Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

In need of a diesel guru/teacher

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1961 times

Old 06-02-2012, 08:25:48 PM
Registered

Default In need of a diesel guru/teacher

Hi there, Jim from Alaska again. Question for the the moderators. If I'm gas wise but diesel dumb, where within this site do I go to ask the dumbest of question? 6-71 detroit diesels is where I need to start my learnng curve.
Thanks
Jim
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2012, 09:32:46 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,454 Posts
Default Re: In need of a diesel guru/teacher

Jim:

Go to the Diesel section here. If you're nice, you can get a lot of information.

I may even be able to answer a question or two.

Take care - Elden
http://www.eldensengines.com
Old 06-03-2012, 05:44:15 PM
Subscriber

you can find a shop manual for 20.00 that you will need anyway then it will be easer to help you
Old 08-10-2012, 10:14:59 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by notaalias View Post
Hi there, Jim from Alaska again. Question for the the moderators. If I'm gas wise but diesel dumb, where within this site do I go to ask the dumbest of question? 6-71 detroit diesels is where I need to start my learnng curve.
Thanks
Jim
no you shoud not start learning desiel on a det. 71. they can over rev easy if the rack hangs or bad injector or gov.hangs.start with old cum.or cat anything but a two det.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:52:56 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,037 Times in 681 Posts

Detroits are OK to learn on too, especially if thats what he has now lol!

The point is that ANY diesel can 'run away', sometimes they can't be shut down by normal means. Sometimes that means they go full throttle and begin to rev out of control to the point of destruction. Sometimes it's a fuel issue, but they can also do it if they blow a turbo seal and start ingesting engine oil or maybe loose a ring and pressurize the crankcase and start snorting their oil through the PCV system, or maybe you blew a natural gas line and the genset is sucking that in. When a diesel runs away the only reliable means to kill them is to starve them for air. Many detroits and others have flaps to cut the engine air off, but often the best option is a ping-pong paddle type peice of plywood that can be slapped over the intake snorkle. I've seen videos where people stuff rags in the intake, but some diesels snort the rag and spit it out the exhaust, not to mention that can damage the engine. No shame in giving up and running for your life. I've been told large Cat 1800rpm genset rotors won't come apart till near 10,000 RPM, but at that speed when they shred its gonna be just like a bomb exploded!

Robert
Old 08-10-2012, 11:41:28 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,148 Posts

I saw one start taking off in a hot truck because the owner did not change the oil enough, rings probably worn. He jumps in cab, puts in high gear and lets clutch out to stall it.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:45:17 PM
Registered-III

go for it you have to start somewhere

I keep a large co2 extinguisher close anytime I work on a diesel you never know