could even turn a profit on it.

If it was "Non Returnable", and you can't use it, you have nothing to gain by keeping it, and nothing to lose by selling it. You have the choice of starting low with the regular auction style listing & letting it go for whatever it brings, or putting it on as a "Buy it Now" listing at the $40.00 you paid or whatever price you will let it go for.

Let us know how it all works out for you, fixing & selling...

Just another suggestion.... you might try checking the Yellow Pages or online, and see if there are any spring manufacturers that could make either you a new one using your old one as a pattern, or might possibly have something in stock that would work for you. Maybe check the local machine shops and ask if they have any catalogs or business cards for spring suppliers.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:48 PM
Registered-I

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTO-Sawyer View Post
While you're checking out eBay for the 'old style' replacement, you could always list your 'new style' one on there.

Should be able to get at least some of your money back out of it, or if a couple people are looking for one and don't realise you can buy them new you could even turn a profit on it.

If it was "Non Returnable", and you can't use it, you have nothing to gain by keeping it, and nothing to lose by selling it. You have the choice of starting low with the regular auction style listing & letting it go for whatever it brings, or putting it on as a "Buy it Now" listing at the $40.00 you paid or whatever price you will let it go for.

Let us know how it all works out for you, fixing & selling...

Just another suggestion.... you might try checking the Yellow Pages or online, and see if there are any spring manufacturers that could make either you a new one using your old one as a pattern, or might possibly have something in stock that would work for you. Maybe check the local machine shops and ask if they have any catalogs or business cards for spring suppliers.
great ideas here. i'll certainly look into these. thanks bud
Old 04-04-2011, 08:53 AM
In Memory Of

Liked 1,198 Times in 1,060 Posts

My 1984 vintage ENCO Mill/Drill has the clock work spring PLUS a standard extension spring connected vertically behind the drill quill column.

Kent
Old 04-14-2011, 01:22 PM
Registered-I

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Enco Mill/Drill wind-up spring

well, i mickey moused the spring to get it back in and it seems ok but can anybody tell me if it has to be preloaded?
the manuals says nothing on this and not sure if i should wind it clock or counter clock wise. this is probably how it was broken in the first place. thank you
Old 04-17-2011, 02:42 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Enco Mill/Drill wind-up spring

It will need to be tensioned one way or another.

I've never looked at an Enco to see how they're put together or how they're adjusted. The only comparison I can make at the moment is on my old Buffalo drill press which has a hand wheel/knob that you turn for more or less tension, and it is adjusted after it's assembled.

Turning the knob the opposite dirrection of the quill handle increases the tension, turning the same dirrection lightens it.

As to where to set it, that kind of depends on how you're using it and what you have in the chuck.