Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Tractor Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Tractor Talk Vintage farm tractors and mounted implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Tractor Talk

Continental N62 - Pony engine

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1640 times

Old 05-30-2012, 09:16 PM
Registered-II

Default Continental N62 - Pony engine

I am in need of a new short block for a M-H Pony I am doing a full restoration on. The current engine has been done over at least once and not very well at that. I'm afraid the valve seats have been ground so far into the block it can't be made right. Along with guides it needs to be bored and the crank has already been ground and is junk. All of that has me looking for a replacement.
Does anyone sell N62 Continental short blocks? I would buy a good clean bare block since I was going to do a rebuild anyway, or even a whole nother parts pony if the block was good. I'm open to any ideas. This one is a '49.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2012, 09:39 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Continental N62 - Pony engine

I will send you an e-mail Engine Rebuilders in Toledo has a lot of older Continental parts as they were a long time Continental dealer. The crank may be the hardest part to find.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Schwiebert:
Old 05-30-2012, 10:25 PM
Registered-II

Thanks for the information.

I have been doing some measurements and it looks like a really over sized insert might take out all the damage without breaking into the cooling passages. i will have to check that out first.
Yes, the crank will take some looking but I think I have seen someone listing them.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:31 PM
Registered-II

On mine the valve seats where pitted so I put in seat inserts to fix the problem, since most other blocks will need reboring anyway maybe guides and seats would be cheaper?. If the crank has already been been ground to the smallest size available there are places that can build them up sometimes for a good price but it depends on what you have in your area, mine was worn so bad the rod throws had to be ground 2 sizes smaller! . When I can find time there is a pile of new and used parts on the bench that i need turn back into an engine for my Pony, good luck with yours. Nathan.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nathan K.:
Old 06-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Subscriber

I'm pretty sure Steiner had cranks reground and ready to go for the N62. If you need parts, call Gerald Moons at Monte's Continental for it. I remember he had quite the stack of N62 blocks and cranks before.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Brasherman:
Old 06-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Registered-II

I will check out those sources for cranks, Thanks. This one is already .020 under on the rods and the wear grooves are at least .015 deep.

In this block the exhaust valves are ground so far in that the top of the valve is well below the top of the block, and the block has been ground away 1/8" or more around the valve for a lead in.
I wasn't sure a replacement valve seat would be big enough to take out all that grinding. The more I look at it, I think it will be doable. This picture isn't too clear but I think you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
100_2212.jpg