Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Tecumseh NOS AH58 - Fired it up

I built a test mount out of storebought metal shelf brackets to test one of these yesterday - it...

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 923 times

Old 01-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Registered-I

Default Tecumseh NOS AH58 - Fired it up

I built a test mount out of storebought metal shelf brackets to test one of these yesterday - it was nearly 80 degrees and sunny, had to do something outside.

I removed the spark plug from the motor, just a little sign of use, from test running at the factory in 1974, I suppose. I squirted some oil into the cylinder and pulled the cord - the starter had to break loose, then it pulled smoothly. I replaced the spark plug.

I did not oil the air cleaner, just left it dry, but squirted some carb cleaner into the very clean throat and exercised the throttle and choke. I left the idle mixture as it came from the factory, but opened the throttle a turn.

I rigged up a gas feed higher than the motor and fed it some fresh 40-1 mix I'm using to break in one of those little Harbor Freight 900 watt generators through an inline filter. I pulled a couple of times and it didn't sound as if it was firing, then I noticed that I had bumped the toggle switch to the off position, so I held it down differently and pulled a couple more times, it fired up.

I have not been a motor person, but it sounded nice, louder than the generator, which is more heavily muffled. I lowered the idle speed and adjusted the mixture a little, but did not run it long enough to stabilize the temperature to adjust it fine. I am impressed with how it revs up so fast when the throttle is bumped compared to a 4 cycle.

I have 4 of these now, I think they'll be perfect for a number of applications where the HF 212cc 4 cycle blues and Predators are just too big and heavy.

Suggestions for economical gas tanks for these things? Where should I buy a cheap tach so I can tell where to set the idle?

Thanks,

Frank
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,603 Times in 2,335 Posts
Exclamation Re: Tecumseh NOS AH58 - Fired it up

If you have any paperwork on the engine, check the oil mix. 40:1 may be too lean on oil for that engine. If that is factory ratio, then no problem. I would be more comfortable with 32:1 myself. Check with a local mower shop, and see if they have a vibratory tach you can buy. There are several models out there. You might try EBay as well.
Andrew
Old 01-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Tecumseh NOS AH58 - Fired it up

Don't know about the 58, but the 47 I'm projecting on says right on it to run 16:1 for the first 5 hrs. 32:1 after that.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,603 Times in 2,335 Posts
Exclamation Re: Tecumseh NOS AH58 - Fired it up

That would be more in line with my thinking. I know that 40:1 was used on the latest engines (1990s), but earlier engines were not built for that lean a oil mix. Running a too lean oil ratio will damage the piston, rings and cylinder, and eventually the crank seals will go as well. If the crank has roller bearings, they might be OK for a while, but I wouldn't chance it. The earlier engines were built to last. The later ones were 'programmed obsolescense' engines. Designed to run full out for 3 years, and then die, so that you would have to buy a new machine. More often than not, the snow blowers many of these engines were mounted in were made of plastic and rubber. The machine often wore out as fast as the engine. TORO power shovels as well as other makes of that type machine come to mind. 3 to 4 years and done Oh yeah - don't forget the disclaimer: 90 days commercial use! If you look at the time a home owner uses a machine, compared to a commercial user, the total hours is about the same for wear out!
Andrew
Old 01-29-2012, 01:38 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Tecumseh NOS AH58 - Fired it up

Thanks for the heads up, gentlemen. I'll bring that down to 16-1 as I play with this first motor. Hopefully the 5 minutes I ran it at relatively low rpm so far did no harm.

I did a quick google search, the claimed horsepower for these in chainsaw operation was high - 6 to 7. I know that 2 stroke is generally more powerful than 4 stroke of the same displacement in simple stock form, but was that ad hype?

I found carb rebuild kits on ebay, got one USA and one Brazil. I'll look them over with a jeweler's loupe to see if there are any obvious differences and get a few more spares. I have a 3 year old son and I want him to be able to use these motors, I think I will end up with 6 of them, so a few will be stored another 10 years at least.

I'll go looking for vibration tachs now.

I think centrifugal clutches are going to be a problem. I suppose new ones will cost $100+ - haven't found any used ones yet.