Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Robin 2 stroke in early ezgo golf cart

Hello Everyone, Anyone out there familiar with the ignition system used in the first (3 wheeler)...

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 4802 times

Old 05-19-2012, 08:25 AM
Registered-III

Default Robin 2 stroke in early ezgo golf cart

Hello Everyone,
Anyone out there familiar with the ignition system used in the first (3 wheeler) EZGO Golf Carts? It uses some kind of (igniter), a very peculiar looking ignition coil, and (although I haven't actually seen it with my own eyes) some kind of pulse generator, which evidently resides underneath the actual engine flywheel. The engine runs in either direction, operator selectable via a switch mounted on the bulkhead with all the other electrical controls. The problem I am having would seem simple enough: engine won't run; no spark (either rotation). It initially began refusing to start until the wiring to the igniter was (jiggled, moved slightly, etc.). And, after starting once, it was good for at least the remainder of the day. In as much as the engine doesn't idle --it must restart each time the cart is brought to a stop-- this could easily involve a lot of restarting. But, once it started up, it was good until the cart sat for overnight etc. This went on for probably 2 months until one day it simply refused to start. In the interim I had replaced most of the primary wiring, hoping to catch, perhaps, an internally broken wire or a bad molex. No such luck. I spoke with the only golf cart shop in town and they offered NO HELP whatsoever, other than to offer me less than a hundred dollars trade in on an all-electric cart. Sorry! And, calls to the online parts and service people haven't brought any suggestions, other than to simply begin buying replacement assemblies until I hit upon the one that is responsible for the problem. Naturally, none of these parts are returnable and they are ALL much, much higher than similar devices for automobiles. So, does anyone have any knowledge of how to test any of these guys? I haven't had any luck attempting to locate any kind of detailed schematic. Thanx in advance for ANY help. Best Regards, Jim D.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2012, 10:29 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Robin 2 stroke in early ezgo golf cart

see if there is an ignition kill switch hooked to the throttle.If there is unhook it and try it.Also check your ignition grounds.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Radtke:
Old 05-19-2012, 08:05 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,796 Times in 2,441 Posts
Exclamation Re: Robin 2 stroke in early ezgo golf cart

The fact that it was starting after jiggling the wires, means you have to check the componants the wires were attached to. If one was a switch or coil, replacement of thpse items would be the first thing, as the loose connection probably has burned away over time.
Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey:
Old 06-02-2012, 01:38 AM
Registered-III

Thanx, Ed Radtke. Good thought on the kill switch. Hadn't even thought about it b4 and, yes, it does have one. Normally, the engine starts when you step on the accelerator and quits when it is fully released. I don't know why but I somehow thought the engine kill function was simply the absence of a normal idle circuit in the carb. Someday I'll probably figure out that thinking may not be my strongest point. Anyway, defeated the switch but still no spark.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:26 AM
Registered-III

...and therein lies my dilemma, Mr Mackey. I've replaced wires, connectors, etc., and have confidence in those items. I am without a clue as far as testing the igniter (7 unmarked wires coming out of a potted component, no indication whatsoever as to their function). 4 wires coming from the coil. And, they're typically non-returnable so a bad guess can get kinda' costly. What I have learned about this strangely hard working little cart, and mostly in the days since it stopped altogether, is how much easier my life can be when I'm not pushing a dolly with a couple of hundred pounds of repair parts and tools all around on my property. So, any day now I'll probably drive the 60 miles to Las Vegas and start searching for some parts. Best regards, Jim D.