Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Converting a Lincoln DC250MK to a PTO drive Welder/Gen.

I have been considering converting a 1965 Lincoln DC250MK "Aircraft" (208-220-440 3-phase motor...

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 1548 times

Old 11-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Registered

Default Converting a Lincoln DC250MK to a PTO drive Welder/Gen.

I have been considering converting a 1965 Lincoln DC250MK "Aircraft" (208-220-440 3-phase motor driven welder) to PTO drive so I can use the welder around my farm and hopefully generate AC power too. Anyone ever seen this done?

Does anyone know about how many HP this might take to make use of full welding amperage? Tag on it says 16 input amps@440volts. Was planning on running it off the PTO of my 50hp JD tractor at about 1800 engine rpm, and putting something around a 12:1 gearbox in between to get the welder up to 3600rpm.

I know the DC portion is self-exciting, so the welder will work fine when driven by the PTO, but I'm wondering if this will also mean that the AC motor will generate current without any outside power sources. If not, I was also thinking of running a old 4kw generator off the pto, then using the AC portion of the welder as something like an overdriven RPC in order to generate current well over little generator's capacity.

I know this might seem like a giant waste of time, but I already have all the components available, so I say...Why Not?

Really though...Why Not? Is there anything I'm forgetting to consider? Issues with matching the rpm/cycles of the generator and welder motor? Do I even need the little generator? HP of the tractor adequate for all this fun (considering it probably only produces 30-40hp at 1800rpm, if that)?

Thoughts, ideas, jokes, or whatever...all appreciated.

BTW, I did test and adjust the welder at our factory on 440v power and it welds sooo nice!

Thanks,
Phillip
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Converting a Lincoln DC250MK to a PTO drive Welder/Gen.

Looks like the input power is about 7KW (16AX440V). The rule of thumb is it requires ~2HP to generate 1KW, so you have plenty of tractor to power the welder. The AC motor could possibly produce power if driven above synchronous speed and excited by 60 Hz AC from another source. That source would have to be synchronous.
With the decline of farming in many areas of the country I would think you could obtain a used 540RPM PTO drive generator relatively cheaply. Depending on the size you could generate up to 25KW of AC and it would operate your welder as necessary. There would be no esoteric drive train to fabricate, just mount the equipment on a suitable trailer or 3 point hitch frame to use with your tractor.
Have fun,
Jack Hottel