Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

I hate this web site.

this thread has 34 replies and has been viewed 4587 times

Old 06-30-2013, 11:39 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,255 Times in 705 Posts
Default Re: I hate this web site.

12voltdc ,thanks for making your problem known I may never understand how to post pictures and so on here but I got all my friends that will help me. I am sure you will get it fiqured out .have a wonderful lords day god bless us all and peace be with us, Danny
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2013, 11:41 AM
Subscriber

try use irfanview.com I resize to 800x600 and shrink to smallest jpg size as possible.. I use that software for over 15 years. its 100% freeware.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,163 Times in 856 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Baalman View Post
Joe Harry responded in a very PROFESSIONAL manner. He works his tail off to provide you and me with this site. An if he can keep us all safe from the bad guys by making it tough to access, then so be it. This is the best thing we in the old engine hobby have going for us. I appreciate the guys who post pictures, I dont post them as I am a computer idiot. Tried a couple of times but didnt frustrate me as I am sure I was doing it wrong.
Well our definitions of professional obviously differ. If someone just [12/02/2012] subscribed to my site, contributed $20 and encountered a problem I would at least make an effort to reply on topic and politely.

Joe
Old 06-30-2013, 12:31 PM
Subscriber

Being fairly computer illiterate myself, what I did in the past to reduce picture size with Windows XP was to email the pictures to myself and have the computer reduce the size in so doing. Then I would save the reduced size pictures to my documents and upload them with my posts from there. Kinda a round about way of doing things but worked for me.

Bill

P.S. Should mention this is the only website that I check on a daily basis.

Last edited by Bill Sherlock; 06-30-2013 at 12:32 PM. Reason: added P.S.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:45 PM
Subscriber

If I had been handling 12volt's shot, I would have sent him his 20 bucks back, deleted the thread and barred him from getting on again. He didn't ask for help, just he hated the site. Like a lot of folks think the government owes them to get them through life. Looks like there a lot of folks on here that have figured it out or maybe have had help doing so but are able to contribute much to this hobby.
If there is someone who is so tech savvy that they think they can do a better job, why don't they build a better site. Yes, once they get into the cost, the time to spend keeping it up on a daily basis, even while on vacation, it takes away from things one would like to be doing, like working on engines, etc.
Harry doesn't get to have the freedom to play with his toys like most of us do because he has this web site for his life!
Many thanks to Harry and if you think you can do a better web site, have at it. This is the best one for me by far.
Dave
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DavidRaines For This Post:
Old 06-30-2013, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Thanked 6,858 Times in 1,089 Posts

Unprofessional? Don't overlook the fact that even ol' Harry can get a barb in his backside once in a while.

As to the newer cameras with umpteen megapixel photos, that's a problem. For our server to re-size a photo, the photo must still be uploaded to the server over the internet. That takes time, bandwidth and server processing power away from other users. Fortunately, we are doing pretty well where it sits. Processing to reduce a photo size can be done easily in a home computer. Multi-megapixel photos are for printing on paper, not for email and not for web forums.

As to a 4 photo limit. Have you ever read a post with sixteen emoticons? Cute, but did it really get the job done? Have you ever seen a post with four similar photos of the same thing? Yes! And, would you like ten more photos of the same thing while you are at it? Folks with show photos or project photos are most welcome to add more posts to their thread.

Yes, these settings can be expanded and maybe I will do so. We have a pretty decent dedicated dual processor eight core server right now, but the day can come when it will be bogged down and we will need to set up a new one. We are presently holding 111,743 threads, 886,882 posts and I don't even know how many photos. I'll check...

Total Attachments: 154,601 Disk Space Used: 14.50 GB Storage Type: Attachments are currently being stored in the filesystem. Average Attachment Filesize: 98.3 KB Total Downloads: 25,164,853

Five Most Popular Attachments
Filename User Name Downloads
1. CPG-Wards Parts Cover.jpg BTPost 12,377
2. Jack4134.jpg Harry 11,581
3. single phase.JPG Jim Rankin 7,617
4. Reeves 40 through the ice.jpg Beth V 7,568
5. scan0001.jpg Paul Spence 6,023

Five Largest Attachments
Filename User Name Filesize
1. days of steam & glory back cover 2.pdf 16GaarScott 389.4 KB
2. bearing-book.pdf RogerJ 387.9 KB
3. Scan_Doc0004.pdf TylerSlinden 384.0 KB
4. keystone3.pdf lbaldry 382.9 KB
5. bul_828-A_DWL_02-31-r3.pdf Dennis WEHS 381.2 KB

Five Users Whose Attachments Take Up the Most Space
User Name Attachments Total Size
1. Brothers Clemens 3,336 390.56 MB
2. G Willikers 2,463 207.24 MB
3. Paul Spence 1,807 186.83 MB
4. HBurk 1,236 179.71 MB
5. Rod Fielder 1,075 146.90 MB

The GALLERY:
Total Images: 10,710
Total Categories: 197
Disk Space: 941.73 MB
Total Views: 12,911,087

Registered Users: 54,189
Promoted Users: 6,457
Subscribers: 1,274
Sponsors: 105
And a few other old soreheads.

PS: Don't jump on the non-subscribers. They get to see and click on more ads than the subscribers.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:11 PM
Subscriber

To get around the file size, I keep one camera set to 3M pixels. The photo came out of the camera ready to post to this site.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrapMan View Post
Well our definitions of professional obviously differ. If someone just [12/02/2012] subscribed to my site, contributed $20 and encountered a problem I would at least make an effort to reply on topic and politely.

Joe
There are a lot of users here that didn't pay a dime. I'm surprised anyone can register and post without payment. Payment does provide more storage space.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,163 Times in 856 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
Unprofessional? Don't overlook the fact that even ol' Harry can get a barb in his backside once in a while.

As to the newer cameras with umpteen megapixel photos, that's a problem. For our server to re-size a photo, the photo must still be uploaded to the server over the internet. That takes time, bandwidth and server processing power away from other users. Fortunately, we are doing pretty well where it sits. Processing to reduce a photo size can be done easily in a home computer. Multi-megapixel photos are for printing on paper, not for email and not for web forums.

As to a 4 photo limit. Have you ever read a post with sixteen emoticons? Cute, but did it really get the job done? Have you ever seen a post with four similar photos of the same thing? Yes! And, would you like ten more photos of the same thing while you are at it? Folks with show photos or project photos are most welcome to add more posts to their thread.

Yes, these settings can be expanded and maybe I will do so. We have a pretty decent dedicated dual processor eight core server right now, but the day can come when it will be bogged down and we will need to set up a new one. We are presently holding 111,743 threads, 886,882 posts and I don't even know how many photos.

Total Attachments: 154,601 Disk Space Used: 14.50 GB Storage Type: Attachments are currently being stored in the filesystem. Average Attachment Filesize: 98.3 KB Total Downloads: 25,164,853
Thanks and apologies Harry, I completely understand your limitations and how carefully you have to tread to not end up with a sever full of terrible pictures and emoticons and I think your upload restrictions are very sensible. Would it cripple the sever to resize 3.5mb pics? That would just about cover everyone having difficulties at the moment. It would be nice to allow people to include more images they have hosted within their posts without letting them go insane with emoticons.

Joe
Old 06-30-2013, 03:01 PM
Registered-II

Congratulations Mr. G. Willikers...... Great to see a Canuck on the leader board and in second place. A few more attachments and you have a chance at hoisting the Stacker Cup for 2013!

Old 06-30-2013, 08:21 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,791 Times in 547 Posts

When I take pictures with my phone I email them to myself, you have a choice of small medium or large and it gives you the size, I can usually post a medium.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,218 Times in 1,848 Posts

You tell 'em, Harry!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 07-01-2013, 12:45 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,594 Times in 908 Posts

I love this site. I have been here a few years. I did learn to post a picture, thanks to a wife that was into computer pictures and 2 sons that are in the computer world. But what the HECK is a emoticon? Bill K

Last edited by oldproff; 07-01-2013 at 05:30 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldproff For This Post:
Old 07-01-2013, 01:12 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,562 Posts

Thanks Harry for the site,only one I am on but that is the way I want it to be,I was a shop steward at one time,I somewhat know what you deal with,only a much LARGER scale!! And doing it on your vacation too!! I haven't been on here for very long and some might not like my BS ,but do I really care,on this site I have met some of the nicest people on the face of the planet so far,and the engine ads are top notch,with some of the sponsors I have talked to,Thanks HARRY for the BEST WEB SITE!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSl...PiZv9TNnMWmjEg

http://augermo.com/home/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich Mueller Sr For This Post:
Old 07-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Thanked 6,858 Times in 1,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldproff View Post
But what the HECK is a emoticon? Bill K
An emotion icon, used to put a face on some of the off color remarks that can occur on a keyboard.