Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Chain Saw Collectors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Chain Saw Collectors Vintage chainsaws and other small gas engine saws, collecting and restoring.

Chain Saw Collectors

David Bradley chainsaw

this thread has 31 replies and has been viewed 7978 times

Old 11-25-2011, 12:21 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: David Bradley chainsaw

Correction,
it's a Tillotson HC, the meanest of them all, no parts are avalible for it, i was just looking at it a few min. ago wondering if....mabey...i just might be able to....make it work ?
Still can not even get it to budge, it could be the bearing on the crankcase is frozen or the piston is seized in the barrel, i can see the piston thrue the ports and it don't look too bad.
Natrually i would split the case but the 3 mean flathead screws holding the saw frame to the engine won't let go, after an hr or so of tapping with a hammer and screwdriver i gave up, i really don't want to pull off the ignition coil assembly to split the case, if i do is there anyone who can advise me on ignition timing, the engine is AH47 Power Products,
thanks

trowel

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by casertractor View Post
thank you for that answer like i say i am not to familliar with david bradley chainsaws.John
your welcome, any questions please ask, i know a bunch about David Bradley.
Always seen them, ran them, adjust/change carbs, always avoided the ones that were seized, as far as taking one apart, all new to me, im more of a 4-stroke person, these funny little 2-smokes make me laugh, oddly i like the old ones like these,
happy thanksgiving guys,
trowel

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GADavis View Post
It has that lovely Tecumseh flat single diaphragm carburetor that was designed by Satan himself. It is one of the meanest to make work correct because it has no fuel pump side, it is gravity fed. Parts are almost non existent for it..
GADavis,
if the David Bradley saw you are working on or own has the mean little Tecumseh carb, it may be correct for it, i do not know enugh about them to tell you why they have it and why mines has the mean partless Tilloston, i replaced one 917.60000 model's carb with a Tilloston HO with air cleaner assembly off a 758G saw with good results,

trowel
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2011, 06:16 PM
Registered-III

The 58G direct drive after tuning and sawing up some wood : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=VGNugaMlk9o

The 58G gear drive after freeing up the piston, cleaning out and tuning : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=shlfvHVUc_M

The two U4g are still stuck, im re-assembling and leaving as is,

trowel
Old 12-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Registered-I

I picked up a locked up solid DB couple weeks ago,pulled the carb and cleaned it quick like,pulled the reed plate to clean the corrosion from them(bad,one is even missing a corner)sprayed the crankcase with Thruster and Marvel,worked it back and forth a few dozen times('til I started getting blisters on my fingers)she rotated all the way around with a nice grinding sound,got her to spark,put it all together and took a chance. This thing fired up much to my surprise. LOUD,darn straight,but you gotta love 'em loud. And the flames,why they mean power. So happy,I just got another to restore.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:53 PM
Registered-I

I have this same saw.Mine is complete and i use it to cut wood.
I will try to post some pictures
Old 02-28-2012, 04:51 PM
Registered

does anyone know the serial numbers or model numbers to identify a david bradley ah80 chainsaw?
Old 04-16-2012, 12:53 AM
Registered

Are you talking about the (A)H-81 Power Products motor? I am not familiar with the 80. Have several of the 8 cubic inch saws David Bradley made. They include 917-60011, 917-60021(direct drive) and 917-60015, 917-60022(gear reduction) models. The pics on Mike Acres site are not what the saw looks like. Its just a generic pic of the AH-47 based model for general appearance.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:53 AM
Registered-I

I picked up the model 010 finaly and took very little to get it running, pretty nice shape. The dang recoil was working great until I tried to lube it, now it won't work worth a dang.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:02 PM
Registered-II

[QUOTE=trowel;707104]Correction,
it's a Tillotson HC, the meanest of them all, no parts are avalible for it, i was just looking at it a few min. ago wondering if....mabey...i just might be able to....make it work ?

I dont agree....The Tillotson HC is a very common carb..it has the same body as the HL found on many PP products...they just removed the bottom half of the pump assembly since the saw is gravity fed....The D5GHL kit fits like a charm...you only need to discard the pump gaskets.
Alain,

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by trowel View Post
Question answered : Sears and robuck only
You are right and DB was purchased by Sears as their sole supplier of saws. Sadly the David-Bradley web site has closed forever ...a big informative forum with a bunch of knowledge from members..gone forever
Alain,
Old 02-12-2013, 01:40 PM
Registered

I have a DB 917.61403 Ser#10317 can someone tell me the year it was made, thanks Larry
Old 02-16-2013, 12:34 AM
Registered-II

hi trowl if you think that db is loud dont buy a disston kb6. they are a mercury engine twin cylinder. no muffler just about a 4 inch straight manifold .after dark they blow about 6 inches of flames out the manifold and will get your neibors attension a mile away . just ask me how i know dean
Old 04-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Registered-I

Are the these old DB saws worth anything as a collector's item?
Old 04-11-2013, 09:05 PM
Registered-I

...LOVE my David Bradley's! I have a 758G and a 360..both run excellent! Just put a new loop of 1/2" chain on the 24" bar last year!