Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers, pumps, washers and antiquities of the industrial revolution.

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles

Deere Grain Binder

Brought home this 10' Deere PTO grain binder a few days ago:...

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1850 times

Old 07-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Registered-III

Default Deere Grain Binder

Brought home this 10' Deere PTO grain binder a few days ago:

It had been sitting outside for about 3 years after being removed from a shed and I couldn't stand to see it just rot. So far I've cleaned up and repainted the transport rims since it was needed before mounting usable tires. I've also confirmed that almost no parts were stuck, and the few that were (an idler pulley and some adjustment levers) have been freed up. It has 2 of the canvases that were in another shed, but couldn't find the upper feed canvas. I'll probably just order a complete set as the ones I have will need some repair (a few holes and bad buckles) to be usable, and so I'll just keep the old ones as spares. After putting some new wood in the reel and getting new canvases, this binder should be ready to work. I'll try hooking it up soon and gently run it through a few cycles after turning it through once by hand to check for problems. Afterward I'll coat the unpainted wood parts with linseed oil to help preserve them.

Can anyone shed some light on then this one was made? How about some measurements for the 2-piece linkage that connects the windshield to the end reel support? Mine is broken with pieces missing. Should be easy to fabricate once I have those. I do already have the parts manual from Deere's website, but that only helps so much since things are not drawn to scale.

Has anyone ever used one of these to cut soybeans? I'm trying to think of a way to demonstrate it this fall and beans are about the only option. Having to wait until next year's wheat before being able to play with it will kinda stink.

Thanks for any help you all can provide.

Last edited by SMertz; 07-12-2012 at 10:39 PM. Reason: fixed wrong photo links
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SMertz:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2012, 12:44 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 2,272 Times in 1,159 Posts
Default Re: Deere Grain Binder

After this drought is over there probably won't even be any soybeans or corn to cut. Most of the corn around here has already given up as lost and the beans won't go on much longer. F.J.W.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,178 Times in 287 Posts

We have the same one but on steel wheels. It was imported back in 1946 through the Marshall Plan and spent its working life in a small village nearby. Don't know whether it was new then? We do not have the windshield and the device to keep the bushels together. The sheet under the binder has the words 'New John Deere' stamped in. Where do you order the new canvas? We could do with a set. These are good working machines, thanks for saving another one!

Marcel
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_8950.jpg   _MG_8957.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Marcel P:
Old 07-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Registered-III

So far I've found these places that claim to have them. I'm waiting for email replies on prices.

Macknair and Balster's

I'm sure there's other suppliers as well. If you have the dimensions or an old set for pattern, a good tarp maker/shop could make you the bare canvas with buckles and you just add the wood slats yourself.

If anyone needs close-up photos or measurements of any of the parts of this binder, just ask and I'll do what I can.

Last edited by SMertz; 07-14-2012 at 10:40 AM.