Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters

Home Depot Selling Used Mowers?

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 4812 times

Old 05-31-2012, 03:55 PM
Registered-II

Default Home Depot Selling Used Mowers?

Went to HD today and out in the garden section was a used Ariens push mower for sale. for 143.00. The mowers wheels were filthy and underneath was caked with hardened wet grass. The body was clean though. I asked about them selling used stuff at the regester and the clerk informed me it was "reconditioned" Evidentally that is a fancy word meaning "wiped off".
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2012, 05:07 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,598 Times in 1,338 Posts
Default Re: Home Depot Selling Used Mowers?

"...wheels were filthy and underneath was caked with hardened wet grass..."

Sounds like they didn't even do a good job of wiping off just the parts that show....

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 05-31-2012, 05:18 PM
Registered-III

People will buy them, mow the lot and then return them and say they did not like it, or it ran bad. They check them and sell them cheaper as a returned unit.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:24 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,467 Times in 862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhorseman View Post
the clerk informed me it was "reconditioned" Evidentally that is a fancy word meaning "wiped off".
That's HILARIOUS! Wiped off= reconditioned!
Kevin
Old 05-31-2012, 08:56 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,197 Posts

That is the trend of a lot of people today, buy it to use a few times then return it and get a full refund. Sometimes they don't put oil in them and then claim there defective. Some stores send them out for repairs then resell others just destroy them and throw thrm in the scrap bin or dumpster. Always after the power is restored after major storms people return the portable generators big time. I deliver to these big box stores all the time, you wouldn't believe what goes on. F.J.W.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:06 PM
Subscriber

This is not all that uncommon for Home Depot and also Lowes. Home Depot has their lawn and garden stuff repaired at various Altaquip shops around the country. Altaquips are a division of the Scott Fetzer Co which is owned by non other than Warren Buffet. Lowes until last year used small independent shops but now has gone to Altaquip also. From the work Ive seen of them in our area they hire hacks because they dont pay well. The repairs are sub par. We were lucky enough to have several Lowes stores until last year and they sent us tons of repairs for resale. Most mowers were either used commercially and were junk or run with no oil out of the box and junk. We did it all. We did it right though as we power washed everything and it looked as close to new as possible. I hope theyre happy with those hackers now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Motormowers:
Old 05-31-2012, 10:18 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,151 Times in 1,796 Posts

sears does the same thing. They sell a mower in the summer, it gets used a couple of times and the owner leaves gas in it all winter, gas turns to goop and come spring it won't start. Service plan will often just replace it and they send them out to be fixed. When they get them back they're less than half price.
I bought a self propelled high wheel 6.5 hp battery start, bagger last year that still had paint on the leading edges of the blade for 150.00, 399.99 new 5 months earlier.
Mowing in style. turn the key and squeeze the go handle.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:51 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWurth View Post
That is the trend of a lot of people today, buy it to use a few times then return it and get a full refund. Sometimes they don't put oil in them and then claim there defective. Some stores send them out for repairs then resell others just destroy them and throw thrm in the scrap bin or dumpster. Always after the power is restored after major storms people return the portable generators big time. I deliver to these big box stores all the time, you wouldn't believe what goes on. F.J.W.
And those kind of scuzzy dealings are what causes the rest of us to pay more for our stuff. Moreover, when one of us has a genuine problem (like I did with a Crapsman riding mower), the store isn't inclined to help us out because they think we're one of "those" people.

I really hate dishonest people. They're the armpit of society.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:12 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,827 Times in 2,468 Posts
Exclamation Re: Home Depot Selling Used Mowers?

One of the local home despots by us, sends the trashed units to my son's shop for a look over. If the unit just needs a clean up, it is tuned, cleaned up and returned to the store for discount resale. If truly trashed (about 30% are beat), they are busted up and scrapped. Usually a busted part is returned to the store to prove the unit was destroyed. The local Sears just busts the engine with a sledge hammer, and tosses the remains in a dumpster. They recently caught a couple people stealing them and scrapping the trashed units. State law concerning scrap sale caught them - you have to present a valid state D.L. and proof of current address when scrapping here. Local scrap yards video the scrap brought in and the seller, so there is no chance of thieves getting away with scrapping, at least here locally.
Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey: