Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

SA-200 Restoration Project

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 2274 times

Old 03-14-2012, 01:13 PM
cwood3

Default SA-200 Restoration Project

I am "restoring" a 1967 Lincoln SA-200. When I got the machine, it ran good and was said to weld good, but I never tried the welding end of it. This machine will not go back into real working service. I am doing this because I like to bring old things back to life and it gives me a better understanding of what makes things tick. I am a mechanical engineer in the oil/gas industry and I did start out fitting/welding pipe years ago.

So let's look at this more like a car restoration project than trying to get a machine into useable condition. I have what I believe are all of the original 1967 parts. I am currently completely disassembling the entire machine....evry nut, every wire, etc......

The engine will get a complete rebuild with all the machine work one might incorporate in a race car build. I am also completely restoring the generator/welding end, replacing old wire with new wire, balancing, etc....

Now I have all these decisions to make about the little things:

Do I mount the ignition switch, choke, and start button on the radiator end like they did back then?

Ammeter vs. volt meter.....and oil psi, and water temp..? Nice to have. I want the control panel end to look like a new 1967, not one that has been modded with switches indicators, bells, whistles, etc. I will utilize the old canister oil filter and oil bath air filter....as well as a 12-volt "generator", not alternator.

So folks, egg me on. What should I make sure I do to get this one back like it just came off the line? Old photos of "stock" Lincoln SA-200's are hard to find. Everybody that actually works a SA-200 always does some modifications to make the work better and easier. That's not my point here. I am all ears, have plenty of time, and plenty of resources to devote to this. Suggestions, comments, criticisms all welcome.

Thanks,

curtis
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2012, 01:17 AM
Registered-I

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default Re: SA-200 Restoration Project

Restore it to origional status.....learn to weld and USE IT! Trailer queens are boring, if you are not going to use it......Paint it and be done with it, whats the point of restoring it to new and working condition and never using it.......sit back and look at it from my view......pretty silly isn't it.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:46 AM
cwood3

I'm thinking of how I can make a coffee table out of it.....or a bar for the man cave.......right
Old 03-15-2012, 08:38 AM
Registered-II

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

I have a book with a couple of pictures of the faceplate with all the switches as it was originally. I don't live far from you(Champions area). Maybe we could meet somewhere that has a copy machine. If you are interested.