Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Shows and Swap Meets > Portland Indiana
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Portland Indiana Shows Swaps Announcements Discussions for the World's largest gas engine and tractor show.

Portland Indiana

New Rules for 2013 Portland Indiana show?

Just returned from the swap meet. Has anyone read the rules or heard about the 2013 August show...

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 11619 times

Old 05-19-2012, 08:05 AM
Subscriber

Default New Rules for 2013 Portland Indiana show?

Just returned from the swap meet. Has anyone read the rules or heard about the 2013 August show rules? NO 4-wheelers or ATVs on the show grounds, period.

How does everyone feel about this? If you're handicapped and on a fixed income, like several of my friends are, they're forced into renting a golf cart at $55-60 per DAY, or not being able to go through the grounds.
My opinion only, but if there is a problem with someone on a 4-wheeler or ATV, DEAL WITH THAT PERSON--DO NOT punish everyone for someone's problem. The club can't even get the drivers of the golf carts to follow the directional arrows in the parts area (not the club's fault, but you have to wonder).

These are just my thoughts, and maybe the club was forced into this by the insurance carrier, but don't all drivers have to produce proof of insurance to the "greeter" at the gate when they enter?

I think that this will do nothing but prevent those who can't afford a golf cart rental to stay away. My experience there over many years has been that any close call with a wheeled vehicle was the result of a distracted driver on a lawn mower or golf cart.

If someone has more information and can shed any light on this, please chime in!

Tom

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104989

Last edited by Tom Schaech; 05-19-2012 at 08:05 AM. Reason: spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Schaech:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2012, 08:40 AM
Registered

Default Re: New Rules for 2013 Portland Indiana show?

I have been going to both shows for many years. The problem I see, wether it be 4 wheelers, ATV's or lt/gt with butt buggies and golf karts, is around the main food area. They seem to park side by side and have a all day meeting, blocking the traffic flow and also making it harder for Handicaped and Disabled people and those who are not, to move around safely. They need to come up with some rules for that area. Not out in the show area. But again it is their show and they can come up with, what ever rules they deem. Just my 2 cents. Don B.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Registered-III

i read it and thought its reasonable for the size of the event. nothing over 5 feet and no atv's even under 5 feet. atv drivers are speeders and gators have to be able to haul. nothing moving more than a fast walk, i can live with this. thanks portland.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Registered-III

Most shows now have similar rules. Portland is just catching up in my opinion. I however believe that wheel chairs, electric wheel chairs, garden tractors and but buggies are ok and should be allowed (operating in first gear or lowest speed). Gators, golf carts and any type of ATV should stay home, period. Security/EMS should use golf carts or Gators as ATVs are generally more dangerous to operate in a crowd. Just for fun, take a good look at people driving banned vehicles at your local shows... Mostly healthy paying members perhaps?
Old 06-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Registered-II

I find it difficult to believe that any show or insurance carrier would, or could prevent a person with a physical disability from using an approved mobility device. As for golf-carts, 'Gators, etc.. really? Why were things like that allowed to begin with? No wonder my local work-wear store now carries bib overalls in 4X!
The Following User Says Thank You to tirediron:
Old 08-20-2012, 09:04 PM
Registered

You forgot about the healthy skinny guy told by his lawyer not to be seen out in a crowd lugging a 150 pound engine through crowds of people, until AFTER his injury case is settled.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Registered-II

I attended again this year, we had my old Allis B1 garden tractor and my friends sulkey. He has bad knees, not enough for a handicap sign though. He rides on the sulkey as he wouldnt be able to do 2 rows of the swap meet, let alone walk in from the parking lot. We run slow, usualy 2nd gear with the engine idle. And even at that speed I was being tailgated by golf carts, and gators. Didnt see near the ATV's as previous years, but loads of golf carts. I found many of the golf cart operators to be rude and pushy when driving. A agree on the parking issue, there needs to be designated parking in the food area for the carts and lawn tractors with buggies. Seems folks did follow the arrows fairly well this year, atleast on Friday when we were there. I find the small garden tractor like my Allis B1 or the Wheel Horses, even with a sulkey or a small cart to haul, took up less space and behaved better than the golf carts. Just my 2 cents for what its worth. Mike
Old 09-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Registered

Smile Re: New Rules for 2013 Portland Indiana show?

I attended both shows. I was glad to see in the food court area, during the steam show there was a lot less traffic/parking, golf carts and etc. Did anyone hear the announcement that some idiot drove a golf cart thru the antique show building ? The announcement was made early sat. evening as we were leaving. Some kind of enforcement is needed to try an control the idiots that think they are at the Indy 500 on those 4 wheelers and atv's and even some moded golf carts. Don B.
The Following User Says Thank You to DBuck:
Old 09-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Engine Buyer

Thanked 2,671 Times in 408 Posts

Here are a couple thoughts. I have heard that another club somewhere has a golf cart only rule because they shut off as soon as the foot is off the go pedal. There is less liability in that I guess. I think they also might cause less damage than a gator or similar vehicle.

On another note the directional isle's are are probably a good idea. With that said one morning at the crack of dawn I was driving slowly the wrong way down a very wide isle. There were two other carts going the right way down the same isle and that was about all the vehicles the eye could see at that time of day (not much seems to happen there until about 7:30 or 8:00 am). The people in the first cart told me I was going the wrong way and I smiled and thanked them. Then the a woman in the next cart told me I was going to wrong way in a very concerned manner to say the least. I smiled and thanked here. Then after they we were about 50 feet apart the man on the cart yelled out F***ING IDIOT... These were not people I knew and it wasn't a joke. I did get a good laugh out of it though.

Check out my engine pictures at http://www.sideshaft.com
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Rozevink:
Old 09-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Registered-I

Tom
maybe if your poor friends sold their atvs they could afford to rent a golf cart.

i'll save my money & walk.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:00 AM
Subscriber

They could adopt the same philosophy that our highway system is , No carts within say....15 feet from the venders area or tables.We get along just fine, not driving our cars on our sidewalks. Let the carts fight them selves in the middle. My last trip to Portland, I spent more time trying to avoid getting run over while at a vendors table than I did on the roadway. I was walking along and cart drivers were swerving up to displays and those on foot had to move.

Portland and other larger shows should set up their areas to where the carts have their lanes of travel and if you want to look at something you park and walk over and look. It should be a nuisance for the cart drivers, NOT for those on foot.If they don't fix it soon they will ether be in court or folks will go somewhere else.

BTW<<Why is it that Americans feel they can ignore the rules, just because the time seems right to them? In America we drive on the right, most educated folks walk on the right, whats so hard about that?
Old 09-10-2012, 06:33 AM
Engine Buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by froelich View Post
BTW<<Why is it that Americans feel they can ignore the rules, just because the time seems right to them? In America we drive on the right, most educated folks walk on the right, whats so hard about that?
Maybe you you've never been to Portland but the isles can be very long and the directional arrows make them one way. So driving on the left or right is not relevant in this thread.

FYI: Many Americans feel that they can ignore some rules because there are no consequences. Some people may have never jay walked, made an illegal u-turn, or used opposite sex restroom (one stall locking door) at a gas station. People that have never done stuff like that deserve an award for all the time they wasted of there own and people that may have been waiting for them

Last edited by Jon Rozevink; 09-10-2012 at 07:27 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon Rozevink:
Old 09-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Subscriber

And when we get caught we get a good laugh, and look down on those that correct us. Some of you could be looked upon to set the example, not break the rules because your????????

Quote:
[I[FYI: Many Americans feel that they can ignore some rules because there are no consequences. Some people may have never jay walked, made an illegal u-turn, or used opposite sex restroom (one stall locking door) at a gas station. People that have never done stuff like that deserve an award for all the time they wasted of there own and people that may have been waiting for them [/I]
It's real good to know that some feel anyone walking through Portland is really wasting the time of the dealing elite.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,617 Times in 335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by froelich View Post
And when we get caught we get a good laugh, and look down on those that correct us. Some of you could be looked upon to set the example, not break the rules because your????????

