Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Steam at 50th annual show - Prairie Village (Madison, South Dakota)

this thread has 40 replies and has been viewed 5741 times

Old 05-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Registered-I

Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts
Question Steam at 50th annual show - Prairie Village (Madison, South Dakota)

Fellow steam enthusiasts,

Prairie Village (just west of Madison, SD) is having their 50th annual Steam Threshing Jamboree this year. The exact dates are Thursday through Sunday, August 23-26, 2012. I wanted to take this opportunity to promote the show and invite ANYONE with a steam engine (which has a current SD state boiler inspection) to please consider bringing it to their show this year.

I realize this is quite a large request for most owners, so to make it a bit more appealing, I can mention that they should have plenty of wood (and water, of course), and MAYBE some coal if anyone wants to plow, though if you require coal then it would be best to shoot me a PM and I'll send the request on to their manager and see what kind of response we get. Along those lines, there are plenty of opportunities to work your engine and do a demonstration if you wish, including a sawmill, threshing, baker fan, tractor pull (if you're feeling adventurous... I've never seen a steamer do the pull there so that would be quite an event!) and ground for plowing, with a parade each day as well.

So far, here is the (unconfirmed) list of engines which will hopefully be at the show this year:

65 hp Case
60 hp Case
20 hp(?) Advance Rumely
25-85 Nichols & Shepard
1/3 scale 65 hp Case & 1/3 scale sawmill

It would be great to "flesh out" the lineup a bit more, and return Prairie Village to one of the great shows in the area for seeing steam in action! Also, can't forget about the railroad, as they are currently repairing engine # 29 and, with a bit of luck, will have her fully operational again for this year's show.

Please PM me if you are interested in bringing your engine and have any specific questions, which I can relay on to the manager of Prairie Village (who as far as I know, does not frequent Stak as of yet).

Here's a link to their website if you want further information about the show in general:

http://www.prairievillage.org/

Regards,
Brandon Salmen
The Following 3 Users Like This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Registered-III

Liked 300 Times in 129 Posts
Default Re: Steam at 50th annual show - Prairie Village (Madison, SD)

I hope things have changed since I was there 11 years ago. Brought a Gas engine display. Had to pay admission, and camping Set up my display next to the only other two engine displays. Not happy and have never been back. Sorry to rant, I hope you have a good show.

Travis
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 05-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Registered-I

Travis,

Thanks for chiming in... the show is far from perfect, but I do think things are generally improving, especially within the past few years. If you're into gas engines, there is a really neat display of 2 very large stationary engines now which wasn't there a few years ago (with a 3rd under construction I believe), and the guys who are overseeing that area, last year anyway, also had a nice collection of smaller engines set up nearby. Randy Peterson is one of those guys, and he is a member here so he might chime in at some point? His son, Alex, is getting into the hobby too and is interested in steam.

Back to your original point though, unfortunately, exhibitors do still have to pay a fee there, and I believe pay for camping (which is already sold out this year, for the electrical hookups anyway), but, I think they have a new rule which if I understand correctly, by volunteering at the show somehow you can get that night's camping for free? So that might be a way to reduce the cost of the show. There have been many prior discussions in other threads (and outside of Stak, too) regarding exhibitor/camping fees at shows, etc, so I hope we can avoid that discussion in this particular thread and keep it generally centered around steam power at PV.

Anyway - I hope you'll come back, and please bring your engines if you'd like... I know you'll have more company with them than you did 11 years ago. If you happen to make it, please stop and say hi!

Regards,
Brandon
Old 05-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Registered-I

Does anyone know the history behind some of the engines which used to be at Prairie Village, perhaps in the late 80's-early 90's, which have gone elsewhere? Any history of where they went, who currently owns them, if they are still in the region, etc, would be great.

In particular I remember a Russell engine... the bright colors and canopy with frilly dilly really stood out to me as a young kid! Seems like it was a larger model, but, when I was that young, they were ALL larger models! I believe there was also an Avery there at one point, possibly? I'm sure there are many others I don't know about. At one time, Prairie Village had the largest display of steam equipment in SD. (I believe that honor goes to Andover now, which I certainly need to get to before long!)

I'd love to have a discussion here about some of the engines which were at Prairie Village in past years, and any which might still be in the area.

Thanks!
Brandon
Old 05-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Registered-III

Liked 1,781 Times in 308 Posts

Brandon,

I attended the show in 1992 and had a great time. So much so, that in 1993 I returned to the show with a 20-35 Allis Chalmers tractor that I had picked up in Wisconsin for my dad. That was a long drive from Florida, Wisconsin, South Dakota and back to Florida by my self. I remember that I was charged to exhibit the tractor in 1993 but that is a practice that a lot of shows are doing now (I know NTA & Trumbull County do).

At that time, and I hope still, there were several large gas prairie tractors. Most of which were owned by the Ayres family. Everyone was very friendly and I was able to ride on the large Twin City tractor and the large Reeves tractor in the parade.

Even though the prairie tractors were more numerous, there were a few steam traction engines as well. During the parade the engineer of the Advance Rumely Universal invited me aboard to steer. This was one of the first times I was on a traction engine under steam. I have pictures of a large Russell traction engine that had been recently painted and had the fringed canopy you refer to. It appeared to me that this engine was brought to the show by a couple in there late 40’s or early 50’s. I believe a great number of the large tractors and traction engines are stored at the show grounds year round.

The show has a lot to offer and if the opportunity arises, I would like to attend again.

Dan
Old 05-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Subscriber

Liked 2,847 Times in 1,284 Posts

Once you LOSE ANY kind of exhibit, it's VERY hard or impossible to get it back. Why did they leave? Something may need fixing.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:45 PM
Registered-I

Dan, thanks for the great comments... unfortunately some of that ties into what HBurk mentions, which is, that show has lost a few of those exhibits (large prairie tractors, in particular) and I don't know if they'll ever get them back. There are a few large prairie tractors there, mostly Rumelys, but probably not even half of what there used to be 20 years ago. And last year, only 2 steam traction engines were there, one of which was static display only. They've been hit hard by politics over the years, which upset a few of the larger exhibitors and has greatly degraded the number of unique machinery which is displayed there.

I do believe they are on the upswing, though, and have good leadership in place and some new volunteers providing great assistance. For instance, this year they received a donation to pay for most, if not all of the necessary repairs to engine #29, an 0-6-0 switcher which is the crown jewel of their railroad operation, but hasn't run for about 12 years now so we're very excited about the possibility of having her back in action for the 50th show.

In addition to a larger selection of traction engines this year, and growth in other areas such as the gas engine area (which has 2 large stationary engines operational now), plus a couple of other restoration projects there, I think there's plenty of reason for optimism about that show. Bottom line, Prairie Village went through a rough patch, but is still a great show with lots of promising years ahead of it. I hope everyone within reasonable distance will consider attending the show this year to see first-hand what I'm talking about.

Regards,
Brandon
The Following 4 Users Like This Post:
Old 05-21-2012, 01:44 PM
Registered-III

Liked 300 Times in 129 Posts

Thanks Brandon, Sorry to turn your thread to a different direction. I have a strong opinion that getting charged to display is not right. First I spend money purchasing a engine, then restoring, then fuel getting it there, and then charged to display it!! There are lots of shows that don't charge. You do have a very nice showgrounds and from what I remember an awsome tractor pull. Hope your club can change the exhibit charging rule so I will want to attend again.

Thanks
Travis Miranowski
Old 05-21-2012, 02:05 PM
Registered-III

Liked 657 Times in 160 Posts

I understand the having to pay to play deal. BUT its only 5 bucks for the whole show.. I used to race Dirt Track and after spending a ton of money it was 15 bucks a night to get in.. For me its pretty darn cheap entertainment. Now that I am a volunteer at the Village and see what all goes on it takes a ton of cash to keep a place like this maintained and operating year after year. And a healty crew of people who love the hobby and take the time to take care of pretty much everything on the show grounds. Everyone has their THING stationary is mine.. SO any of you Stationary engine guys. Come on down.. Yer more then Welcome to set up by the Big Stationary engines.. We will have a few other engines set up and running also.. Me and David Appel have about 200 Hours in the 50hp Fairbanks Morse Diesel and still have many hours to go.. Dont know if that one will be running by show time or not. But the other 50 Fairbanks and 100 HP Chicago Pneumatic will be.. Any body has any questions about bringing stationary Gas engine please PM me and I will try to answer them to my ability or get you my phone number and we can chat..
Hope to see ya all out there..
Randy L Peterson
The Following 4 Users Like This Post:
Old 05-21-2012, 08:23 PM
Registered-III

Oh did I mention I like Steam AND I have NEVER gotten to ride on a Steam Traction engine. SO if anybodys gonna have one at Prairie Village this year I'd like a ride and a few lessons..
Randy L Peterson
Havin a Blast Preservin the Past
No hope for Rustitis
Old 05-22-2012, 10:02 AM
Registered-III

Liked 1,956 Times in 601 Posts

Not to derail this thread too far with "paying to play", but most of your larger shows are charging all patrons of the shows. As Randy indicated, it takes a lot of cash to keep these grounds fit for a show besides a ton of volunteer hours. Anyway, if it works out for me, I'll be making the trip out and bringing at least two scale models. One of which used to show there year after year...Gramps' would have wanted me to bring it...especially for the 50th!!!! Hope my work schedule works out that I can sneak off for yet another weekend of steam!

Lawrence
The Following 3 Users Like This Post:
Old 05-22-2012, 10:18 AM
Subscriber

Liked 370 Times in 145 Posts

Brandon lets get the Andersons and their Case Parade down here I'm sure Kory will do it beside that I think Dave is gonna try to bring his Nichols and yes his Stationary will be runnin but we dont have boiler hooked up but yes his little one will be running off the compresser off the FBM like last year.

