Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu, and clones.

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators

Chinese gensets - good/bad experiences?

All, I wanted to create a thread for others to report back how well the Chinese gensets work do or...

this thread has 69 replies and has been viewed 10280 times

Old 03-13-2012, 06:30 AM
Sponsor

Default Re: Chinese gensets - good/bad experiences?

of course I too have one of those 2 stroke
humorously rated at 1Kw [peak]
from the close out catalog [heartland]

I use it with a hedge clippers once or twice a year
rather than hoist a 5 Kw in to the pickup.
[universal motor about 500 watt hedge clippers]

there is a slight drip from the mixture screw
I have been told this is a new cleansing feature
that keeps the carb from gumming up.
I add fuel preservative anyway, turn off the valve,
and run the carb out when shutting down.

they are, of course, banned in CA
where there is already enough smog.

like most of these klunkerators
I would not try to run it any where near its rated output
but at a 50% peak with an even lower duty cycle average
it is working for now. [or at least did last year]
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2012, 08:58 AM
Registered-II

Friend of mine bought bought a Honda clone from a big hardware chain here, and used it running power tools in a slate quarry for several hot summers,then left it outdoors for one of our tropical wet seasons. Brought it to me saying it would not turn over. Lifted the head and found a carbon build up had flaked off and fallen to the bottom of the angled cylinder, and was caught between the piston and the squish side of the head. Cleaned it out and re-set the valve clearance, (shitmetal rocker arms a bit worn) Replaced rewind rope, fired up and loaded it to rated capacity, checked voltage and frequency, both spot on. Not sure who was most surprised, him or me! It was something branded "Global Machinery Co". Guess it's the luck of the draw. Combustor.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:45 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,325 Times in 878 Posts

Hedge clippers, chain saw - the heck with loading and setting up a Gen, hoping it will start after sitting??? long.
I gutted an old UPS friend was throwing out because replacement batteries cost more than a new one. Checked that battery cables wer isolated from AC side. Neighbor was throwing out a jumpstarter. I took the cables off that and attached to UPS. Dremeled battery cover to allow cables to pass.
Clip on my vehicle battery - Instant AC - no fuss. Always starts - no cord to pull.
I can run the hedge clippers on the battery. If I need to use the chain saw for more than a few minutes, I let vehicle idle.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:29 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne 440 View Post
The Honeywell and Generac portable inverter sets are virtually identical except for the decals and color of the plastic case. If you put them side by side the connection is obvious. There is another brand that is also the same, but I cannot recall it at the moment.
That would be the ETQ brand. I have one of the 800 watt units and it generates, kinda, sorta, runs some what smoothly, leaks a little oil. Got it for free with an Amazon gift card I received from a training class.

Randy AB9GO
Old 03-21-2012, 10:29 PM
Subscriber

When I was looking for a reliable generator for outages I was led to the off-grid types and liked what they like to run so I built one. 650 RPM Indian single cylinder diesel driving an 1800 RPM Chinese ST 5KW head. No elctronic regulator to go bad, just cast iron, copper brushes and slip rings. Does have a bridge rectifier,bought a couple spares for $10. I took everything apart, engine and head and put them together right QC in India is worse than China. Not a USA made part in it. Do I like that? Nope but it is realiable as the sun coming up and going back down and I do like that.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Registered-I

I recently bought a light tower with a Kubota D905 engine and Newage/Stamford gen head for stand by use. Engine from Japan and gen head from England. I sold the light tower parts and shortened the tongue. I live in the middle of a small city with lots of old big trees. Our power can go out for a week in a wind or ice storm. My 2 diesel and one gasoline uints are fine but from the first time I saw a Kubota engine I had to have one
My "Silent" Leading 6800T and my 3500 watt open frame diesel generators are now for sale. Both run perfectly. I have a 13 HP blue Harbor frieght "Gray Hound" engine powering my 4 gpm 4000 psi pressure washer. It's going on 4 years old and runs perfectly no problems.
I have a Generac iX2000 inverter unit I use for my small camping trailer. It's from China and when cold starts perfectly. However when shut it off in hot weather I think it suffers from vapor lock because it will not restart untill it cools off
I too remember when Jap stuff was Crap and have been watching Chinese products rise in quality.

Joe
Old 04-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,129 Times in 1,446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
I recently bought a light tower with a Kubota D905 engine and Newage/Stamford gen head...My "Silent" Leading 6800T and my 3500 watt open frame diesel generators are now for sale...
Now that you have the Kubota, do you have a new understanding of the word silent?
Old 04-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne 440 View Post
Now that you have the Kubota, do you have a new understanding of the word silent?
The design of the light tower did not take noise into consideration
Yes the engine is fairley quiet, it's running at half the RPM's and is cast iron water cooled instead of air cooled aluminum. The two main sources of noise on the Light tower gen set are the cooling fan for the generator and the "glass pack" style stock muffler. I can't say the generator cooling fan sounds like a siren but it is noticable. The stock Kubota glass pack muffler filters out the high pitch noise but leaves the rumble that we liked on our V8's of old The trailer design of the "boss" light tower has an open bottom unlike other units I've seen. I've put rubber weather stripping around the side doors and that helped a little. More work on sound deadening is needed.

