Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Generac Generators (SEARS, etc.)
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generac Generators (SEARS, etc.) Restoring, maintaining and operating Generac generators.

Generac Generators (SEARS, etc.)

Natural Gas for Briggs&Stratton (Generac) EXL8000, model 030244, rev 02 - 15HP Engine

I'm looking at the Type C tri-fuel conversion kit from US Carburetion, Inc. for my gasoline powered...

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 5418 times

Old 07-08-2012, 12:09 AM
Registered-I

Default Natural Gas for Briggs&Stratton (Generac) EXL8000, model 030244, rev 02 - 15HP Engine

I'm looking at the Type C tri-fuel conversion kit from US Carburetion, Inc. for my gasoline powered Briggs&Stratton (Generac) EXL8000, model 030244, rev 02 - 15HP Engine.

Homepage: http://www.propane-generators.com
Type C Kit: http://www.propane-generators.com/a-c_kits.htm

My question is if anyone has experience with a 15HP generator running on Natural Gas (NG).

I am trying to figure out if 3/4" NG black pipe gas line tapped from the main 1-1/4" gas line and run out through the wall with a quick connect would provide sufficient fuel to power my 15HP Generac engine on the Briggs & Stratton EXL8000 generator.

My house currently has a natural gas furnace and hot water heater.
furnace is approximately = 120,000 BTU = 120CF
water heater approximately = 40,000 BTU = 40CF
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2012, 07:54 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Natural Gas for Briggs&Stratton (Generac) EXL8000, model 030244, rev 02 - 15HP En

Here is a link to the Onan gaseous fuel manual that has lots of good info. http://www.generatorservices.com/T-015.PDF

I set up a elderly neighbor a 6.5NH ONAN for NG. I was able to run it fully loaded off of the 1/4" tap that is right at the meter.

David C.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:06 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Natural Gas for Briggs&Stratton (Generac) EXL8000, model 030244, rev 02 - 15HP En

Keep in mind that when you are running off propane or natural gas it is best to de-rate your machine about 10-15% of its running wattage. Those fuels simply do not have as much BTU content as a gallon of gasoline.

http://members.rennlist.org/warren/propane.html

this link will be very benificial for fuel type info.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:27 AM
Registered-I

I've decided on natural gas instead of gasoline or propane.
I will always have the option to use gasoline or propane but for cost and ease of constant use natural gas is my current choice.

Ok, looks like 1/2" or 3/4" will provide sufficient natural gas for my 15hp engine.

Now the fun begins to find a reasonably priced installer in my area so that it's done right and no issues with passing inspection.

Has anyone else converted a small engine from gasoline to natural gas? I'll be checking to see if any adjustments to timing on the engine is required, too.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:03 AM
Subscriber

I'm looking to do the same thing to convert my 7000EXL to tri-fuel as well. My home does not have a natural gas line, but the idea of being able to run off a good size propane tank interests me. The propane filling station I can walk to from my house too.

The only issues i have heard with the kit you are looking at it you will need to tweak the flow regulator to get the right air/fuel mixture when at full load. Once you do it will run cleaner and awesome.

When Irene and the snow storm hit me last year, regular gas was out at most local gas stations, and short on mid grade too. Good few gas stations didnt have gennys to power the pumps either. The propane guys were busy as hell, refill stations had power and stop & shop round here had no 20 pound bottles to trade in. (not for gennys so much but grilling for food...and idiots trying to heat their house with them getting CO poisoning)

As I mentioned before be aware that your 8k generator will now have roughly a max wattage of about 6800 running watts (15% de-rated due to fuel type). Its still well worth the investment to say the least.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:02 PM
Registered-I

Yes, the initial tuning will be key.
The intent is to use the RPM's to help set what I need because the generator has a governor it should control what is actually needed/used to keep the RPM's at a constant 3600 for the EXL8000.

I'm not sure, but am thinking that the output of 8000 kw should remain constant provided that the RPM's are constant because energy output is a product of spinning the alternator.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:48 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,084 Times in 867 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryryan64 View Post
I'm not sure, but am thinking that the output of 8000 kw should remain constant provided that the RPM's are constant because energy output is a product of spinning the alternator.
The question is whether your engine can actually breathe in enough natural gas to create the power necessary to keep the rpm's up. Most cannot maintain full power on natural gas, just not enough btu's in it and it burns slower. High compression engine helps by increasing the rate of burn in the cylinders.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryryan64 View Post
The phenomenon you are referring to is whats called the flywheel effect. For generator applications, it is only useful when providing surge watts. A spinning mass like the rotor will stay in motion until the EMF (electromagnetic force) overcomes the inertia of the spinning mass. With the spinning mass absorbing the initial EMF the engine will have a slight heads up before the governor needs to kick in to feed the engine more fuel to compensate for the load. The mechanical governor simply cannot react that fast to a load, its not instantaneous.

Jim is absolutely right, the BTU content of one gallon of NG is less than one gallon of gasoline. So the logic goes that the engine has less heat to transfer, all internal combustion engines are heat pumps. Less heat means less horsepower at the crank. If you were to run at the normal rated load of 8000 watts on propane/NG the engine may keep spinning, but I would expect the RPM's would "sag" and the engine will be leaning out.

NG/propane combusts slower so even if you gave it more fuel from the demand regulator, the engine would not be able to burn it completely. For that to happen the compression ratio would have to be considerably higher to do that at the rated wattage of your machine. At that point you wouldn't be able to run regular gasoline. You would need to increase the octane of the gasoline to prevent pre-ignition (knocking/pinging which causes engine damage) So you are forced to de-rate your machine 10-15% of its running wattage before it is unable to maintain RPM speed for the load on NG/propane

Sorry for the long explanation. I've done the research as I'm preparing to do the same for my machine, still the benefits of running NG/propane are still worth the investment.

All the best!