If only I had a Steamer :P lol.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:23 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
I hope things have changed since I was there 11 years ago. Brought a Gas engine display. Had to pay admission, and camping Set up my display next to the only other two engine displays. Not happy and have never been back. Sorry to rant, I hope you have a good show.

Travis
Travis, a long time ago there used to be a bunch of Gas Engines there but now no one brings any................................ But, if you try to I'm sure there will be 5 displays now Me, and Dad and the 50hp FBM guy and a guy across the map and a guy form Rapid City, SD now I guess.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:34 AM
Registered-II

Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts

Brandon,
TO answer your question on where all the traction engines went. The Russell was sold and went out west somewhere. The 75 Case was sold and is now at the white pine show. The 16-60 Nichols was sold to someone I heard in MN. Jim Lacey had it for a while and I almost bought it, but work threw me a curve ball that I wasn't expecting so I had to pass on it. My 50 case is in my shed here in MN and goes to the Little Log House show in Hastings, MN and Almelund Threshing show in MN then back home. I removed mine from PV for various reasons, main one was time. There was a Aultman Taylor Steam engine that showed up in the mid 90's but have never seen it again and not sure where it was from.

Shon Jacobsen
Old 05-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Registered-I

Lawrence,

As you know, I would be absolutely thrilled if you could make it, and doubly so if you could bring a couple of your scale models! Assuming they have engine 29 running, they could sure use your help down there, too, and I'd be glad to watch your scale stuff while you do a shift on 29, if you feel so inclined. If there's anything else I can do to help you out and make it a more feasible trip, please let me know.

Shon - thanks for the update on where the steamers went over time. I guess it's just one of those facts of life, things and people tend to move around from show to show over time. I certainly understand having limited time to go to different shows and haul your engine around... seems like you have your hands full with some of the gas stuff already anyway.

Take care,
Brandon

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy L Peterson View Post
Oh did I mention I like Steam AND I have NEVER gotten to ride on a Steam Traction engine. SO if anybodys gonna have one at Prairie Village this year I'd like a ride and a few lessons..
Randy L Peterson
Havin a Blast Preservin the Past
No hope for Rustitis
Randy - you and Alex are more than welcome to check out our family's engines which should both be at the show, and we'd be happy to show you a few things about how they run, etc, and let you ride/drive as well. Just a fair warning though, once you get on, you won't want to get off!

Take care,
Brandon
Old 05-22-2012, 01:16 PM
Registered-III

Over Time when David Appel gets a Shed for the Big engines Plans are to have a spot for his 16-50 Nichols & Shepard. AND a 40 hp Superior and a 20 HP Fairbanks Z.. He seems to have a problem with Really Large 1 cylinder engines then his Steam Traction Engine is a 2 cylinder Its all fun.. Hope to be getting a few weekends up at the Village this summer.. Have a few projects of my own to get finished up so wont be as many as I would like..
RLP
Old 05-22-2012, 01:58 PM
Registered-II

Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts

Brandon,
That is the main reason the steam engine went home. Working on the 20-40 Case of Prairie Village for the 50th Show. It is amazing it even ran after digging in to it. But I will save that for another thread. Have it and my Minneapolis at home, so it has been a busy winter and will be a busy summer getting them both done in time for the show.

Shon
Old 05-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Subscriber

Liked 112 Times in 46 Posts

Since I was a little kid I have loved the book "Days of Steam and Glory" by Dana Close Jennings featuring the Prairie Village Show from the late 60's.

On the back cover is a grainy photo with several model engines and one of special interest to me, is what looks like a half scale Gaar Scott. Another interesting engine, is what appears to be a very small return flue with a canopy and front mounted water tank.

Any one out there know the whereabouts of these engines, or have more photos or links to them?? (Lawrence thanks for confirming the N-S model details) I'd be very grateful for any leads!! -Steve
Old 06-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Subscriber

Exclamation Come to Prarie Village's 50th annual Steam Thresing Jamboree

Hello all! We are looking forward to our 50th annual Jamboree this August. Brandon(steampilot) is wanting some Steam Engines there for the 50th and its a 4 day show this year! Plus the feature is John Deere(no steam tractors ) So if we bring some Case,Ports,Kittens any others like Minneapolis i'm sure we will fit the need for steam as right now there are only maybe 3 Steam Engines there.....1 stationary and a 60 Case and I can't remeber the other....Plus a Model steamer(mine that we built for this and it's A "JD Steamer "). So, please come and enjoy this big year for our show.

ALEX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Come to Prarie Village's 50th annual Steam Thresing Jamboree

Alex,

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but in the interest of keeping things somewhat organized, maybe it would be better to keep the existing thread on this topic going, instead of starting a new one?

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104853

Brandon