Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

New member from Alabama

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 1461 times

Old 02-27-2012, 02:12:17 PM
Registered

Default New member from Alabama

My name is David Willingham and I just wanted to introduce myself before I started asking questions.

I live in Blountsville, AL and own a CNC machine shop. We build billet aluminum drag racing parts such as superchargers, rearend housings, motor plates, etc. I like all things engine, from cars & trucks to tractors, both new and old. Sometime in the near future, I would like to buy my Dad a hit & miss engine for us to play while he's still able to tinker.

Thanks,
David Willingham
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ProF100 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2012, 02:42:54 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: New member from Alabama

hi david...welcome to the engine hobby ! there are pleanty of engines around to get started with. if you havent looked, go to the "engin ads"..theres usually some good deals there. im just over in americus ga if you want to come visit. theres some nice stuff on there now but invariably they are on the other side of the country. not much here in the southeast. ive got a couple engines on the adds now and a bunch more setting around..good luck..ed
Old 02-27-2012, 04:53:41 PM
Registered-III

David, I bought my first engine just before my dad retired. We started going to shows and buying stuff for him to tinker with and keep occupied. He is now eighty three and does not do as much, but he still fools with the small stuff like magnetos and the occasional tractor engine. I found out a lot about my dad that I did not know before we started looking at old engines and going to shows. There is something about a dad teaching his kids from his knowledge that I think is very special.

Good luck, and if I can help send me a note.
John Walls
The Following User Says Thank You to John W For This Post:
Old 02-27-2012, 07:00:02 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,528 Times in 3,164 Posts

Welcome Aboard.

You didn't mention if your Dad worked with old engines when they were new (or at least still in use) or if he had grown up as a city kid and never got around them in his younger days. Either way, it should be a good 'bonding' experience, whether you're learning about them together, or if he's passing along his knowlege about them.

Even though they share the same basic operation as the modern racing engines you're familiar with, there are also a lot of differences in them.

Enjoy searching the Stak, and feel free to join in whether it's to ask a question or post a comment.

Even though a lot of people complain about it, ebay can be a good source for engines too, in almost any condition from a handful of parts to complete running engines. And the market sets the price if you're not sure what they're worth. Not all of them are worth the asking price, as everyone thinks theirs is the best example out there and worth top dollar. EBay kind of levels the playing field with the buyers setting the price. If you're not worried about originality, you could pick up a parts engine fairly cheap and carve out some Aluminum parts as needed to get it running.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:27:50 PM
Registered

I was raised in Arab, AL (pronounced "A-rab", not the middle-eastern "Air-ab") and lived in the country my whole life. My Dad started out as an auto mechanic in 1965. He got a job at the Anniston Army Depot around 1970 rebuilding tank engines coming back from Vietnam. I was born in 1972 and grew up working on cars, trucks, lawnmowers or whatever my dad was working on. In 1980, Dad got transfered to Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville to work on all types of heavy equipment. In 1988, we bought a poultry farm and continued to work on everything.

I graduated in 1990 and went on to be a draftsman and then that turned into a machinist in 1992. I worked at three shops over 18 years and became the shop supervisor at the last two and learned the whole deal from quoting to the finished part. In 2008, I had enough with working for "the man" and went out on my own. My Dad retired after 34 years with the government and came to work for me.

He works for me about 2-3 weeks out of every month and we get along pretty well. I will say we can build and/or fix just about anything mechanical. He likes old tractors and has been going to tractor shows for 15-20 years. I have my Granddad's 1954 Super A he bought almost new in 1955. Dad likes the old engines and thought an old medium-sized hit & miss would be a good project that wasn't too big and take too long to complete. I just need to know what to look for and what to stay away from.
The Following User Says Thank You to ProF100 For This Post:
Old 02-27-2012, 08:25:22 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,597 Times in 912 Posts

Hi welcome to the stak. I think I may be about a year ahead of your dad. I started working as a mechanic at the pontiac place in Jackson in 1964 at the age of 17. Went to work as a civilian mechanic for the army in 1970. As far as engines go the first one can be in fairly good shape. It really depends on how much fun yall want before you actually run it. There is a good show in the summer at Tannerhill state park. Just west of Birmingham AL. Last year I bought 2 hit and miss engines there.There may be some shows early in the year closer to you. Bill K

Last edited by oldproff; 02-28-2012 at 07:32:57 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldproff For This Post:
Old 02-27-2012, 09:00:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,329 Times in 807 Posts

Welcome, I grew up in the 60's, Early 60's everybody had a hot rod, Always wanted one, Dad was a highway patrolman. No fast car, no Harley. Got out of the Seabee's in 1970. Went to a dirt stock car race and was hooked. Built 3 cars, engines, etc. Started a family and went on. Kids started racing go karts in 1986. Started building there engines. Also had a flywheel engine. These things fascinated me. I was thinking too complicated. Have two trailer loads of engines now. Enjoy them tremendously, as well as the people who enjoy the same. Wish my dad was still alive for me to have him with me and also enjoy them. Your business will pay you big dividens when fooling with these things. Both my sons became machinist. A hobby I was only self taught in. Enjoy your time with your dad. You'll never regret it, as well as tinkering with "our precious relics of antiquity" You've got a fun future ahead of you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pat Barrett For This Post:
Old 03-11-2012, 12:04:23 AM

Thanked 3,203 Times in 773 Posts

A big welcome aboard from Connecticut, David.

I reccommend you take up Ed Lowell's invitation and take your Dad on over to his place in Americus, Georgia. You'll learn a lot and see a lot. Ed wasn't kidding when he said he had a bunch laying around. It is like an antique engine museum over there. You might just find something to take home with you. I did.

Gil

Old 03-11-2012, 11:28:46 AM
Registered-III

welcome to the stac. From Columbus , I have been to A-Rab anc Cleveland both this last summer . Both great people
T
Old 03-11-2012, 11:39:24 AM
Subscriber

Welcome to the "Stak". . It's a great place to be. I've learned alot and shared information with many. Best of all, I've made some great friends !