Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets MEP Mobile Electric Power, APU Auxiliary Power Unit and other military surplus generators.

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets

Mep005 generator

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1593 times

Old 09-17-2012, 09:13 AM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Mep005 generator

I picked up a MEP005a at auction and put all new fluids and filters. I let it run for a while and noticed that it was blowing a lite blue/white smoke out of exhaust. Then I noticed a dark oil coming out of exhaust manifold that you can see in pick that I'm posting. I'm also not getting a reading on my Hertz gauge, but volts seem to be working fine. Any Help?
Attached Thumbnails
0916121738.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Subscriber

Liked 3,153 Times in 1,801 Posts
Default Re: Mep005@

thats wet stacking. unburnt fuel.
Needs to be loaded up with heaters or other good electrical load and run hard for a couple hours.
The Following 2 Users Like This Post:
Old 09-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Subscriber

Liked 1,022 Times in 808 Posts

Like Ed said, looks like wet stacking, those Hercules engines in the MEP-004 and MEP-005 are legendary about being easily prone to wet stacking if ran at under about half load.

Ike

p.s. sounds like you likely have a bad Hz gauge / gauge frequency transponder
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 09-19-2012, 07:23 AM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you both for your input. What type of equipment should I look for to put loads on these 004's and 005's? And how can I test my Hertz gauge, or can I just pull one out of my 004 and put in my 005 just to see if it works? I want to get my RPM's, for starting and shutting down, but it's tuff without a working hertz gauge.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Subscriber

Liked 3,153 Times in 1,801 Posts
Default Re: Mep005 generator

Electric space heaters are a good resistive load bank plus they are variable wattage , so you can add load in sequence.
I have several 240 volt garage heaters that I found at the dump for free. electric baseboard unit get thrown out all the time.
Basically anything you can use to load up unit.
Electric stoves are good load banks by the time you get all the top burners and the oven & broiler going.

As for the gauge::: Don't know what they are so interchange might or might not work. Maybe someone like nehog can answer that for you.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Registered-II

Liked 69 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Sparks View Post
As for the gauge::: Don't know what they are so interchange might or might not work. Maybe someone like nehog can answer that for you.
Frequency gauge...

They are two part units, a 'sensor' or 'sender' that is mounted inside the panel box on the rear, and a meter on the panel itself. They are specified as matched, however many have swapped these around without problems. However, there are several different specifications for the meter and the sender so it is possible to miss-match them and have inaccurate measurements. Personally, I suspect any gauge from the MEP-005 will work in a MEP-004 and vice-versa.

Two things, I found on my MEP-004a that the sender module had two adjusting screws on the back (only accessible with it removed from the unit) and that these had gotten dirty inside. I cleaned them (mark the current position, then swing them from minimum to maximum a few times) and my existing meter worked just fine. You can also easily calibrate this meter by connecting the sender's input wires to any handy 120 volts source such as an outlet (careful, line voltage is present on the terminals when this is done) and adjust the two screws until the meter reads exactly 60 Hz. It (the meter) is unlikely to be accurate at 50 Hz if you do this but for most of us it is a case of 'who cares' since we only want 60 Hz anyway.

Of course, another alternative is to just replace the gauge with a digital equivalent from eBay. Just search for "digital frequency gauge"
(without the quotes) and you'll find a bunch, most under $50, some for under $20.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:03 PM
Registered-III

Liked 1,453 Times in 914 Posts

I want to get my RPM's, for starting and shutting down, but it's tuff without a working hertz gauge.
I have been using a kill-o-watt I bought for $16.00. Seems very accurate at 60 hz - I plug into house and check it before using it on gen.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:44 AM
Registered-II

Liked 69 Times in 62 Posts

One should always shut down, and start up at the running RPMs, which for a MEP-004a/MEP-005 is at 60 Hz is 1800 RPM. Basically one never touches the throttle knob except perhaps to fine tune the frequency.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:50 AM
Registered-III

Liked 967 Times in 534 Posts

These units were made to run 50/60 hertz. It is Okay to have your throttle properly set for a minimum of 1440 rpms (48 hertz). It is Okay to start and warm it up at this rpm--did it for many years. As a matter of training and habit, we always turn the voltage adjust pot down to minimum when idling them down as well.

eric