Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets MEP Mobile Electric Power, APU Auxiliary Power Unit and other military surplus generators.

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets

MEP-003 meters and fuel tank

I have two MEP-003 gensets. I got one running a month or so and got the second one running...

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 955 times

Old 11-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Registered-II

Default MEP-003 meters and fuel tank

I have two MEP-003 gensets. I got one running a month or so and got the second one running yesterday. It starts easier than the other one and sound really good.

The reconnection switch was in the 120/208 volt position and would not move. I took it out of the mount and cleaned the area where the knob mechanism moves the switch. The switch portion moves fine. Had a brain dump when I put it back to together and it is still in the 120/208 volt position. I’ll have to pull it back out and turn it 180 degrees.

There was a LOT of rust corrosion on this unit. I initially thought a battery may have exploded but I am not sure. Most of the paint on the generator head was gone and you could lift large pieces of the paint that remained with your finger. The retainer chain under the fuel cap rusted in half. Take a look at the pictures. One of the pictures shows the sheets of paint. Because of the rust I listed the intended use was for PARTS; but, I would rather see if I can get a usable generator.

So far the starter solenoid releases after the engine is started then goes back and forth a little while I am waiting for the oil pressure to come up. The air louvers below the exhaust ports don't open on their own, the volt meter looks like the needle is sticking and the lens in load meter, and battery charge meter are pretty discolored. I have not done any research on the air louvers yet. Can the meters be taken apart and the lens cleaned or replaced?

I may be able to sand blast the air filter housing and salvage it but I am suspecting I am going to need a fuel tank.

Any suggestions on where I can get a fuel tank, maybe an air cleaner housing and the meters if I need them?

Joe
Crestview FL

Too many generators, too little time
Attached Thumbnails
2012-11-04_10-07-13_188.jpg   2012-11-04_10-06-31_948.jpg   2012-11-04_10-04-54_545.jpg   2012-11-03_12-51-00_742.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2012, 03:26 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: MEP-003 meters and fuel tank

Joe,

Your MEP-003A looks a bit more rusty than most, but the rust is mostly cosmetic and nothing that won't clean up with a little TLC. It is probably perfectly serviceable as is if you can be satisfied with its current appearance.

The paint coming off the generator head in large sheets rather than small chips is not unusual. I have seen more than a few like yours. Must have something to do with the metal being rust-prone and perhaps not properly prepared before painting. However, the electrical windings inside are well protected and should be OK.

I am sure you can get a replacement fuel tank with the fuel gauge, auxiliary fuel pump float switch and all the hose fittings, but I don't think it will be cheap. That is one part of an MEP-003A that is scarce because they do tend to get rust holes and I don't know that the military ever repaired them, just disposed of them when they developed leaks. I'd expect to pay at least $200 or more for a used one. I'd look in the classified ads here and on Steel Soldiers, and contact Tom at Gulf Coast Trucks. If you have the tank that came off your genset, I'd try to repair it before replacing it. There are lots of threads here about cleaning tanks, plugging small holes and using fuel tank sealer.

The gauges are not designed to be taken apart. They are supposed to be sealed units, but you can see that that feature didn't always work. The meter assembly is held together by a threaded ring on the back around the outside of the meter movement can that holds the meter movement can to the front escutcheon. You can disassemble it by carefully unscrewing the ring using a large pin wrench or similar tool applied to two grooves in the face of the ring. Don't be surprised or discouraged if you break the ring. It's made of pot metal and breaks easily. You can reassemble and reseal the meter by using pieces of the ring and an appropriate amount of RTV.

The only part of the air louvers that seems to be really difficult to repair or find new/used is the thermal expansion power unit. That's the thing that works like an automotive thermostat actuator. It's a sealed unit and I have never heard of anyone being able to repair a non-operational unit. You might be able to get a new replacement from Onan (now Cummins) but I shudder to think of the cost.

Generally, replacement parts of all kinds are available from the same sources as above, but many parts won't be as cheap as you might expect because of scarcity.

Hope this helps,
Richard
Old 11-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Registered-II

Thanks Richard for the great response. I went out this afternoon and tried to pull the sleeve out of the fuel tank and it was stuck solid. I'll worry about it later. I'll see what I can do with the gages when I get time. I also have to turn the reconnection switch 180 degrees. I'll keep you posted.

I appreciate the help.

Joe
Old 11-06-2012, 09:04 AM
Sponsor

From when I played with a large unit, the actuator should be a cylinder and piston with wax poured between the head of the piston and the sealed end of the cylinder. The wax expands at a given temperature and moves the piston to move the shutters. The only thing I can think of to keep it from working is rust/corosion/gunk between the piston shaft and the cylinder. Mounting the unit with piston up and cylinder down, then flood the space between the piston and cylinder with a bit of light oil, then gently heat/cool the cylinder to make the wax expand and contract alternately until the piston frees up and starts moving.
The Following User Says Thank You to bitsnpieces1:
Old 11-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Registered-II

Call Tom at 281-422-3200
He has parts at reasonable prices
R