Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Sandwich engine stuck piston.

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 1674 times

Old 07-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Registered-II

Photo Sandwich engine stuck piston.

Just want to share my experience with this stuck piston.
I removed the head & made a wooden rubber coated damn to cover the cylinder opening. Then I flooded the cylinder with a mixture of BP Blaster, Trans fluid, Power steering fluid, & a few other brews. I allowed that to soak for a few weeks. Did a little heat on the cylinder exterior. Hoping it would allow the oils to seep into the stuck piston area.
After two weeks of soaking, I pumped out the oil in the cylinder & removed the damn, I had installed.
I used four 3/4 rods screwed into the head bolt holes,
I placed a custom machined conical shaped, steel plate up against the top of the piston.
Then, I had a 20 inch long steel pipe, centered upon the plate. I used wooden sticks to center the pipe.
Then a 3/4 steel plate was placed over the 3/4 inch bolts & down onto the pipe.
On the four threaded rod washers & nuts were placed & the tighten process began. It took a good deal of pressure to move the piston, however it moved without a fight or resistance.
I took over a week to move the piston about ten inches or to the point it fell out of the cylinder sleeve. Most boring job of my life. I couldn't keep my interest in this duty.
It basically took the same amount of pressure to move the last 1/4 inch as it took to move the first 1/4 of an inch.
I am cleaning up the rusted piston & rod by way of electrolysis. A first for me but fun in doing it.
Attached Thumbnails
P1030761.JPG   P1030762.JPG   P1030763.JPG   P1030764.JPG  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ShaneZahn:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2012, 09:37 PM
Registered-II

Photo Re: Sandwich engine stuck piston.

After the piston moved a bit, you can see by the rust in the picture of the rear of the piston. Its moving out.
Attached Thumbnails
P1030765.JPG   P1030766.JPG  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ShaneZahn:
Old 07-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Registered-II

After a week of turning on the wrench from time to time. The 20 inch pipe was only one inch out of the cylinder, When the piston dropped out of the back of the cylinder.
As stated prior. It was the most boring job of my life.
It was out & without any damage on my behalf.
The head will need new valve guilds & other work. The cylinder might get away with a good honing. So far the rest looks to be in very good condition. But I am asking Bob to give me his professional opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
P1030768.JPG   P1030769.JPG   P1030773.JPG   P1030775.JPG  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ShaneZahn:
Old 07-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,468 Times in 863 Posts
Default Re: Sandwich engine stuck piston.

Good job, and good documentation. That's the kind of stuff I enjoy seeing.
My 9HP Economy was stuck and fought to the last 1/4 inch that way.
We did weeks in the electrolysis bath, then days in the press with alternating heat and cool cycles. Finally it made a big BANG when we applied pressure. It had moved a tiny bit. It BANGED every fraction of an inch all the way out! The bore had to be sleeved on that one.
So tell us where you got the engine, and any history you know.
Thanks for posting.
Kevin
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin O. Pulver:
Old 07-05-2012, 11:52 PM
Sponsor

My 6hp Sandwich was stuck just as bad. When I got it out I just cleaned it up and put new rings in. I had to clean up the ring groves and order new ring made for the wider groves. my engine runs great now. I looked for my old post, Fire in the hole, but I could not find it. posted it in 2005 or 06.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:55 AM
Registered-II

