Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan Generators

Noise Reduction. Back to the gurus for help. Can I lower the noise of my 1978 DEISEL 50 kw ODEG. Is...

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 1084 times

Old 06-29-2012, 12:25 AM
Registered-I

Default Onan Generators

Noise Reduction.
Back to the gurus for help.
Can I lower the noise of my 1978 DEISEL 50 kw ODEG. Is an open case. If I make a case like the enclosed ones, does it affect the unit performance?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2012, 01:20 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Onan Generators

It shouldn't affect performance as long as you have good air flow for the engine. I am not familiar with the ODEG model, so I can't help you much on that.

But I can tell you about my experiments with sound reduction. I have a small honda clone engine I tried to quiet down. I built an enclosure out of plywood, once assembled I tested it and found it made no difference.

Did some research, and found OSB was a better choice for an enclosure.
Built yet another enclosure out of OSB, almost no difference in noise reduction.

Did some more research, found egg crate foam might help (it also burns really good) I was able to get ahold of an old egg crate mattress and lined my OSB enclosure with it.
This did help, 2 db loss of noise, but its also highly flamable!

Did some more research, found out the stuff they use to line HVAC ducting in buildings is sound deadening and not flammable, I am trying to get my hands on some of that stuff for free or cheap, no luck yet

Long story short, the best and cheapest method I have found to quiet a generator is distance.

I run a small mobile DJ business and sometimes I have to amplify a wedding ceremony in the boonies where there is no power, so I use my little honda clone and 150-200 feet of cord. At 200 feet, the wind, birds, etc... is louder then my genset.
I tested this in an open field on the exhaust (loudest) side of the genset
0 feet - 76 db
150 feet - 59 db
I have noticed at 59 db, no one notices the noise.
I was once asked at a ceremony "Where are you getting power" They had no clue I had hiked my genset 200 feet into the woods 2 hours before the event.

One more tip - I have looked closely at the "Multi Quip Whisper watt" units and the best way I can describe the enclosures is its an over sized muffler.
The air flow for the exhaust and radiator goes through multiple chambers, all lined with sound deadening material (Similar to the HVAC sound board material described above)

Best of luck to ya!
The Following User Says Thank You to richard.bessey:
Old 06-29-2012, 04:10 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,616 Posts

There is not a lot you can do make significant gains in noise reduction. A critical hospital grade exhaust system will get a few DB decrease at a large expense. A good enclosure will help but that big old diesels is not going to run quietly.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:14 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,602 Times in 2,334 Posts
Exclamation Re: Onan Generators

50 KW is a pretty big unit! Enclosing will be a big project. You would have to fit a vertical exhaust, with a rain cap, not unlike that used on a tractor trailer truck exhaust stack. You would have to mount it thru the roof, with a heat sheild. You would have to supply fresh air to the engine, both for the engine itself and for the cooling system. Direct engine air intake filter can be mounted outside the enclosure, with the connection to the manifold made with flexable rubber hoses. The air inlet and outlet for the cooling must be baffeled. There are manufacturers that make these items. The outlet may have to be forced, with a fan, in order to keep the heat down within the enclosure. The unit probably would have to be mounted on a concrete slab, on vibration isolaters, to keep vibratory sounds from reaching the outside. The enclosure will also have to be covered on the inside with sound baffleing insulation. As I said, a big project!
Andrew
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Mackey:
Old 06-29-2012, 09:54 PM
Registered-I

Let say that the begining is ok. The unit has his/her own concrete house, 45' away from the residense). Two doors. One for exhaust and one for air intake. I'm thinking of covering the inside of the house with some buffering materials to see what happends. The noise comes from the unit itself and not from the exhaust muffler which is pointing away from the house to the woods. I already tryed covering one side with wood marerils but not much help.
I will apreciate your suggestions.

Jose
Old 06-29-2012, 10:04 PM
Subscriber

For sound coating your best best is going to be a fire proof fiberglass board like the type commonly used in HVAC duct work. Something like Owens 700 series rigid fiberglass.

Ike
The Following User Says Thank You to Isaac-1:
Old 06-30-2012, 12:17 AM
Subscriber

I believe Caterpillar uses a "Rubatex" style one inch sheet insulation along with some type of rubber/cork sheet insulation. I would contact Caterpillar for specifics because what they use works extremely well. The TV station where I take care of the HVAC has a 650kw Cat and when the doors are closed it is not bad, but when the doors are open even my old damaged hearing can't take it long.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Ward:
Old 06-30-2012, 01:07 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseR View Post
I'm thinking of covering the inside of the house with some buffering materials to see what happends.
Try it, let us know how well it works (I would keep your expectations low)
I would also recommend you find a way to create chambers on the doors and cover them in sound deadening foam.
Think of it this way, the more surfaces the sound has to bounce off of to get out of your building, the quieter it will be.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:02 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,616 Posts

a sound baffle fence will work to reduce projected sound if you stagger them to scatter the sound waves.

think of a picket fence with the boards alternating from one side to the other with an overlap so the sound waves get misdirected before passing through .
Old 06-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,258 Times in 836 Posts

I have used "Rock Wool" for sound absorption. It is fireproof insulation made from blast furnace slag. Obviously ,anything that could burn did when in blast furnace.
It is much denser than fiberglass, excellent sound absorption - used to soundproof rooms.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:43 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,547 Times in 1,176 Posts

I wouldn't use anything that would burn, TOO much risk of burning everything down, if a peice falls on the exhaust. Remember the nightclub in Rhode Island with styrofoam walls.
Powers said it first, but I was going to say try 6" fiberglass bats, might need some type of screen wire over them to hold them in place, maybe the type with Aluminum facing for the oil/grease issue.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:00 PM
Registered-I

Safety first. I dont want to use anything that could damage the unit or anyone. This site is with people with ample knowledge and expirience and I know that someone has solve this little problem at a low cost.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:28 PM
Registered-III

Power is right. Rock wool is a great sound deadner. I use all the time as firestop and around plumbing to cut the noise down. It will not burn. It is used in gas fireplaces as fake coals. When flames hit it it turns orange like a glowing ember. You can get it at Home Depot.
The Following User Says Thank You to MBB: