Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Ottawa Drag Saw 4 HP

this thread has 28 replies and has been viewed 4310 times

Old 05-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Registered-II

Default Ottawa Drag Saw 4 HP

Hey guys, look what I picked up today. I got it from a guy that inherented from another guy that had restored it for looks only and had it in his personal muesum. Nether one of them ever had it running. Well i'm fixing to change that. I got some questons on the mixer. I took it off the engine. I think that the needle valves are missing. Do ya'll have any pics of your mixer so I know what is missing off of mine? The only thing that is missing that I can see is the parts on the mixer, fuel line, and fuel tank. The Wico mag I took off and is in the garage. Thanks guys

The Following User Says Thank You to fwdstuck:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,124 Times in 443 Posts
Default Re: Ottawa Drag Saw 4 HP

i think i have a mixer.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Registered-II

I just seen Helen and George's pics of the mixers on there website. And they had two needle valves on each side? But mine got a rod in place of the left needle valve The right one is obviously missing and that were the fuel line hooks into.

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

Did some of these come with only one needle valve?
Old 05-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,459 Times in 573 Posts

i believe there should be two needles one runs the bowl for starting and the other is for the fuel tank..thats how all of mine are.....

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

ill try and get some pics tomorrow if no one else post them first.....
Old 05-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Registered-II

That's what I thought. If you look at my pics there is a rod in place of starting needle valve. Wonder why is that?

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

I think I figured it out. I think someone quit using the starting tank in past, so they took out the starting needle valve and shoved in the rod to block it from the mixer. And then just use the main needle valve for gas all the time. I was able to get the rod out with a hammer and a pin to get it loose and then pull it out with some pliers. The fuel tank valve had a lock screw, but the starting valve didn't. So was it held in place like that rod? hitandmiss.com calls for two different sizes, 1/4" and 5/16". Since mine were all missing, I don't know what size they were.

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

Something else I notice that is missing is the weights on the crankshaft. I was thinking maybe they didn't need them on the 4HP. Will it run without them?
Old 05-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,094 Times in 407 Posts

You should need the counter weights on the crankshaft if you want your engine to run smooth, without them it should shake around a bit more than it should, the weights also add more centrifical momentum to the engine so it can run easier and probibly better. More than likely I would guess you will need to locate a pair.

Most of those carbs had two needles to start on gas and then switch to Kero, so you only need one since they run just fine on gas and gas alone.

Good Luck with it!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Registered-II

I sent a email to hitandmiss.com earlier today to check on some needle valves and counter weights. They haven't got back with me yet. I plan on making my own fuel tank. I want to run it like it originaly did. Start it on gas, then switch to kerosene. I going to run it at local show and it will be neat to tell people that it's running on kerosene.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Registered-II

I found a guy that had the counter weights and ordered them. And I ordered the needle valves and seats from hitnmiss. I should get all this by next weekend and hopefully get it running by then too. I'm going to wait awhile before I make my gas tank. I'm going to get running on the starting tank and make my fine tuning adjustments there. I got it to hit a couple times today. But that's all i'm going to get with no needle valves.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Registered-II

How about a photo of the other side with the saw drive mechanism?
Old 05-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Registered-II

I got it pushed under the shed, cause there is nothing else I can to do to it until I get my parts for it. And I got the saw blade off of it so it would take less room. I never did take a pic the of the other side when I had it in front of the house when I took those above pics. I'll take a pic of the other side once I get those carb parts and get it back out to work on it.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Registered-II

It's going to be a couple more weeks before I get the needle valves from hitnmiss. They make the parts as you order them. I forgot about that.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Registered-II

Well guys I finally got my needle valves and seats in the mail monday. Got them installed on tuesday and got it running. But it was running real slow, about 360 RPM. I know it needs to be 550 RPM. It had a lot resistance in the flywheel. And I found out that the main bearings were to tight and then I loosened them. Then I gained about another 140 RPMs. I'm up to about 500 now. Everything is adjusted were it needs to be by the manual. But still doesn't have the power I need to cut wood. Were else do I need to check? Thanks
Old 06-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Subscriber

Just an observation but 360 rpm's is not real slow. Good luck with it.Be careful cranking it they have a lot of compression."Ottawa Keeper" told me he used to throw his backwards to start.Also the rod bearing may be too tight.What do you use to ckeck rpm's?Good luck.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:13 PM
Registered-II

Well it would bog the engine down and kill it when i throw it in a piece of wood at 360 rpm. Back kicking it is how I start it too. That how I start all my engines. I count the rpms by the bar that goes around that make the saw blade cut. One rpm of it is equal to 4 rpms of the engine. They are easy to count with a stopwatch. I still think it needs more lube and adjustments in places.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:28 PM
Registered-II

I still don't have enough power. One thing I forgot to mention, of the 3 rings on the piston, the center ring is missing. But it feels like its got great compression. Do you think with that center ring missing would cause loss of power?
Old 06-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Registered-II

I decided to pull the piston back out and have another look. I had it out when I first bought it and was cleaning the valves up. It has the 3 rings but has another place for a 4th one. The first ring was stuck. The ring has these notches to locate the rings in the right place. But the 3 place were the ring is missing doesn't have a notch. Did it come from the factory this way?

Here is a pic of the piston

Old 06-18-2012, 07:58 PM
Registered-II

I cleaned out the stuck ring and put the piston back in. Now i'm running back slower. What the hell am I doing?
Old 06-18-2012, 08:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,450 Posts

Haven't ever messed with a Ottwa before,but are you getting alot of blowby past the rings? And when you took the rod off you did mark and count how many spacers where on each side of the rod and it is NOT too tight? Or put on different?, the hole in the side of the piston has to be up by the way for the pin to get oiled,like I said never messed with a ottwa,so I dont know about the rings ......... On the blade we messed with cross cut saws as a kid the teeth have to be sharp and there has to be a set in the teeth to but I cannot remember exactly how Dad did that he had a gauge to set them,one other thing we did as a kid, notice how rusty that saw is, when you get things straightened out with the engine take some vaseoline or wd-40 and squirt on it while cuttting,and oil it good after it is shined up makes a BIG difference on cross cut saws.....
Old 06-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Registered-II

It didn't have any spacers on the rod bearing and it's not too tight. It has just a little blowby. On the saw part, I haven't got that far yet. I can kill the engine by putting my foot on the flywheel.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:04 PM
Subscriber

Have you varified the timing? If your spark is retarded you usually get less power but will still have rpm's.