Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Tractor Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Tractor Talk Vintage farm tractors and mounted implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Tractor Talk

John Deere Van Brunt grain drill

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 5313 times

Old 04-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Registered

Default John Deere Van Brunt grain drill

Hey yall I bought this grain drill for planting a dove and duck field and Im trying to figure out what model it is so I can get the manual and also the seed rates. Im pretty sure its an FB, but not sure which one.

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

here is a few more pics

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: John Deere Van Brunt grain drill

It is a FB but I can not remember the differences between a FB2 and a FBA. They both use the same parts book and 98% of the parts are the same between them.
Thanks
Ken
Old 04-04-2012, 11:06 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 2,392 Times in 1,229 Posts

We have the newer version FB-B here. There should be a lever on the lower front that shifts the feed left or right to control the seed rate, make sure this feed shaft is not siezed up from rust or you can break the drive gears, it should rotate freely. Most times the rate chart is attached to the underside of the lid. What do you plan to plant and the rate, I will check the chart on mine. F.J.W.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Registered

The lever is on the back, not the front. Its 13 down, and I plan on planting milo for dove. Seed chart is gone on it, along with just about every thing else that was written on it. Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:28 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 2,392 Times in 1,229 Posts

Ok heres what I found out, its a bit long winded but bear with me. First the manual wasn't too much help,yes I still have it. Milo has several different names, Grain sorghum,Kaifir Corn, and I think Sudan Grass is a close relative.Same relative seed size. There wasn't a seed chart in the book so I went out to the shed and looked at the chart on the lid. The book refers to plant Kaifir corn in wider rows by closing off some feeds to end up with 28 in rows and set to about 8-10 lbs/ A. # 4 setting gives 3 lbs/a, #8 gives 8 lbs/a ,# 12 gives12 lbs/a, this is in 28in rows!!! This was for before modern weed killers so they had to cultivate the rows. These days drilling in the 7 in rows will work, assuming yours is a 7 in space drill. The chart does show sudan grass rates for 7 in drill as follows,lever notch #4 gives 16 lbs/a #8 gives 26 lbs/a. As you see thats too heavy of a rate. Might be able to get it low enough if the rate lever is mostly closed all the way. Also the feed gate doors on each row need to be in the upper most position far small seed. These doors are on the the bottom of each feed and close against the feed rotor. Also there should be a covering chain attached to each row unit to aid in covering the seed, these are a short piece of chain with some 4in rings attached that drag on the ground. As with any planter you can check the rate by jacking up the drive wheel,measure the circumference of the wheel, make a mark on the wheel so you can count the turns, place a sheet under the unit to catch the grain and weigh it, then you can figure it out in fractions of a acre. I hope this helps out, I know it's a bit much but thats pretty much what the instructions show. Happy hunting F.J.W. PS Might be easiest to just cover sone of the feeds to end up with the 28 in rows so as to not over plant.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Registered

Thank you for all the help