Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Pacifiic Marine pumper type Ny

this thread has 26 replies and has been viewed 2003 times

Old 01-14-2012, 04:41 PM
Registered-III

Default Pacifiic Marine pumper type Ny

does any one know what size hose the inlet/discharge should be. it looks like 1 1/4 to me for the discharge but im not sure on the inlet. thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2012, 12:57 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Pacifiic Marine pumper type Ny

MFG website- http://www.wildfire-env.com/eng/index.php
The Following User Says Thank You to Klicknative:
Old 01-15-2012, 02:31 PM
Subscriber

Not what you wanted but maybe you can use this somehow

Old 01-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Subscriber

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steven W:
Old 01-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Subscriber

Dont know alot about the pumper but this is the info I have
Attached Thumbnails
PC160001.jpg   PC160002.jpg   PC160003.jpg   PC160004 (2).jpg  
Old 01-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Registered-III

Sweet. thanks can you make a copy ?
Old 01-15-2012, 09:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,576 Times in 895 Posts

That is a nice pumper and some nice uprights in the back ground. Thanks Bill K
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldproff:
Old 01-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Subscriber

I have a bit of literature that I will dig out and look to see if the hose threads are identified specifically.

They are probably not a National Pipe Thread and if so, avoid "trying" a fitting of incorrect size onto a "close but no cigar" fire hose thread on your pump as this can cause damage.

Adapters are available, for a price, allowing mixing and matching of different thread sizes to get some use from your already-owned hoses, nozzles, fittings, etc.

For real firefighting or proper industrial usage, intermingling of thread types within a system is taboo (severely frowned upon) but ya' gotta do whatcha gotta do. Make sure to use some sort of suction strainer to keep trash and pebbles from entering the pump as it is a positive displacement pump using multiple geared lobes and not much clearance.

By all means hook up some hose and pump some water! It's a for real blast! Hang on tight to the hose!

Probably keep the mosquitoes away in the summer time......not from the water, but from the exhaust, provided fuel is mixed as/per the posted manual.

Great fun !!
Old 01-15-2012, 09:39 PM
Registered-III

Thanks kid. Im familiar with the "business" end of hoseline I've handled 1 inch up to 2.5 handline with smooth bore and fog nozzles.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Subscriber

Well good. It needs water for both cooling and for a load to keep the engine from overspeeding, according to "the book".

Hose sizes in a book:

Suction: 2" Hose Thread 2-11/32" dia.- 11.5 T.P.I.

Disch: 1-1/2" Hose Thread 1-7/8" dia.-11.5 T.P.I.

Exhaust: same thread size listed as for discharge

This what I have.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:13 PM
Registered-III

Thanks kid. Ill have to see if our firedepartment will let me confirm those with some hoseline before I buy any for myself
Old 01-17-2012, 12:06 AM
Subscriber

Check out a few of these charts I just found. Here's one with hose thread info. About halfway down is a little chart that makes me think our pumps might have Chicago Fire Department Thread, but I'm not sure. And....look how close some of those "different" threads are. Some will screw together close enough to "swage" one or both out-of shape, causing a leaker and

http://www.dixonpowhatan.com/resources/thread_info.php

Here's another one showing regular pipe threads, and some of them are also "close, but no cigar".

http://www.engineersedge.com/hardwar...pe-threads.htm

(Both charts are more than I want to know and no, I didn't read them.)

I've bought a few fire hoses at "tag sales" over the years but have no idea if they'll work with the NY pumps. Maybe this will help me get mine sorted out too.

The first of mine to get the engine torn down caught me by surprise as all the needle bearings fell onto the floor. That engine is still in pieces but I got a pretty good look at the innards.

The next one was stuck but that turned out to be debris in the pump so I got a peek into a pump, too. (30 wt engine oil for the pump oil reservoir). I figured I would keep the engine together. I put a quart of motor oil into the crankcase and rolled the whole engine upside down and every which way to get oil all over everything, as well as turning the crankshaft.