I bassically purchased this engine last December on E-Bay. The Engine was stuck, one small welded repair on the rocker arm. Otherwise it was 100% complete. It was mounted on a wood frame with bottom end wheels.
But. It also included was, its original steel & wood frame & axles, steel wheels & the remains of the original factory buzz-saw frame that bolted to the steel frame of the engine wagon.
It was located in Maine & was being listed by a fellow collecter.
After my purchase, we agreed the seller would deliever it to my location for a fee. But after several months passed, I went & piched it up at a closer location. With all the steel parts & some heavy wood parts the E-150 truck was draging the tail pipe. But we made it home safely & still did a good speed.
To my knowledge the engine was originally sold in Maine, by a Sandwich Manufacturing Distributor. Who double taged the Engine with that companies name & address etc. That second tag is missing from the engine. The screw holes are in the water tank.
I believe the collector I purchased the engine from, purchased it from the original owners of the rig. also in Maine. But not sure.
I have another Sandwich Engine just like this one that I purchased last summer.. I only recently got it running like it came out of the factory.
They are a pleasure to play & work with.
To this moment. I haven't looked at the serial number of this engine.
I haven't started to clean it up in any way. Perhaps, I needed to know if it was going to be a wash out & parts engine or a working engine before cleaning it up. In its working days, it aquired a fare share of the most pure color of black grease. You can't walk passed this engine without getting some on yourself.
That's about as much as I can share on the this engines knowledge.
Thanks for your interest & question. Regards. DFZ
The Following User Says Thank You to ShaneZahn:
Old 07-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Registered-II

Hello Rob Ronning.
I believe I may have read the "Fire In the hole" post some time ago.
I also have seen some of the pictures of your engines in shows & such.
If I am not mistaken you have a Sandwich Buss Saw Rig. ?
If so. I will need to send you a few pictures of the saw parts I have, & you can tell me how it goes together.
I am very happy to have this second Sandwich Engine.
I can't believe how easy the piston & rod cleaned up in an electrolysis bath, overnight. I took a paint brush to it this morning & wiped all the grease & rust away. Put it back in the tank for a second cleaning.
Thanks for your interest & the post. DFZ
Old 07-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Sponsor

My big 6 Sandwich is a very early one with a wood running gear and saw rig. most of the saw rigs I have seen were steel.
Attached Thumbnails
sandwich buzz saw 001.jpg   sandwich buzz saw 003.jpg   sandwich buzz saw 004.jpg   sandwich saw 009.jpg  
Old 07-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,468 Times in 863 Posts

I like the donut flywheel Bob. I can't remember what engines it was that used those too?
Kevin
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin O. Pulver:
Old 07-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin O. Pulver View Post
I like the donut flywheel Bob. I can't remember what engines it was that used those too?
Kevin
the two early Sandwich with wood carts that I have seen both had the donut flywheel on the saw gig. the other Sandwich saw rigs had a reg flywheel in this photo you can only see a small part of the flywheel.
Attached Thumbnails
sandwich saw 6hp.jpg  
Old 07-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Registered-I

Could I get some measurements of your Sandwich cart seat? ( Or Pics ) That would look wonderful on my cart
Thanks Ed
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Kuni:
Old 07-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Subscriber

I just tried the BBQ( earlier Post) on a 6 Hp Massey Harris Engine twice and it didn't work. Maybe I will try this as, many methods to think about to remove a stuck piston. I have let them soak for years with no luck.Nice documentation too, Thanks
Old 07-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Registered-II

Bob Ronning.
Again, I would like to thank you for the two post you have added to this subjust matter. Both of your post have pictures of Sandwich Manufactured Buzz Saw & Carts. As you stated, two different styles of manufacturing was used over time. 1) "early one with a wood running gear and saw rig" & 2) "most of the saw rigs I have seen were steel"
The saw rig that was part of the purchase I made with this engine, was the steel frame style. It had wooden axles with steel covers over the wood, that a steel wheel was attached to. I believe the engine was mouted dirrectly to the steel rails. And the saw rig, which is wood, & looks much like your # 4 picture. ID # 139114 was mounted to the steel rails as well. The steel rails are ten feet long. & the saw was beyond the end of the rails.
So this saw rig is a long piece of equipment. I don't think size mattered back in the days of fire places & parlor stoves. But how do you haul something like that, out to the local Tractor & Engine shows. ?
Your pictures speak so loudly of the men of yesterday, that worked these engines & the equipment attached to them to make a living and support the families. Amazing age to be alive.
Thanks again . DFZ