Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

lincoln SA 200 shunt fields

I just bought a lincoln SA 200 pipeliner at an auction, code #7693 and according to the serial no....

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 3177 times

Old 05-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Registered-I

Default lincoln SA 200 shunt fields

I just bought a lincoln SA 200 pipeliner at an auction, code #7693 and according to the serial no. it is a 1976 model.The auxiliary power outlet puts out 118 volts but when i try to weld i just get a little sparkle. According to what i have read, this means that the shunt coils are bad. Does any one know where i can get info on how to separate the welder generator from the engine and the best way to replace the coils. thanks in advance, Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: lincoln SA 200 shunt fields

Just Google in "Bill's Welder Repair" they are in Oklahoma City.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:18 AM
Registered

Bills Welder Supply definately the place to go for SA200 parts & info. Find the Blue & Brown 16 ga wires coming out of the gen to the rheostat. Isolate these 2 wires & there should have a resistance of 40-42 Ohms. If not you have an open winding in a shunt coil. The last set of shunt coils I replaced Cost $496.00. This is not a lite porject to undertake.The gen set must be removed from the machine & the coils are pressed out(no hammers & Punchs). These are laminated cores and reuire a proper arbor/anvil and press.This is a big project and lots of wiring to be delt with. mark mark mark. If you attack this project be sure ot support the armeture when you remove the stator assy other wise you will damage the flex joint connecting the arm to the flywheel. Good Luck Junk Iron
The Following User Says Thank You to Junk Iron:
Old 12-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,300 Times in 316 Posts

Another good place for parts is Hybriweld.com they have some reasonably priced shunt sets and I haven't heard anything bad about them. I have bought a few parts from them in the past.
While you have your barrel off getting new shunts pressed in you might want to consider "baking" it and painting the internals with Glyptal.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...Baking+Glyptal

And by all means, follow the disassembly instructions on Bill's Welder Repair's site.

PS I agree with the statement by Junk Iron, support your armature!

My website
Old 12-23-2012, 09:02 PM
Registered-I

I agree with Junk Iron !00%. I'm sure the bills welder repair site explains it well. I described the procedure in a post by Grumpybobby-lincoln sa200 wisconsin 4vf. I've replaced the shunts in one of my welders before. About 2 hours to get the generator apart. Be sure to mark the wires well with tape so you can keep from getting confused when it's time to go back. I left mine (and a 500 dollar bill) at the motor shop for a week. Then about two hours to put it back together. But it's definately not an easy task if you've never parted one before. Watch your fingers! Alot of pinch points. While you have it apart you might want to look at the bearing. If you need one your local parts store should be able to order one for you, but they'll probably try to sell you a sealed bearing. I'm not sure if it matters but the one lincoln uses is a sheilded bearing- not a sealed one.I had to order mine twice to get the right one. But O'Rileys was able to get it for me. I think about 40 bucks for the one for the sa200.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

That was suposed to be 100%. I should have paid attention in typing class.
Jeff