Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

Hello from Indianapolis Indiana

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1168 times

Old 07-24-2012, 02:42:52 PM
Registered

Default Hello from Indianapolis Indiana

My name is Dan and I enjoy working with old equipment. Currently I do not own any hit and miss engines but I am thinking about purchasing one to play with. I do have a couple of questions if you don't mind. I currently use an Onan 4 cyl gas generator for emergency power, what I am thinking is purchasing a H&M engine to run a generator. The Onan will produce about 50 amps at 1.5 gal of gasoline per hr. How much more efficient are the H&M engines? In my small mind I would think they are very efficient compared to the more modern engines. I was looking at a 200 amp generator head that requires 30hp to operate at full capacity according to the infosheet. If I would find a 20 hp H&M engine and I don't ever see using the full 200 amps, do you think it would work? Thanks in advance
dan
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2012, 03:27:38 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Hello from Indianapolis Ind.

HowDEEEE!! In the words of Minni pearl.

Your right in my back yard.

First off, you dont want a H&M for a generator. The RPM flux between hits goes up and down and your lights would dim and bright.

You dont exactly want a 20 H.P. eaither. That big of a stationary is an oil field engine and you eaither need a dedicated trailer or a permanent fixture base for them (Like a power house)

What you need for a generator is called a throttler engine which hits every 4 cycles like a normal engine would.

A 3 Horse Fairbanks model Z self oiling unit would probably be perfect for you.

On the other hand, i dont know how a modern generator would match that engine and i have no clue if you'd need a generator OF that era TO match the engine.

Im not a generator man so i dont know.

Now you are correct when assuming the diference in stationary engines BUT ironically, for the most part they are actually much more simple than your modern motorized machine and i have no idea about Gallons per hour.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:06:01 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,455 Times in 807 Posts

Welcome to Smokstak, im 40 miles north of Indianapolis, in a Little town called Alexandria.. About 8 miles north of Anderson...
Old 07-25-2012, 07:44:04 AM
Registered

Thankyou Road Torpedo and JK Widener. It good to know I have good company in the area. BTW anyone know the dates of the Rushville steam engine show? I am familiar with Alexandria, I considered buying the theater there many many years ago. Glad I didn't! I will do some research on the "throttler" engine. As far a generators are concerned, study RPM and HP are the only concerns. My thinking is there is a lot of energy in the large flywheel which would make the engine fuel efficient. I have also looked into the Lister diesels which run at slow speed but thanks to our government they are hard to get now. From my research the Lister is very very fuel efficient. MY desire is to be able to power my house and shop during peak times and not pay the power company and I am looking at a property with a gas well. Thanks again dan
Old 07-25-2012, 08:31:15 AM
Subscriber

August 2,3,4,5 Stop by the machine shop and say hi if you make it. Dale
Old 07-25-2012, 05:30:27 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,455 Times in 807 Posts
Default Re: Hello from Indianapolis Indiana

The theater has a long line about every night they are open.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:54:50 AM
Registered

Default Re: Hello from Indianapolis Indiana

To: Dale, thanks for the info. My wife and I are thinking about attending possibly on Sat. It will be a treat for the both of us. One of these days when I have time to make a trip through Rushville I will stop in and have a chat with you. I would like to pick your brain. I would even buy lunch. To JK, thanks for the update on the theater. It was a shame to see such a nice theater sitting unused, I am happy to hear that it is doing good. So many small town theaters have failed and are no longer. Take care dan
The Following User Says Thank You to dank39 For This Post: