Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Huber 5HP Boiler completed by Swanz Boiler Design and Manufacturing Company

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1942 times

Old 03-31-2012, 02:24 PM
Registered-I

Default Huber 5HP Boiler completed by Swanz Boiler Design and Manufacturing Company

Swanz Boiler Design and Manufacturing Company has completed and delivered my Huber 5HP boiler. Lawrence Swanz and crew did a wonderful job. I would encourage anyone who is considering having a boiler built to contact Swanz Boiler Design and Manufacturing Company located at 15388 296th Avenue, Zimmerman, Minnesota, 55389, phone 763-389-0239, cell 612-209-6464, email advancerumbly@msn.com. They exceeded by expectations.

The boiler will be on display at the Heritage Park of North Iowa Steam School May 19-20th, 2012 in Forest City, Iowa. I will not be at Steam School this year because my stepdaughter is getting married that weekend (unsuccdessful at getting the date moved). I am confident Lawrence would be happy to show it to anyone interested in my absence. Heritage Park web site is www.heritageparkofnorthiowa.com. There may still be opening to attend the best Steam School around.

See some pictures below. For a more pictures and details about this boiler go to my web site by clicking here.

You can contact me through my web site via the "Contact Me" menu item.

Wyndham Sellers
Attached Thumbnails
P3290030.jpg   P3290028.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2012, 02:41 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Huber 5HP Boiler completed by Swanz Boiler Design and Manufacturing Company

I was hoping to see the lil Huber running some time-- that was the first time I saw it at Forest City, when you first brought it home.
Now-- MAYBE I'll get my Frick running.
The Following User Says Thank You to Farquhar:
Old 03-31-2012, 03:28 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,956 Times in 601 Posts
Default Re: Huber 5HP Boiler completed by Swanz Boiler Design and Manufacturing Company

Wyndham,

Thanks for the kind words.

David,

Working on the Frick, getting ever closer!

Lawrence

P.S.
Here are some additional shots of the Huber boiler.
Attached Thumbnails
011.jpg   013.jpg   014.jpg   019.jpg  
Old 03-31-2012, 03:34 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,308 Times in 1,981 Posts

Wow, that looks NICE!!!! I know a 12 horse that could benefit from one of those.....

Is it a trade secret how you made a fake lap seam, or can you share without having to kill us?

Nice looking work, Lawrence!

Mike M
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike McKnight:
Old 03-31-2012, 04:32 PM
Registered-III

Naw Mike, it ain't no trade secret. I first have the plate bumped in a press break to match the curvature of the pressure vessel. Then I set it up in the mill and machine one side down towards a knife edge. After which I have it welded to the vessel. Then the real fun begins...grinding! I had quite a pile of grinding dust beneath the boiler by the time I was done. Felt like my arms were extension to the grinder! After which I pop the threaded studs onto the plate and screwed on the "frivets".

Lawrence
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GaarScott:
Old 03-31-2012, 05:01 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,645 Times in 652 Posts

Is that the way the original lab seam was rolled? When they were rolled like that, it leaves a shelf on the inside to collect mud. You know some know-it-all will tell you that you didn't roll the lap the right way and the boiler life will be reduced!! They won't even give you a chance to explain how it is fake.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:58 PM
Registered-III

Jim,

Yes, I had to look more than once...would hate to have had the lap lapped the wrong way...the owner surely would have razzed me about that.

Lawrence
Old 03-31-2012, 09:18 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaarScott View Post
Wyndham,

Thanks for the kind words.

David,

Working on the Frick, getting ever closer!

Lawrence

P.S.
Here are some additional shots of the Huber boiler.
Lawrence, I knew you were working all out on it-- just a lil ribbing-- I am looking forward to coming up in 10 a cple wks to work on it some myself.
And I hope we get to see Wyndam's projct up close then too. The Huber boiler sure is nice-- I meant to say that in my other post-- but "oldtimers" took over.
The Following User Says Thank You to Farquhar:
Old 04-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,280 Times in 72 Posts

I must say another top notch job Lawrence. I especially like the way you constructed the hubulator. Looks like the real thing. The hubulator together with the eye candy (lap seams and fivets) really sets it off.

One more to go and then on to the 36 Rumely project, right?

Again, Great Work!

Jerred
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jerred Ruble: