New Server!
Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

What's the difference between a "J" and "K" onan

I have a onan 4ky fa26100 series "J" year 2001 and I have a chance to pick up a 4ky fa26100 ...

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1013 times

Old 11-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Registered-III

Default What's the difference between a "J" and "K" onan

I have a onan 4ky fa26100 series "J" year 2001 and I have a chance to pick up a 4ky fa26100 series "K" year 2007 that has lots of hours and a bad motor for $200.
Can someone tell me what's the difference between a J and a K series or to put it another way what parts are interchangable and probably worth having on hand as my personal spares ?

thanks John in Odessa
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,541 Times in 905 Posts
Default Re: What's the difference between a "J" and "K" onan

The 4KY series was not one of Onan's better ideas, due mainly to the fact that it ran at 3600 RPM and held only 1 quart of oil. Originally they had a low oil shutdown, but it caused so much trouble Onan stopped using it. The owners never remember to check the oil, it runs low, and you've got a bad motor.

$200 for a unit with a lot of hours and a bad motor? You gotta be kidding me.

You would be better off putting your $200 toward a running older unit like a BFA, CCK, or one of the Emerald series.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,839 Times in 1,400 Posts

Also in the KY series Onan combined the expensive control board and the expensive voltage regulator into one even more expensive package. All potted so it's difficult to repair.

Now when either goes bad you have have to buy the whole combined unit at an even higher price.......Good for Onan profits, bad for your wallet.

~$1000+ vs ( ~200 and ~400 for Onan parts)
Old 11-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Registered-III

Thanks guys for the input.
But what I really want to know is what parts off the "K" series unit will fit my "J" series unit. If the high dollar control boards and the sheet metal are the same I might come out ahead on the deal. I started chasing this rabbit cause I need the access panel where you check the oil.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,509 Times in 991 Posts

Hey Kevin I asked the gentleman 30.00 for the front cover with the swivel handles on it . Not trying to sell him the whole thing. I did not put it on stak because I know we don't use 3600 rpm units . That being said as lenk said about the potted board it's worth something not counting carb which is probably over 200.00 upper and lower case , starter , prime start switch, wiring harness , all air shrouds , flywheel, rotor , stater , brush holders , and what parts that can be used off the motor . I didn't think I was that for off on the price. If somebody needed that stuff . Zjtr10 you would have to look at the parts manuals for both units and match some parts numbers up. Maybe this is why nobody has a used parts place for this stuff . I sure didn't mean to offend anybody.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,839 Times in 1,400 Posts

I would put an ad up on the Stak, I guess alot of RV guys post here and need parts.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,541 Times in 905 Posts

Kpack, you didn't offend me. If you can part out a non running KY, more power to you.

I hope I didn't offend you when I said "I" would not give $200 for a KY with a blown motor. I still believe the OP would do better looking for an older BGE, CCK, BFA, or other long life Onan than putting $200 into spare parts for his currently running KY. These older and certainly more rugged units show up every once in a while on CL, for as little as $100, and in my opinion would be a better investment.

Sorry, I can't answer the question of which parts are interchangeable.

I have a copy of the KY parts list 981-0246B, which covers spec A-H.
I have the 981-0503 service manual which covers spec A-H.
I have the 981-0530C service manual which covers spec J&K.

Any of these can be yours for the price of an email address that can accept large attachments. Perhaps it will help you decide which parts are interchangeable.

By the way, I am somewhat familiar with the Microlite series because I have a 2.8KV I picked up for $175, running and generating, from someone parting out a motorhome. It surged a bit when I got it, but a few adjustments later it was purring like a kitten.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin K:
Old 11-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Registered-III

Kevin K, thanks for the offer of the manuals. Here is a good address for me.
john_richardson@oxy.com and the best part of that address is it has a free printer hooked to it I'll do as was suggested and cross check the major componemts to see what fits both.

All this might be a mute question due to the cost of shipping it to me. Greyhound has a 100lbs max, Saia Freight wants $400. I am posting an ad on Craigslist hoping some of the college kids coming home will need beer money.

Thanks for all the input. John in Odessa
The Following User Says Thank You to zjtr10:
Old 11-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,509 Times in 991 Posts

Alright here is the parts manual if we need it again http://de.scribd.com/doc/66438433/KY-Parts-Manual