Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Question: cutting keyways without a mill

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 2854 times

Old 03-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Registered-II

Default Question: cutting keyways without a mill

Hi'' guys I have a question I do not have a mill are there any way to make something so I can cut keyways in a shaft like a 5/8 or 3/4 shaft, I have metal lathes. Think for your time Jerry B.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Question

Does the key way go to the end of the shaft?

If so:

Drill a hole at the end of the key way just a little deeper than the depth of the key way.

Clamp the shaft in your lathe chuck and find a way to lock rotation of the spindle. (C clamp on a jaw resting upon the ways, etc.)

Sharpen a tool bit like a parting tool but make the width what you need for the key way width.

Put the tool in your holder sideways so the cutting edge is towards the chuck and adjust the height so the center of the tool is on center of the shaft.

Now just use the carriage on the lathe to move the tool left and right as you feed the cross feed in a few thou at a time and broach the slot.

It helps if you have a stop on the carriage so you don't have to slow down as you get to the hole. A little cutting oil is good too.

I've done this to do inside keys in bores that I didn't have a broach for.

Good luck.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MadMachinist:
Old 03-21-2012, 12:01 PM
Registered-III

Get a milling attachment that fits either on top or in place of the compound. Here is one on ebay.

http://ebay.com/itm/PALMGREN-USA-MODEL-250-MILLING-ATTACHMENT-LATHE-SOUTH-BEND-LOGAN-ATLAS-/170808073948

With this attachment you mount the cutter in the chuck or collet attachment. You can cut standard keys with an end mill or woodruff keys with the correct cutter. I have seen really good results on a 9" South Bend withone of these. I think the more common ones you find are made by Palmgren. There are many manufactures of these. These are used with the lantern style tool post to mount to the compound.

Here is a guy who modifyed his X Y tabe for his drill press.

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/...ing+attachment

Richard W.
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard W.:
Old 03-21-2012, 07:22 PM
Registered-II

The old way. Cape chisels and files.

Mike
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tencubed:
Old 03-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,633 Times in 646 Posts

I don't have any broaches so I cut all of my internal keyways just like is described in post #2. I would think it would work on keyways on shafts as well. The actual shaving goes very fast. Once you have a tool ground to the right shape, you can cut a 1/4 x 1/8 slot in only a few minutes.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:58 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,372 Times in 2,666 Posts

Those suggestions all work for making a long keyway.

If you need a woodruff key (the 1/2 moon shaped ones) then you just about need a mill or a milling attachment for the lathe.

On softer material like brass or aluminum you might get by with a good drill press and one of those little cross-slide tables.

Even easier would be to ask around and find a friend or a small machine shop in your area with a mill and give them a few bucks to do it for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer:
Old 03-21-2012, 09:11 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Question: cutting keyways without a mill

How long are your keyways and how long are the shafts that they will be cut?
Old 03-21-2012, 10:15 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,584 Times in 490 Posts

Before I had a mill I made an attachment for my lathe. A heavy piece of angle iron in place of the compound, squared up to the face of the chuck. Place a 3/8" end mill in the chuck, using the cross feed mill a slot across the angle iron. Put a countersink cutter in the chuck and make the slot a "V". Drill and tap holes above and below the V, drill flat stock to match the holes, these will be the hold down plates to hold the shaft in the V. Clamp the shaft in the V slot, use the proper end mill to cut your key way, it will center automatically.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to J.B. Castagnos:
Old 03-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTO-Sawyer View Post

If you need a woodruff key (the 1/2 moon shaped ones) then you just about need a mill or a milling attachment for the lathe.
Exactly right. Also with the milling attachment you make square or hex parts. You are only limited by your imagination what you can do.

Richard W.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Registered-III

Mount a block on your cross slide that gegisters on one of the slots. A lip machined on the bottom would be the way to do it. The block must be several inches taller than the centerline of the spindle and should be several inches long and thick. Place a long 1/8" milling bit in a collet in the spindle and mill a slot accross the face of the block using the cross slide feed. Next install a 45 degree chamfering catter and make several passes deep enough to be able to lay the shaft into the cut so it registers in the opening. You mat need to redo the 1/8" depth a couple of times and make sure some of the 1/8" slot remains when the 45s are done, about 1/8" deep would be good. Clamp the shaft into the newly cut register that will have the key way cut into and then insert the milling bit to match the keyway needed and cut the keyway to the depth needed. Whats cool, if done right you can take it off and reinstall it and it will always be lined up with the spindle. It also can be used to drill perfectly centered holes in round stock too with a drill chuck or collet/drill in the spindle.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Registered-I

Hacksaw, hammer, cape chisels and a file, thats the way we were taught in the Army!