All in all my "Silent" Chinese generator is about the same as my Kubota unit. Just different frequencies.
But difference in longivity is night and day
Old 04-10-2012, 09:02 AM
Sponsor

dropping the DB level

in cars they used a self adhesive rubber and foil
to cut the vibration of sheet-metal
https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp...w=1305&bih=705
might help the enclosures
The Following User Says Thank You to armandh:
Old 04-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Registered-I

I've fashioned deflectors for the gen head air outputs that helped a lot on the cooling fan's. I'm going to start a new thread on mufflers because it would have nothing to do with Chinese units
Old 04-29-2012, 06:34 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,325 Times in 878 Posts

Re noise -We wanted something that would not burn unless soaked, so we bought 3/4 inch fiberglass ceiling tiles, ripped off the vinyl, cut to fit panels and glued on with weatherproof silicone adhesive. Cut noise way down, friend very happy.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Registered-I

I have been dealing generators for a while now, both Honda & often cheap Chinese models. On the whole most come over ready to roll & offer pretty good value (depending on the Importers markup obviously). When churning them out fast as possible often using 12-14 year olds & older and work them Heaven knows how many Hours to get those $US in hardly surprising the quality control drops badly, (all insist on being paid in &). I have seen loose flywheels= destroyed key-ways, generator with only 1 out of 6 bolts tight the others hanging out, on the same unit they had connected the 2x110Volt windings in opposite Polarity, surprisingly the generator windings survived this.
I agree with PPJMS , the richer Importers lay out $500,000 pay the Import Tax then make $2 Million on top who is the real loser? your-our Workforce Society and structure, Trouble is why even bother being the Employer paying your Guys looking after quality of goods dealing with Government Revenues all that hassle-expense when you can place an order wait 30 Days & quadruple your investment (or more), for my part I am trying to deal with Honda (made in Vietnam for Years now) & the heavy noisy Brit 'live forever' Petters.
Incidentally Honda quality is pretty good but in Europe at least they charge £120 for a simple 'Stephill' muffler that can be bought on Fleabay for £16 delivered as for AVR's Inverter boards etc you better dig your Gold Visa Card out or toss it in the trash bin.

No too sure if you Guys in US get these but they are always on UK E Bay, not rocket Science to spot them, but plenty have conned into buying them at ridiculous prices, a few folks have paid £1300 around $2,200 i think for a miss sold 2.5kw Chinese jobby worth (in reality) $200-$250, I have a guide and will try to put link on here Cheers Dave.
http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Beware-Fak...00000019231311

pnora is spot on! the reason US-UK-West's Manufacturing Mining Engineering base has collapsed-been destroyed & left vast numbers struggling to keep their Homes Kids fed & Educated, is because we buy this C**p in huge amounts, I picked up a tin of boot polish the other day in the Supermarket even that was made guess where? China.
So their Militarized Nation forces 10-12 Year old Kids to work (60-84 Hours a week is typical apparently) no workey no eaty. Look at Media Tycoon Rupert Murdoch he is a Globalist Tycoon Israeli Passport holder & worth Hundreds $Billions & today in UK at a Government Inquiry he was deemed "unfit to lead such a powerful Company" These money Men don't give a Sh about workers in any land, and these are the type of people making Millions from Imports.

Making a muffler reducer restrict or can knock much noise off without affecting starting-performance-economy at all, on the little 2.5 Kw Chinese models I use a 17mm Nyloc nut and trim off most of the nut corners, making it a 'press-punch' fit, finding very fine alloy-wire mesh rolling it tightly into a snug fitting roll and locking it within down-pipe or silencer outlet with self tappers works very well, especially if combined with narrower exit, in essence your adding another velocity reducing Baffle using cheap or scrap materials,try it it works...can be undone later (but few will when they hear the difference) Dave.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: [OT] Comments Chinese gensets - good/bad experiences?

Not political, or union, just an observation about China "stuff". I picked up a good piece of advise from one of the small import lathe forums about China equipment, and the same advise really served well for my buddy with an orchard mower.

It's a "kit", that was slammed together by jr hi kids who then lost all the instructions and covered everything with a really bad paint job.

