Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Worn down armature and poles

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1246 times

Old 02-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Subscriber

Liked 608 Times in 231 Posts
Default Worn down armature and poles

I have a Wico that needs some help. It will spark in a tester but not overly strong. When I put it on my Little Jumbo, the armature pulls away before the spring becomes anywhere close to fully compressed. I thought it was a weak magnet but had it recharged and no change. The guy who charged it noted that the armature wasnt sitting very flat.

I looked at it and crap, it looks pretty bad. It almost looks like the armature poles are rounded on the outside edges. You can see a good amount space under the outer 1/4 of the armature on each end.

The result is not hold for a good snap down.

How am I going to fix this? I am afraid if I start filing on crap, I am going to make it worse. Any suggestions on how I can even up the armature and poles by hand? From personal experience, its very difficult for me to keep a file flat when doing it by hand.

-Steve
Old 02-25-2012, 12:22 AM
Sponsor

Liked 3,902 Times in 2,521 Posts
Exclamation Re: Worn down armature and poles

Sounds like the core of the armature was severely worn, and the poles and shoe wore down as the shoe was not hitting the poles evenly. You would have to machine both the poles and the shoe to make them meet evenly, and also make sure that the core is nice and tight, and not worn out. Sorry to say, it may be cheaper to turn this one in for a replacement, and let the next guy worry about repairing it.
Andrew
Old 02-25-2012, 02:41 PM
Subscriber

Liked 65 Times in 63 Posts
Default Re: Worn down armature and poles

Steve; send it to me and I'll fix it for you. I've got a few parts around for those and it shouldn't be too tough.
Bud
Old 02-26-2012, 05:28 AM
Subscriber

Liked 608 Times in 231 Posts
Default Re: Worn down armature and poles

There were a number of high spots on the poles and the armature that I went over with a large flat file. I tried to keep the work minimal. I did improve things a little bit. I took it apart and was looking at the bottom and noticed that the bottom plate that holds the points and the pin didnt seem to match up well. It almost seemed like it was tilted back because it didnt match up very well with the other piece on the bottom. I tore down another wico that was pretty messed up and scavenged the bottom plate from that Wico and put it on this one. It matched up much better and it appeared that the armature was making better contact and was harder to remove.

I had to move the points from the one base to the other. While I was doing that, I noticed that they were not adjusted according to the manual. The were breaking contact immediately when the armature was pulled down. I put a spacer between the armature an the poles that was roughtly 3/32 thick (give or take a 32nd). I adjusted the points so a piece of paper would barely slide between them and then hooked it up to the Little Jumbo. The armature was staying in place for just a hair longer (about 5 degrees worth on the flywheel) and the spark tester was giving me a weak flash. I noticed that the little arm that jerks the mag armature down seemed to be a little off to so I pushed toward the engine a bit and it did move a smidge.

After that I was having a great spark and the engine took off running like a champ. After a full afternoon of trying different things, I have a working magneto again. Pretty happy about that. I would try something and then check it then try something else. I dont think it was any 1 thing but more of a bunch of things.

1. There were highspots on the armature
2. Where were some highspots on the poles
3. The points were not set correctly
4. The base piece didnt seem to match up well
5. The arm on the engine needed a little adjustment.

Its a nice bright spark now.

Thanks for your offer Bud. I do have one other Wico EK. It needs some help though. one of the coils is dead, the mounting holes on the rear bracket are stripped out and it needs a new condensor. I might need some help with that one.

-Steve