Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Homelite String trimmer fuel system help

Ok im working on my dad's homelite string trimmer. It dosnt start, and dosnt want to prime, like I...

this thread has 29 replies and has been viewed 5905 times

Old 06-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Registered-III

Default Homelite String trimmer fuel system help

Ok im working on my dad's homelite string trimmer. It dosnt start, and dosnt want to prime, like I push the prime bulb and nothing comes through. plenty of fuel in the tank. It has 2 fuel lines comeing out. Are these desighned to create a pressure inside the tank and push the fuel into the carburetor?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Homelite String trimmer fuel system help

One should be a return line.I'm haveing the same problem with a craftsman leaf blower.I'm thinking I need a carb kit or fuel lines replaced.Or a check valve is stuck.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Registered-II

I recently worked on my father's Homelite trimmer as well. It was one of the straight shaft types with the blade attachement. Same problem, no fuel, would not prime. The needle and seat had deteriorated either due to age or the alcohol in the fuel. Needs a carb kit. The previous post was correct with the second line being a return line. Check the fuel lines. They have a tendancy to rot. These small two cycle engines will drive you nuts when they do not work. Best of luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Miley:
Old 06-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,450 Times in 954 Posts

Battled my string trimmer this year replaced both hose and installed new carburetor and primer bulb got the carb online from repairclinic.com wast but a little over 20.00 or you can try the repair kit first you may go to your local lawn mower shop and get 2 hoses and try to blow your carb out with low air take it apart and look at the diaghram to see if it has hole in it or is real hard should be flexible
Old 06-01-2012, 09:59 PM
Subscriber

In a word, ETHANOL

If you're lucky you might get away with taking the carb apart and cleaning the various parts with CLR, followed by rinsing with water and blowing dry with compressed air. For good measure follow that up with a good carb cleaner. To avoid a re-ocurrance buy whatever ethanol free gas you can find and to hell with the cost. It will be well worth it just for the aggravation factor alone!

Bill
Old 06-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Subscriber

I had the same problen replaced rubber gas lines and started using airplane gas
Old 06-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Subscriber

I have a Homelite and it has never run well. The fuel lines failed by the end of the first summer I owned it; I replaced them with the high quality after market fuel lines, cleaned the carb and it still doesn't run properly.
I am seriously considering buying an Echo or a Stihl because my shoulder just can't take all the cranking. I know two people that have Echo's and the machines are several years old with no trouble and are running regular 87 octane fuel that is supposed to have ethanol. The quality of the machine makes a difference.
I originally bought Homelite because I thought they were a good quality product but I was very disappointed.
Bob
Old 06-02-2012, 03:51 AM
Registered-III

Ok well went down to the local small engine shop, and got fuel line. Used it on the return side, coz the supply side was ok. took about 100+ pumps of the primer bulb to get a tiny amount of gas in there, got it to fire up, works for about 2 or 3 minutes, then leans out when revved and runs roughly on idle. Runs great after I split second choke the engine for another 2-3 mins. Upon disassembly of the carb, I found the diaphragm is totally stiff from ethanol crap. So back down to the local small engine shop to ORDER a carb kit. Im gonna take the engine with. Passages are not clogged. Checked all of them. This engine ran great 2 seasons ago til my dad went to the wrong source for gasoline, and picked up ethanol crap. Ive had this carb apart like 5 times cleaning ethanol out of it in the past 6 years. Once a season. Since the diaphragm is stiff it isnt properly opening that carburetor valve which isnt letting the proper amount of fuel in for both priming and keeping the engine running. Sucess on diag.

---------- Post added at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailey Henderson View Post
I had the same problen replaced rubber gas lines and started using airplane gas
Haha hows it run on airplane gas? And @ robw, my dad mentioned today hes thinkin about buying a Stihl. And if he does, I get this homelite one, he said so today. Besides, every time I mess with it, it runs great.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:36 AM
Subscriber

Homelite is built just as cheap as they can.
It used to be a good product now days it is as much plastic as they can.
I won a small chain saw in a raffle and you would not believe that the crank case is plastic and held together with screws that just screw in to plastic.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,733 Times in 2,404 Posts
Exclamation Re: Homelite String trimmer fuel system help

New Poulan saws made the same way! Mostly plastic!

