Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

Greetings from a Kentucky collector (w/ pics)

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1994 times

Old 03-18-2012, 06:39:31 PM
Registered

Default Greetings from a Kentucky collector (w/ pics)

Over the years I have come to this site when seeking information on old or obscure items. I have been collecting "treasures" for the past 40 years (my wife calls it junk, I tell her I am an archivist saving it for future generations).

I recently relocated to Lexington, KY from Richmond, VA where I have been active with Field Day of the Past for the past 15+ years. I currently am responsible for the threshing area, I have a Frick thresher and a Turner peanut combine that I run during the show. I also bring 25 or 30 of my chain saws to exhibit as well.

I am down to 10 antique tractors (all Olivers and Cockshutts), have 5 horse drawn Studebaker vehicles and 10 cars and trucks and about 150 chain saws plus a lot of other "stuff". I have included a few pictures.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Guido Salvage For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2012, 07:04:55 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,597 Times in 912 Posts
Default Re: Greetings from a Kentucky collector (w/ pics)

Great pictures. Thanks and welcome to the stak Bill K
Old 03-18-2012, 07:53:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,994 Times in 1,286 Posts

Guido, welcome to KY. There are a few collectors in the Lexington area and the Central Ky Steam and Gas Engine Show in Paris, KY (about 15 miles from Lexington) will be the closest one to you. On the drive from Lexington to Paris you'll travel through some of the most expensive farm land in the world (some of the upper crust horse farms). Unfortunately I haven't been able to attend the Paris show for the last several years as its fallen on a weekend that I have an ongoing commitment. Its a nice show with real friendly folks.

I live about an hour and a half from Lexington and I invite you to stop by my place any time.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:30:21 PM
Registered

Default More pictures...

A few more pictures:

Cockshutt 50 with a 270 Perkins diesel:

1961 Studebaker 6E-28 truck:

Frick thresher:

Studebaker side spring wagon:

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcjudge View Post
Guido, welcome to KY. There are a few collectors in the Lexington area and the Central Ky Steam and Gas Engine Show in Paris, KY (about 15 miles from Lexington) will be the closest one to you.
I am here, but all my "stuff" is still scattered across 4 counties in Virginia. Not sure how much of it I will bring out or when. I am in a rented townhouse now, but we have a contract on a house in a golf club community here. Since they won't let me work on a car in the driveway I doubt they will let me have a tractor.

I saw that show in the directory I have and have been thinking of getting in touch with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcjudge View Post
I live about an hour and a half from Lexington and I invite you to stop by my place any time.
I have not been down your way yet, but want to get to Mammoth Cave soon, especially since White Nose Syndrome is headed that way and might limit exploration.
The Following User Says Thank You to Guido Salvage For This Post:
Old 04-13-2012, 04:38:47 PM
Registered

old diesel here (ga) your turner peanut combine caught my eye as i have one. mine is in poor condition , i was loading it on trailer(just finished using it at our plow day) with winch, just as back tires started up ramp the front axle broke out. wood borers had turned wood into mush do not what i will do with at this time
Old 04-13-2012, 07:44:17 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,526 Times in 3,163 Posts

Welcome Aboard.

Hope you're able to come up with some kind of local storage for all of that.

I think one of those "Stude-Buggies' would look pretty nice setting on the manicured golf course grass.... though they may frown on the power unit attached to it.

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

Welcome aboard to you too old diesel

Sorry to hear about your wood borer damage.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:15:27 PM
Registered

Default Greetings from a Kentucky collector (w/ pics)

I found the Turner in a shed down in Surry County, VA. I had to cut down some good size trees to get it out. I have taken it to a couple of shows away from where I normally run it but will not any more as it stresses the machine too much to haul it. I only had to grease it and replace 1 belt, but other than that it was ready to run.

I picked up this Keystone a couple of years ago and have since sold it. While it was inside it had a bit more weathering than the Turner.

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by old diesel View Post
old diesel here (ga) your turner peanut combine caught my eye as i have one. mine is in poor condition , i was loading it on trailer(just finished using it at our plow day) with winch, just as back tires started up ramp the front axle broke out. wood borers had turned wood into mush do not what i will do with at this time
You know a guy in Brooklet named Jeff Rice? If so, have him put it on a trailer and bring up to Richmond for me....

If you are interested in disposing with it I could use parts.