Just take them apart, clean the casting sand out of them, fix the obvious, re tap the stripped threads, and you'll be supprised how well some of this stuff works. Is it cost effective??? In my case, I have more time than money. ;-)

Oh,,, I'd never even think about starting it first after seeing the crap inside the gearbox of his mower. But after doing the work,,, it's been in service about 5 years now doing just fine.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:26 PM
Registered-II

The Honeywell, ETQ and Generac are the exact same generator. I own the ETQ in-800i. Save your money. Read my review here:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7883
Randy AB9GO
Old 03-24-2013, 10:45 PM
Registered-III

Randy - Thanks for the real life experience. I had totally forgotten about this thread!
My Lifan 6.5 HP engine (Honda GX200 clone) is still running fairly well. I don't run it hard.
It has done generator duty, its spent some time on my rototiller, and water pump.
Overall I think I have about 75 hours on it (Its also gone through three separate hour meters) I have only had to replace the pull rope and a new gas cap.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:16 PM
Registered-III

I keep a China portable emergency gen around as a loaner if bro in law ever needs to borrow! I know it will break and I'll ask him to replace it with a NEW one and then he won't come back!

China and emergency Generator in the same sentence. OMG, Failure is expected, therefore don't gripe and cry when it happens!

Ronnie Milsap and Stevie Wonder can EASILY SEE the future outcome of such when emergency power is actually really needed.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:34 PM
Registered

to compare old japanese made stuff with these timebombs that have been coming out of china for the last 30 years is not a fair comparison,the poor QC is almost malicious,out of boredom I bought one of those little 2 stroke gensets that harbor freight sells for 89 bucks,first one had a leaking gas tank,it went right back,second one seemed okay and ran,I figured I'd make sure everything was tight on it(bolts/loose electrical connections)when I checked the carb out all four mounting bolt holes where completely stripped(quality metal huh?)the bolts just turned freely an shavings where falling pout of the holes,the only thing keeping it on must have been the rubber sealant stuff.Now just think of the the kind of folks that buy a lot of these little gems,grandma's,housewives etc,they buy this stuff and have no idea just how dangerous it can be,imo they should be about 29 bucks and thats pushing it,I'm surprised I have not heard of more catastrophes with those cheap little sets,they might not be bad if they were just put together properly,but what I've seen is just not acceptable,its dangerous to unsuspecting consumers who think their getting a deal,what their getting is bent over a barrel,I think they (china) may be trying to kill us all one by one or whole families with dangerous/poisionus products,Don't get me wrong I'm not prejudice or racist against chinese people but these products need to be inspected and monitored better before their sold to the american or any public bottom line,I don't care how cheap or how great a deal it is,thats no excuse
Old 10-24-2013, 09:43 PM
Registered

priceless humor!!! but frightening reality
Old 10-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Subscriber

its mentioned that those 2 stroke jokegens are not legal in ca.. yet they still sell them at harborpoo.. with no ca carb sticker.. politics? or do they just ignore the ca emission laws?

after fixing a bunch of these engines and generators.. even a few of the $2800 new diesel 6kw ones.. I will no longer fix them aside from carb /tune up stuff.. and inform them of there poor quality/danger .. and try to get them to take them back and buy American made products.. im just fed up with whats going on here...

im totally and utterly amazed people spend 2500 on anything that's made in china and isent a car (even then) when the horror stories are right there when u do a simple search.. no parts available.. no customer service.. I just don't get it..

I highly agree American needs to stop buying anything from overseas.. If we cant make it here than we really don't need it.. who really needs a Ferrari or Bentley? whats wrong with a Cadillac cts-v or corvette or a raptor..(luckily stihl products are made in Virginia ) I also think we should not import anything.. but im not into politics.. and I know its all about money.. and supply and demand.. im old school in that area.. I think we should go back to making 500 pound 5kw generators that run at 1800 rpm.. and trucks that have a metal bed and not fiberglass..

just an example of what foreign company's do... anyone remember Wisconsin engines? im sure u do.. how about Wisconsin robin... made in japan.. not bad.. but def not a real Wisconsin.. than went to just robin.. and now there Subaru engines.. which are Honda clones.., same quality as china engines So that's an example.. buy an American name.. stick it on so so crap...sell it at big box stores at inflated prices.. wait years till they make there buy money back.. than totally trash the name with cheaply made poor material junk and sell it at cheaper prices till people catch on and stop buying them..

I get people that think craftsman products are Still good.. which they were till kmart bought them.. now most hand tools and hand held gas tools are made in china!!!.. Good ol corporations! same thing happened to homelite.. Now owned by some company out of hong kong.... used to be a very well made chainsaw.. now there... the same as these china pos's..

I don't understand why people don't see what's going on.. or if they do and choose to give in cause its cheaper.. might be cheaper but if we keep doing it you neighbor might lose his job because his work sold out to cheap labor in china....

wouldn't you rather spend a little more for something American made and know your fellow Americans will still have a job tomorrow?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yellowlister:
Old 10-26-2013, 11:55 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowlister View Post
same thing happened to homelite
I couldn't agree with you more on Homelite. Bought a Homelite trimmer since my fathers Homelite saw had served him so well over the years. You are correct, not made as well as my fathers old saw