E-10 crap fuel will dry out the diaphrams, especially if they are run dry at the end of the season. Yes you save the carb from mayhem, but the rubber gives up. Check the clunk (filter) in the tank too. It will jam up if any condensation or moisture gets into it.

By all means, use high test fuel in any 2 stroke, in fact Stihl demands it! It has less or no Alky in it, and carb parts and passages will thank you. E-10 causes fuel seats and needles with the rubber tips, to degrade, mostly within a season of running. I have found the same in Techumseh 4 stroke engines, with carbs that have the rubber seat. The E-10 causes the rubber to swell, jamming the fuel inlet - restricting the amount of fuel getting into the carb to a slow dribble. Let the engine sit a couple minutes, it will run 2 or 3 fine, then will lean out and quit. By the time you pull the fuel bowl, it is full again. This will drive you nuts! Only by leaving the bowl and float off and allowing the gas to flow, will you see that not enough fuel flows to supply the engine for long.

As a side note, I saw a new Sears mower here in NJ, today! Has a BIG label on the gas tank. DO NOT USE E - 15 FUEL IN THIS MACHINE. TO DO SO IS UNLAWFUL AND WILL VOID ALL WARRENTIES! Gee, if only they would put the same label with E-10 on the machines, it might save a lot of people a lot of money!
Andrew
Old 06-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Registered-III

My truck and my BMW BOTH dont like ethanol. In fact on newer BMW cars, theres an alcohol sensor in the fuel circuit. If this sensor senses more than a certain preset amount of alcohol in the gas, theres a light that comes on on the dash that represents too much alcohol. Mines an older one, and it likes 0 ethanol gas. My bud told me to mix in a little bit of 113 trick into the tank with some 87 to bring the octane up to like 95 or 100 and also to clean the fuel system, apparently 113 trick cleans a fuel system real good. Id bet my dads homelite would love 113 trick fuel. Might clean out that carburetor too.

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Barnett View Post
I won a small chain saw in a raffle and you would not believe that the crank case is plastic and held together with screws that just screw in to plastic.
Uhm how do you get away with making a crank case out of plastic? wont it split, break, melt, or come apart in some other manner, like on a power pulse, the plastic breaks and everything comes out from the bottom of the engine? Thats what I can see happening on something with a plastic crank case.

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Barnett View Post
Uhm how do you get away with making a crank case out of plastic? wont it split, break, melt, or come apart in some other manner, like on a power pulse, the plastic breaks and everything comes out from the bottom of the engine? Thats what I can see happening on something with a plastic crank case.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Registered-III

I've had my Homelite trimmer for over 12 years, up until this year it has been flawless. Now I too am having a carb. problem, there is some sort of restriction in the fuel flow, it will start and run, but acts like it is starved for gas.

I was thinking about a carb kit, but I am now thinking a replacement carb might be the best way to go.

Jim
Old 06-03-2012, 12:35 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by jht1057 View Post
I've had my Homelite trimmer for over 12 years, up until this year it has been flawless. Now I too am having a carb. problem, there is some sort of restriction in the fuel flow, it will start and run, but acts like it is starved for gas.

I was thinking about a carb kit, but I am now thinking a replacement carb might be the best way to go.

Jim
My carb is not restricted in any way. I know that the diaphragm is so stiff that the valve dont come off the seat and therefore it dosnt promote proper fuel flow. it also has holes in it. Which dont help.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jht1057 View Post

Jim
I see more carb problems than anything else, but don't forget the basics..... is it possible there is an exhaust restriction?

I no longer rebuild 2-cycle carbs. It's just not cost effective any more. When you consider that Stihl has lowered the cost on many of their popular carbs, (many under $30), it's a no-brainer. Replace, not rebuild.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprkplug View Post
I see more carb problems than anything else, but don't forget the basics..... is it possible there is an exhaust restriction?

I no longer rebuild 2-cycle carbs. It's just not cost effective any more. When you consider that Stihl has lowered the cost on many of their popular carbs, (many under $30), it's a no-brainer. Replace, not rebuild.
no exhaust restriction.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Subscriber

I have a stihl stringe trimmer and hedge trimmer using plane gas no problem now for 2yrs more expence but worth it.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:03 AM
Registered-I

Most 2 stroke problems I have encountered can be traced to one or more of a handful of problems.

The most common is dried out or hardened fuel lines. These will allow air to enter the system and throw off the mixture. It may not look like much air is getting in, but these are usually small carbs so it does not take much.

Next the diaphragms in the carb are hardened. This will not allow the metering diaphragm or fuel pump diaphragm to operate.

Make sure the carb is clean and all passages are open.

Make sure you have a fuel filter and that it is clean and not gummed up. With out a filter some engines will suck air bubbles from the sloshing fuel in the tank. This will in turn throw off the mixture.

That will usually take care of most "broken" engines that are brought to me.

If that fails check to make sure the gasket between the carb and cylinder or case is sealing. I like to use a thin coat of aviation permatex.

Next would be to check that the small pulse port from the crankcase to the carb is not plugged. Usually it isn't, but if it does get plugged, the carb won't pump fuel.

If all that fails you most likely have a crankcase leak. Either at the crankshaft seals or where the case is split to open. Crankcase leaks are tricky because often the engine will run at idle or part throttle, but not at WOT. If you don't have a way to pressure check the case, then the best bet is just to replace the seals; if you can get them.

Hope that helps and good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to larskyler:
Old 06-04-2012, 12:49 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by larskyler View Post
Most 2 stroke problems I have encountered can be traced to one or more of a handful of problems.

The most common is dried out or hardened fuel lines. These will allow air to enter the system and throw off the mixture. It may not look like much air is getting in, but these are usually small carbs so it does not take much.

Next the diaphragms in the carb are hardened. This will not allow the metering diaphragm or fuel pump diaphragm to operate.

Make sure the carb is clean and all passages are open.

Make sure you have a fuel filter and that it is clean and not gummed up. With out a filter some engines will suck air bubbles from the sloshing fuel in the tank. This will in turn throw off the mixture.

That will usually take care of most "broken" engines that are brought to me.

If that fails check to make sure the gasket between the carb and cylinder or case is sealing. I like to use a thin coat of aviation permatex.

Next would be to check that the small pulse port from the crankcase to the carb is not plugged. Usually it isn't, but if it does get plugged, the carb won't pump fuel.

If all that fails you most likely have a crankcase leak. Either at the crankshaft seals or where the case is split to open. Crankcase leaks are tricky because often the engine will run at idle or part throttle, but not at WOT. If you don't have a way to pressure check the case, then the best bet is just to replace the seals; if you can get them.

Hope that helps and good luck.
I know for a fact that the diaphragm is hardened from ethanol. I already checked it. This is why Im gonna order a carb kit for it coz all the passages are clean
Old 06-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Registered-III

Haha turns out the small engine shop had a carb kit for that series of carb in stock. SOOOOO I bought it, threw it in, and it runs GREAT! Yea buddy!
Old 06-06-2012, 10:13 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,733 Times in 2,404 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Homelite String trimmer fuel system help

Sometimes it's the simplest things! A diaphram is a cheap fix, and easy enough to replace. If that didn't work, rotary file #13 for the carb, and a new one will do nicely, thank you very much. Glad to see you got yours sorted out!

As for plastic crankcases, it's like the plastic cams they are using in 4 stroke engines - I cannot see them lasting that long, especially in heavy service. My son has told me that his shop is now seeing Poulans about 2 to 3 years old, with the plastic case, having crankcase leakage due to warping near the assembly bolts. Aparrently the plastic is distorting near the bolts, allowing minute cracks to open in the case half joint, which in turn is allowing air into and out of the case. This is leaning out the mixture enough to burn the cylinder and piston up. Poulan has yet to address the problem. Biggest indicater that the problem is presenting itself - oil is appearing at the bottom of the case in which the saw is stored. Wipe off the crankcase, and within 24 hours, oil appears at the case half joints, near the case bolt up areas. One saw was so bad, that when fired up afer sitting overnight, a fine spray of fuel/oil mix was actually seen being blown out of the case by another worker who happenned to be walking by. The actual openning couldn't be seen, but when the saw was turned upside down, and the engine was pulled over, the leakage at the joint could be plainly seen!

i recently had to scrap a brand new Poulan back pack blower. The owners son put straight gas in it, and it didn't run 5 minutes before it slowed and quit. He then put the same gas in a Stihl blower, and promptly burned that one out too. The poulan had a plastic case as well - only metal was the crank, bearings, rod, piston and cylinder. Oh yeah, nuts and bolts as well as parts of the carb too. 1/2 the carb and its mounting was also plastic.
Andrew