I drained it overnight but there must have still been a bit of oil in there. The carb and magneto were in order so I took the now-assembled unit outside the shop, gassed her up and pulled the starting cord. (No water to the pump....just a quick test....right?)

Well, it started right up and was blowing a gigantic cloud of oil smoke as the engine revved up to several thousand rpm before you could say "shut her off, Laddy!".

But we did shut her off before things got too crazy and had a good laugh as the smoke subsided. Haven't run it since. Probably wait until the no-frost time of the year to stick a suction hose in the lake!
Old 01-17-2012, 02:53 AM
Registered-III

I bet it was quite a site.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,493 Posts
Exclamation Re: Pacifiic Marine pumper type Ny

I have several pacific Pumpers, both N and NY models. One is accepted by the Navy department, Oct 11, 1941, and another in 1939. output: about 80GPM@100 PSIG. If you run your units, you MUST have a restriction on the outlet, in order to allow cooling on the engine. If the engine runs dry for more than a minute, at full speed, IT WILL BURN UP! I believe the threads on the piping are New York Spec Fire service. I had to get hose adapters to accomodate fire hose my FD uses (NFS). Inlet is 2" hard suction, outlet 11/2", with a 3/4" smooth bore nozzle, it will shoot a stream about 100 feet. A 1/2" nozzle gives more distance. At top speed, these engines will turn at about 6,800 RPM, under load! They will turn in the 7s if allowed to flare (cavitate or suck air) Running no load is not recommended!

I have posted several threads on the Stak, asking for data on these units, over the years, and have never got the replies I have seen today! Thanks, fellows!

Stephen W, is there a chance I could get a copy of your manual? Although my '39 pumper has a detailed brass info plate, your manual certainly is more complete in nature.

For those of you who run your units, DO NOT skimp on the oiling! DO NOT use modern 2 cycle lubes. They are too thin to lube the engine internals prioperly. DO NOT cut the oiling ratio (8:1) When used by the Navy, these units were used on deck. The exhaust was hooked to an old hose, and the fumes and engine cooling water were piped overboard. If you do not like the mess and smoke 8:1 leaves by your engine, attach an old fire hose to the exhaust outlet, and run it some distance away. It does muffle some of the noise. When pumping, especialy with the exhaust hose, you will get a marked improovement in engine performance by openning the exhaust bypass on top of the engine. Be forwarned though, the noise is incredible (open pipe exhaust). I have a lot of fun demonstrating my pumpers at shows. I run the units off a 35 gallon barrel, I salvaged from a gas station (grease barrel). I start the engine, recirculating the water to the barrel, until the engine warms up(usually about 2 minutes). I then turn the nozzle skyward, and let the pump empty the barrel, usually takes about 30 seconds. When the engine flares, it is shut off. In the meantime, the water shot into the air, has not reached the ground - yet. After the engine is silent for aabout 15 seconds, people are beginning to wonder where the water went. Then the 35 gallons hit the ground - in total silence. Makes for quite a sight!
Andrew
Old 01-17-2012, 04:13 PM
Registered-III

thanks Andrew. where did you find the adapters/couplings
Old 01-17-2012, 06:32 PM
Subscriber

Anybody that wants a copy of the manual pm me your address and I will make several copys and mail those out to you in a couple weeks no problem. Thanks for all the info on this thred

I am going to try to make an adobe file and you can just print it out, ill get the scanner fired up and try that havent tried that before.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steven W:
Old 01-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Registered-III

Pulled out a tpi gauge and both sides measure 11.5 tpi
Old 03-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Registered-III

Just an update on this project I talked with our firedepartment and was able to borrow a hose adapter that goes from 1.5 pipe to 1.5 hose it all fits together.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:26 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,151 Times in 1,799 Posts

As was stated above: there are many different type of fire hose threads. Depending on the area of the country you could find used fire hose for a song with the correct thread. Most of the Navy equipment used [ NH] national hose.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Registered-III

Ya after talking with our firedepartment the chief said hell give me some used hose and might have a nozzle as well.