Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Narrow Gauge railroad in upstate New York

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 2806 times

Old 04-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Registered

Default Narrow Gauge railroad in upstate New York

Hi Everyone,

I just joined this group and thought I would ask if there is interest in this group in steam tourist train deals. We own an 18 mile railroad bed and want to lay some track to start a tourist railroad. We are looking for people who would want to get started on our unique project. We have a nice 4 mile 1.39% grade that sure would be a hoot to pull with a nice steam locomotive.

Check out our website for details on the narrow gauge plan.
www.ucsvroute.com

We hope to hear from some of the members here to guide us in our plans going forward. If you have ever thought you might like to build a railroad, this may be your chance.

Thanks for your interest,

Ben Gottfried
The UC&SV Route
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ucsv route For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Narrow Gauge railroad in upstate New York

what guage are you planning to use?
Old 04-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Registered

The train we have is a two foot gauge so, I guess we'll go with that. From what I understand there is quite a bit of two foot rolling stock out there, including steam engines, mining and mill cars and passenger cars.

We were pleased to find the gravity fill pipe for a 12,000 gallon water tank that stood at East Winfield. We think it can be re-used so that seemed like a cool thing.

Here is a newspaper story about our project:

http://www.herkimertelegram.com/news...railroad?img=1

Ben
Old 04-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,519 Times in 982 Posts

I am in a club that has a steam locomotive and we need a place in Florida to operate it in a few years when it is completed. One City offered their 9 mile right-of-way if we wanted to put track down. The quotes I received were $1 million a mile...............I just thought that I would share that cost with you if you were not doing the work yourself or were thinking of grants.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,255 Times in 486 Posts

You should also post your intent here:

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=1
Old 04-05-2012, 06:31 PM
Registered

Thanks for the RYPN tip, I have that on my to do list. Track is indeed a variable which, obviously, depends mostly on the cost of the rail. Used rail is around in varying weights and condition. Narrow gauge uses light rail which saves considerably since you pay by the ton but, it's not that common. Since steel is a commodity the investment in the rail actually appreciates in value so what ever you spend is really an investment.

Track materials would probably run $50 to $100k per mile.

Ben
Old 04-05-2012, 06:52 PM
Registered-II

Cost of materials for new ROW is about $100/foot. 2' gauge would a little less since you can get 2 ties per standard tie. Light weight (40-70#) rail is getting hard to find, especially switches. The high price of scrap iron has taken its toll.

Good luck.

Max at a RR Museum
Old 04-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,519 Times in 982 Posts

I want to clarify my $1 million/mile number. That number is for a professional rail installation company to install new rail in this area of the country to the requirements that are unique to this region of the US. I was provided that number from a local railroad contractor so that we would not have to take the volunteers off of working on the engine to work on a track project. I'm sure you can do better on your price, and I hope I didn't scare you, I just thought that I would share the information that was researched for our region.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:17 AM
Registered-III

Are you ready for, and conversant in Federal Railway Administration (FRA) rules & regs? With a 2 foot or greater gauge and crossing public roadways or waterways you will fall under their jurisdiction for at least the steam engine if not your track structures as well.......PD
Old 04-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,748 Times in 599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Deets View Post
Are you ready for, and conversant in Federal Railway Administration (FRA) rules & regs?
And, they will be very interested in the boiler of any steam locomotive that you might want to operate.

The same goes for a diesel, though there are less hoops to jump through.

As some have suggested, a lot of homework before you start can save a lot of heartburn down the road.

David
Old 04-08-2012, 11:48 PM
Registered

Yes indeed some valid points on FRA and crossing public highways. The highways we cross are a combination of Town and County roads so we'll see what goes on with that. We have spent quite a bit of time working on the project and anticipate some bumps along the way. Right now though we are looking to see what kind of interest is out there in the community in the way of people wanting to get involved in the project.

We think it's an exciting proposal.

Ben
Old 04-11-2012, 12:12 AM
Subscriber

Hi Ben;
You may have already heard about these guys, but check out www.wwfry.org. They have gone this route, and have been very successful. If you get on the forum and check out the build threads, you will see that they build their own rolling stock and are also building a steam locomotive, to go along with the ones they have operating. From what I've learned from a member up there, crossing the road is one of the things that puts you under FRA juristiction. Used rail comes in so many cross sections and random lengths, that by the time you're done trying to match it all up, you're better off finding a rail contractor that can sell you standard lengths of common rail profiles. The folks up in Maine are getting it done, and the results are awesome. It will be great to have something like this closer to home, but it's a long, steep climb to get there. Hang tough, it can be done! - Jim Mackessy
Old 04-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Registered-III

We run close to 2ft, Metric you know. At this time I can not remember if the rail is 32# or 40#, I think 40. We have two steam locos. We had some work on the boiler done on the main engine. We have a major incline on the back side of the track and the little engine that could does, but it works it when you have two cars full of people.
The Following User Says Thank You to Terry Welch For This Post:
Old 04-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Registered

Hi Jim,

I see the WWF is a busy group. They are also a non-profit which, we are not, I believe is a better way these days with "grant" money being in such short supply. They use 60lb rail which is pretty heavy for narrow gauge.

As far as the steep climb goes we'll have to see who we can shake out of the woodwork who wants to get involved. As you say, it would be nice to have something closer to home and it's our belief that there are a sufficient number of enthusiasts around here that we can work with.

Our open house is on May 12 so we'll have a better feel for what's out there after that.

Ben