Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

New guy from central North Carolina

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1171 times

Old 08-27-2012, 06:32:31 PM
Registered-I

Default New guy from central North Carolina

Hey everyone, my name is Drew and I'm new to the site. I'm 24, married for a year and a half, and I have a BS in mechanical engineering. I've been a member of the ATHS for several years now and I've decided to venture into hit and miss engines.

Here's my collection and how long I've owned each one:
1966 Chevrolet C-10, 250 inline 6 and 3-on-the-tree (9 years, 16th birthday present).
1956 White 9000TD, Cummins C-160 and Roadranger 8 speed, runs but doesn't drive yet (2 years)
1946 International Harvester I-4, purchased new by my great-grandfather and was handed down to me. I received it not running, rebuilt carb and distributor and now it runs like a top. (4 years)
1945 Farmall A, purchased with seized engine and two bad tires, freed engine up, rebuilt carb, disassembled starter and oiled everything, belt started with I-4 last summer, first time running in 30 years. (1 year)

I'm also building an apple cider press from scratch to see if I could do it or not. I should be finished with it in a few weeks barring any major setbacks. Right now it can be hand powered or belted to my Farmall A with a v-belt. I'd like to find a smaller (3hp or less) hit and miss or throttle-governed engine to power it because it would be easier to transport in the back of my C-10, and look a lot cooler.

I spoke at length with a gentleman at the Denton, NC Thresher's Reunion about McCormick engines and a few things to look out for getting into the hobby. I look forwards to learning as much as possible here before I start seriously looking at engines.

-Drew

P.S. Here is my youtube page with all of my toys in action.
http://www.youtube.com/user/teeter1939?feature=mhee
The Following User Says Thank You to dcwaller66 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2012, 05:25:48 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: New guy from central NC

Welcome to the Stak Drew.
Your I-4 story is really touching. It is always nice to hear of tractors being passed down and being cherished by someone in the family.

Keep on Collecting!
Candy
Old 08-28-2012, 05:34:10 PM
Registered-I

Candy,

When I received my I-4, I was happy to get the tractor because everything else around it in the barn was scrapped by one of my uncles. Luckily, the same uncle was cleaning up some of my great-grandfather's paperwork and found the owner's manual for the tractor. In several areas, there is some very neat cursive handwriting in red crayon my grandfather made when he was in grade school. I also have a few pictures of my grandfather (roughly 3 years old) getting a ride on my great-grandfather's lap.

The Following User Says Thank You to dcwaller66 For This Post:
Old 08-29-2012, 10:31:58 AM
Registered-III

I know how it is when family members that don't care about saving the farm items. I'm glad you were able to procure this tractor and get it running. I believe that everything happens for a reason. It got saved because the tractor was meant to be yours.

The pictures and original paperwork are wonderful to have, too. Just to know that your relatives have held the same booklet and been on the same tractor I'm sure brings you satisfaction!