Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

Greetings Everyone

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 940 times

Old 07-02-2012, 11:52:12 AM
Registered

Default Greetings Everyone

Im glad to be here on the forums, and I guess I'll get down to what im here for. I am the great grandson of Carl Mehmke, who owned the Mehmke Steam Museum in Montana. Ever since my grandfather passed away, nobody in the family knows how to run his steam tractors and many other possessions. My goal is to be able to learn how to care for and work his tractors, and carry on the legacy him and his father started. My big question is, what are the chances of me being able to learn all this, without really knowing anything about steam and traction engines? These forums seem like a huge help, but quite frankly im just overwhelmed. I need a starting ground.
The Following User Says Thank You to cdart21 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2012, 12:04:43 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,496 Times in 934 Posts
Default Re: Greetings Everyone

Welcome to the Stak.John
Old 07-02-2012, 12:29:42 PM
Sponsor

Welcome to the Stak. I think you will find an "extended family" here who will gladly show you the ropes.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:19:27 PM
Registered-I

Welcome! There are a lot of helpful people on here; just be open about what you don't know and you can learn a lot. Ask lots of questions; I do all the time.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:35:31 PM

Thanked 11,677 Times in 3,591 Posts

Hi Chase,

Drop me a PM and we'll be able to help you learn!

Come on over to the steam forum and we can get you set up!

Beth
Steam Moderator & Steam Engine owner
Old 07-02-2012, 06:01:27 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,529 Times in 3,165 Posts

Welcome aboard the 'stak'.

As has already been said, there are a lot of knowlegeable people on here that can help you out. Beth can probably help get you set up with some in your area, and they can probably set you up with others in your area that may not even be registered on here that can give you some 'hands on' help. The SmokStak membership is growing daily, but there are still quite a few people that aren't on here yet that have a wealth of knowlege to share.

If you know absolutely Nothing about Steam, take your time and learn the basics before jumping in and trying to do anything you may not be capable of handling at first. And when they keep 'preaching' the line "Water, water, water".... BELIEVE IT. There are many other things you will need to learn as well, but keeping the proper water level in the boiler is at the top of the list.

Visit a few Steam Threshing shows if you haven't already, and let the people there know who you are and what you are trying to do. They will be more than happy to give you a hand.

If you can, please post some pictures of your Grandfather's collection.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:17:13 PM
Registered-II

Thumbs up Re: Greetings Everyone

Welcome! Do not feel overwhelmed. It is easy to feel that way when approaching something new but learning is half the fun. There is more steam experience available on here than probably anywhere else in the world. Beth V. is an excellent source to learn from. What you propose is a noble undertaking and will benefit others for generations to come and will benefit yourself in ways you cannot yet comprehend. The friendships you develop with those who share a common interest can last a lifetime and will have a positive effect on you always. Best of luck, keep us posted and do not be afraid to ask anything. There will be soemone listening who has an answer. No problem is to big if you have friends to help you through it.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:59:48 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,597 Times in 912 Posts

Welcome to the stak cdart21. I know almost nothing about steam power. You have made the start by joining the stak. I would also attend shows. Any near you which have any steam power. This is the way I have learned very much about antique power. Meet the old members and the young members at these shows. Learn from them, including how to organize a get together. After a while, if there is a place near you, you might be able to get them to help you to organize a get together. Learn on your own and get others to help you learn on your family equipment. Bill K
Old 07-02-2012, 08:04:20 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,177 Times in 2,455 Posts

I don't know nuthin' 'bout steam 'cept that it's hot.

Come to think of it, I don't know nuthin' 'bout mucha nuthin'!

Welcome to the stack! There are a lot of folks here that know a lot about steam. Stick with 'em and you'll get an education!.

Take care - Elden
http://www.eldensengines.com
Old 07-02-2012, 08:34:58 PM
Registered

Elden I just purchased a Nelson Bros. 5 HP Jumbo do you know what color it should be? Don