Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers, pumps, washers and antiquities of the industrial revolution.

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles

Wooden corn sheller project

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 3057 times

Old 02-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Registered-II

Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Default Wooden corn sheller project

I was given an antique wooden cornsheller to fix up by a guy my dad knows. Well after inspection I determined its all there, just all 4 legs are in need of replacement I need to replace the top and make a new bottom to direct the kernals into a bucket. I have found some traces of blue paint on the side panels and some very faint pinstripeing. I would like to know if anyone knows how old this is and who made it,
Thanks alot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZGUdOnw7lI
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2012, 07:21 PM
Subscriber

Liked 979 Times in 582 Posts
Default Re: Wooden corn sheller project

Good luck with it, you did a good job of the basic analysis that it would be good if you do an "After" one. Looking forward to that.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 02-05-2012, 09:50 PM
Registered-II

Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

I don't know what kind it is, but its got to be around 100 years old. Generally, wooden shellers were built before 1920, when steel shellers started appearing. Try not to replace any more wood than you have to. When you put new wood in an old wooden machine, you seem to take some originality and nostalgia out of it, more so than with a steel machine. If possible, try not to paint the old wood. Just put some preservative on it. I have an old wooden sheller that is a family heirloom. It has faded pinstriping and writing, but that adds to the nostalgia!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Registered-II

Liked 151 Times in 57 Posts

41Briggs,
I think your sheller might have been made by A.B. Farquhar of York PA. They were large builder of farm machinery from the late 1800's through the 1950's with a full line of equipment including steam engines, early gas tractors, sawmills, etc. They were bought out by Oliver in the 50's. I think you might have a model called the Eclipse but I have to do some checking to be sure.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hartz View Post
41Briggs,
I think your sheller might have been made by A.B. Farquhar of York PA. They were large builder of farm machinery from the late 1800's through the 1950's with a full line of equipment including steam engines, early gas tractors, sawmills, etc. They were bought out by Oliver in the 50's. I think you might have a model called the Eclipse but I have to do some checking to be sure.
Cool thanks alot for the info

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Gilder View Post
I don't know what kind it is, but its got to be around 100 years old. Generally, wooden shellers were built before 1920, when steel shellers started appearing. Try not to replace any more wood than you have to. When you put new wood in an old wooden machine, you seem to take some originality and nostalgia out of it, more so than with a steel machine. If possible, try not to paint the old wood. Just put some preservative on it. I have an old wooden sheller that is a family heirloom. It has faded pinstriping and writing, but that adds to the nostalgia!
I dont plan to replace more than i need to. I like the old rustic look better anyways. All i want is it to be sturdy.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Registered-III

Liked 511 Times in 385 Posts

I would say that you most likely have a Tiffin corn sheller. If you do a Google image search, you'll find that the colors seem to line up as well as the castings for the bearings, and the flywheel (which was common to several brands).
Old 02-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Registered-III

Liked 224 Times in 156 Posts

Chuck will chime in soon?
Old 02-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Registered-II

Liked 79 Times in 38 Posts

here is my tiffin
when i started on it

finished

not correct but i did it the way i wanted
you can see all of my info i could find for mine here

http://rolke.dyndns.org/ftp/corn%20sheller/
The Following 2 Users Like This Post:
Old 02-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrolke View Post
here is my tiffin
when i started on it

finished

not correct but i did it the way i wanted
you can see all of my info i could find for mine here

http://rolke.dyndns.org/ftp/corn%20sheller/
sure does look like it
Old 02-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Registered-II

Liked 61 Times in 36 Posts

Unless I'm seeing it wrong, it looks like the 4 main posts extend beyond the top board. That's unusual and so is the casting at the cob discharge hole. A rear discharge Tiffin would usually have the flat cast piece surrounding about 3/4's of the hole. You can see that in the picture of the previous posting.

Are there any casting numbers on it? A Tiffin hopper should have a "U" on it. I think a Keystone had "N" and then a number. Can't remember what Farquhar numbers were.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post
Unless I'm seeing it wrong, it looks like the 4 main posts extend beyond the top board. That's unusual and so is the casting at the cob discharge hole. A rear discharge Tiffin would usually have the flat cast piece surrounding about 3/4's of the hole. You can see that in the picture of the previous posting.

Are there any casting numbers on it? A Tiffin hopper should have a "U" on it. I think a Keystone had "N" and then a number. Can't remember what Farquhar numbers were.
I will have to wire wheel it and look maybe tommorow.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Registered-II

Quote:

I just looked, its kind of hard to make out if its an N or an H more than likely N and its followed by a 7.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Registered-II

Liked 61 Times in 36 Posts

Here's a picture of a hopper from a 1-hole Keystone "Invincible". The casting number is N17.

I would guess your sheller is from the Keystone Farm Machine Co., York, Pa. The problem is according to a 1908 Farm Implement News buyers Guide, the following one-hole shellers were made by Keystone.

Burrall, Clinton, Clipper, Codorus, Cumberland Valley, Dixie, Eagle, Economy, Imperial, Invincible, Noxall, Our Baby, Reliance, Southern, Susquehanna, and Tiger.

Burrall, Clinton, CV, Economy and Invincible can be ruled out.

I've not seen a Keystone with the screen, but it's not out of the question that the screen on your sheller may be original. Other Pennsylvania manufacturers had the screen to discharge the corn to the flywheel side.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0598.JPG  
Old 02-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Here's a picture of a hopper from a 1-hole Keystone "Invincible". The casting number is N17.

I would guess your sheller is from the Keystone Farm Machine Co., York, Pa. The problem is according to a 1908 Farm Implement News buyers Guide, the following one-hole shellers were made by Keystone.

Burrall, Clinton, Clipper, Codorus, Cumberland Valley, Dixie, Eagle, Economy, Imperial, Invincible, Noxall, Our Baby, Reliance, Southern, Susquehanna, and Tiger.

Burrall, Clinton, CV, Economy and Invincible can be ruled out.

I've not seen a Keystone with the screen, but it's not out of the question that the screen on your sheller may be original. Other Pennsylvania manufacturers had the screen to discharge the corn to the flywheel side.
Yes that is what my hopper looks like, it might even have the same casting number but id have to get a rubbing with a pencil and paper to know for sure. How would the missing panel look on the flywheel side if the screen on mine is original? It would also be missing some baffles on the inside of the sheller to direct the kernals onto the screen.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:18 PM
Registered-I

Liked 45 Times in 7 Posts

I have an old Dains corn sheller and it is not in the best of condition. Some of the paint could flake off very easily. Does anyone know of a way of preserving the paint as it is without being detrimental to the value of the sheller? I was thinking of something like clear spray acrylic paint as an example. Thanks
Old 02-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Registered-II

Liked 151 Times in 57 Posts

cchopper,
Try using the paint additive Penetrol. It will do a good job of rejuvinating the paint that is left and help keep it from flaking off. Clean off as much dirt as you can first than apply the penetrol just as it comes out of the can.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:50 AM
Sponsor

Liked 58 Times in 53 Posts

Check with a nearby museum or art gallery. Art restorers use some type of adhesive to reattach flaking paint on paintings. It would need to be really good at that as well as being non damaging to the painting and removable in the future. They should be able to steer you in the right direction. Les