New Server!
Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Witte color?

I have two Witte's one headless one later head type. Heed to know the proper color,colors. Thank...

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 2000 times

Old 12-07-2004, 11:37 AM
Registered-II

Default Witte color?

I have two Witte's one headless one later head type. Heed to know the proper color,colors. Thank you. Jerry Willis
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2004, 09:46 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,028 Posts
Default Re: Witte color?

Wendell's notebook says DuPont #5204 Acrylic enamel...However! Most DuPont automotive paint retailers are getting out of the CENTARI mixing business in favor of the more popular NASON synthetic enamel, or their basecoat/clearcoat systems...(NASON is the most inexpensive) I havn't tried to put clearcoat on an engine yet, Not sure just how it would look!....The closest thing I have found in a rattle can, is Rustoleum Hunter Green...Not the DARK hunter green!

David M.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Thanked 6,495 Times in 1,024 Posts

You will find that Krylon Hunter Green is a closer match than Rustoleum, but Krylon doesn't hold up to gasoline too well. It's OK if you are careful about spills. Buy a can and test it out. If it dries a long time, it holds up better.

Actually, I find it hard to understand why Rustoleum doesn't make a deep dark red or green for us antique restorers. Not enough demand I guess. They are heavily into light shades of pink and purple for furniture painters.

Another choice is to have a gallon mixed up at Sherwin-Williams and brush it on. This isn't as bad as you'd think and given the right temperature, it should flow on fine. Your color choice may shift between wet and dry.

http://old-engine.com/witte.htm
Old 12-08-2004, 12:09 PM
Registered-I

I use four parts Rustoleum Hunter Green and one Part Black. Makes a nice dark brewster green color.