It's real good to know that some feel anyone walking through Portland is really wasting the time of the dealing elite.
I feel that the real people wasting the time of the vendors at Portland in particular are the people driving around on golf carts. I vend there all the time and rarely see anyone get off of a golf cart to buy anything except a hamburger! I've travelled in a golf cart occassionally myself and it's really tough to see any of the small nuggets that are for sale. It is much easier to cover ground when you have a specific "lead" to investigate. All of the "dealing elite" that are in my circle of friends are quite ambitious and don't use a golf cart as a crutch for their lack of ambition. A little common sense could go a long way but that is something that can't be taught.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Dahm:
Old 09-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Engine Buyer

I think someone may be taking this a little to serious. I hope all people are able to relax and have a good time at least occasionaly. I posted the story about going down the wrong way just as a funny example of how some people are too uptight and don't know how to properly interact with other humans.

Another funny story I have at Portland is last year in the early morning a gentleman was asking about and talking to me about an engine that was already sold. I told the man that it was sold and I had to go. Well he keep telling me things about it that I already knew far better than he did and that was fine but I really did have to go. So I apologized drove off on the GOLF CART with him still talking.

Well any way with this story and this one I had some really important business to be taken care of that a monetary value could not be put on and it would not wait. So read between lines, I think sometimes its ok to bend the rules or be a little rude.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon Rozevink:
Old 09-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Registered-I

As a disabled collector, I can walk, but with great difficulty. The use of a golf cart not only allows me to enjoy the show it makes me safer on rough terrain. My use of a golf cart is not a crutch. With that being said how many people would lend a helping hand to a disabled collector. I am not trying to ruffle any feathers, but I have been disabled long enough to know that most people tend to look the other way. Without the use of a gollf cart I could walk around but I could not purchase anything because I use crutches on both arms.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:11 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 2,088 Times in 680 Posts

I borrowed a fellow collector's golf cart on Wednesday afternoon to take my dad and uncle out to pick up some treasures that were too big to carry. It was stressful to drive even with the "limited" amount of traffic at that time. I thought it sucked in the morning to dodge the golf carts and atvs while walking; but some pedestrians are totally oblivious to their surroundings! Then again, pedestrians couldn't hear my Duramax diesel powered truck with a 4" exhaust when I drove up to my exhibit spot at 8:40 AM!

I don't envy the spot the Tri-State board is in. They need a certain amount of vehicle traffic to have commerce in the swap area and they need to limit the blissfully ignorant populace walking the show. Buy a BIG Powerball ticket if you know the answer to that riddle. I can walk today; but I might need a ride in 25 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Monnier:
Old 09-10-2012, 10:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,316 Times in 474 Posts

As a mobile vertical speed bump (pedestrian) there were times I refused to yield to the carts just because there was no where to go. I have bad knees and am no marathoner by any means, but I walked it for a day and a half plus and survived. Don't think there is any reason the general populace in a show like that should have an atv, golf cart, gator or kubota. The shows should provide a decent free transit system, and in a case like portland, a delivery service to get stuff out of the swap. Those with disabilities who need assistance, should be able to use scooters or other such devices. I enjoy the shows where I am not in constant danger of being run over or having to climb over carts to see something a lot more then when I do. I enjoyed portland, I didn't enjoy the traffic. I doubt we we will be back to Half Century of Progress, in a big part because of the carts.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:21 PM
Registered

where can you rent a golf cart? from, jleabell@yahoo.com
Old 09-14-2013, 09:13 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=jkt73;812176]As a disabled collector, I can walk, but with great difficulty. The use of a golf cart not only allows me to enjoy the show it makes me safer on rough terrain. My use of a golf cart is not a crutch. With that being said how many people would lend a helping hand to a disabled collector. I am not trying to ruffle any feathers, but I have been disabled long enough to know that most people tend to look the other way. Without the use of a gollf cart I couldn't walk around and ejoy the show.