Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters

Briggs & Stratton 19.5 HP - Turbo Cooled

Hey Guys, I picked up a 1996 Craftsman lawn tractor with a 19.5 HP Briggs & Stratton motor. I was...

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 3827 times

Old 10-05-2011, 10:45 PM
Registered-I

Default Briggs & Stratton 19.5 HP - Turbo Cooled

Hey Guys, I picked up a 1996 Craftsman lawn tractor with a 19.5 HP Briggs & Stratton motor. I was wondering, Can the governor be removed? If so, how do you remove it? I know it just bolts on to the block, but how about all the springs and all attached? My plans were to make it go fast. Its a Great running little motor. Just wanting something to play around with.

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks,
Nick
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2011, 11:54 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Briggs & Stratton 19.5 HP - Turbo Cooled

you can but you will blow the motor. the ones that are designed to run without any Governor usually are highly modified so you can but do at your own risk.
(if i were to do that i would just take some mechanics wire and wire the throttle wide open because that basically what the springs will do but it prob much easier)
Old 10-06-2011, 01:02 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,564 Times in 1,318 Posts

If you want the tractor to go faster, put a larger pulley on the engine and / or a smaller one on the transmission. You run a risk of blowing the engine if you over-ride the governor. 3600 rpm is plenty fast for the engine (that's 60 revolutions a second). Get the final drive ratio down and you will get speed.

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 10-06-2011, 09:01 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,803 Times in 2,448 Posts
Exclamation Re: Briggs & Stratton 19.5 HP - Turbo Cooled

The governor in that engine is a flyweight type. It is internal, running off the cam gear. If it is left free inside the engine, or if it is over sped, it will blow apart, as the gear it is mounted to is made of plastic Your best bet (and safer at that) is to do as other posters have said - increase the engine drive pulley and reduce the transmission pulley diameters. This will keep the engine in its torque band and will increase tractor speed as well. DO NOT run the cutting blades ar higher than spec RPM The blade mount bearings are marginal from the factory, and will not take the stress.

If you plan to run the tractor at higher speeds, as the machine is 14 years old, I would advise that you have the trans disassembled and have the grease replaced. The old grease is probably hardenned and about past its service life. When the gear grease is replaced, I would also add some 140 WT hypoid gear oil to it to add more gear lubricity. At higher speeds the original grease will be tended to be thrown off the gears. The 140 Wt will help the grease to flow better (old shop trick).
Andrew
Old 10-06-2011, 09:21 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,202 Times in 1,063 Posts

What are you doing, Lawn Mower Racing? You you can remove the governor or disable it BUT as said you may blow the engine. If you do this, the first thing I would do is install a new rod. Then periodically replace the rod to keep it from unexpectedly exiting the crankcase making a hole as it leaves.

Kent
Old 10-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Registered-I

Thanks for all the Info. As you can tell, I'm 17yrs old and bored. I picked up this Lawn Tractor from a friend, who gave it to me. I got it running and all, and just decided to make a "Toy" out of it. I will go ahead and switch out the pulleys. I what I looking to do is make it go fast, but still be able to install the mower deck, and still mow with it.

Again, Thanks for all of your help, Greatly Appreciated