Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets MEP Mobile Electric Power, APU Auxiliary Power Unit and other military surplus generators.

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets

Mep 002a has me frustrated

I have a Mep 002a genset in which the voltage regulator did not work (voltage meter jumped and...

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1025 times

Old 09-14-2012, 04:45 PM
Registered

Default Mep 002a has me frustrated

I have a Mep 002a genset in which the voltage regulator did not work (voltage meter jumped and lights exhibited the strob light affect constantly). I replaced the output transistor and all seemed to function properly. As I added load (turn lights on and turned on multiple power equipment tools), the voltage meter needle would be rock solid stable and the governor worked properly, keeping a constant 60Hz. But when I reduce load by turning lights and equipment off, the voltage meter needle begins jumping and any remaining lights that are on start strob lighting. Thinking that my new output transistor may be flawed, I replaced it a second time with another new one. The outcome with the second new output transistor is the same as with my first replacement. If I shut the genset down and restart, all is ok as I add load, but as soon as I start reducing load, the voltage output starts jumping again.

Hope someone can help me out with this issue

thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2012, 01:50 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Mep 002a has me frustrated

I would guess it is the reg.Connect an analog volt meter across the field terminal connection on the VR and go through the sequence and see what your voltage does,hold steady? or fluctuate. Also you can disconnect the reg and put 12 volts DC across the field term ,Check Polarity and see what you get.
R
Old 09-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Mep 002a has me frustrated

In the technical manual there is a procedure to set the regulator's ability to respond to suddenly changing loads. This is adjusted at R15 or R16, depending on which version of the regulator you have. It says to turn R15/16 counterclockwise until the output voltage becomes unstable, then turn it clockwise until it stabilizes, then continue 2 turns. It goes on to say that instability will be most obvious following the addition or removal of a load.

I'd try this adjustment and see if the flickering stops.