Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Generac Generators (SEARS, etc.)
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generac Generators (SEARS, etc.) Restoring, maintaining and operating Generac generators.

Generac Generators (SEARS, etc.)

Generac PowerBoss 5500 voltage problem

this thread has 25 replies and has been viewed 3221 times

Old 11-21-2012, 08:12 AM
Registered

Question Generac PowerBoss 5500 voltage problem

I have a Generac PowerBoss 5500. Recently I replaced the carburetor and now the engine runs well. However when I apply a 2000 watt load (water heater elements) the engine slows dramatically from 62 Hz to 50Hz and the voltage drops as well. I believe the governor should speed the engine up under this load.

Before taking it to a repair shop I would appreciate some comments on what the problem my be. Your advice is appreciated.

Thanks, Larry
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2012, 12:01 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Generac PowerBoss 5500 voltage problem

I think you hit the nail on the head with the governor issue. With a mechanical governor the throttle plate should be wide open when engine is shut down. Do you see movement of throttle linkage when load is applied. Could be something as simple as a spring or linkage incorrectly installed or binding.

A long shot would be wrong carb or main jet size. Could you provide pictures of carb and linkage. If stepper motor equipped then other issues.

With engine running and no load manually push the throttle shaft closed against idle screw. The engine should slow to 1850 RPM, does it?
The Following User Says Thank You to DriverR:
Old 11-21-2012, 12:01 PM
Subscriber

Make sure the idle speed screw is not turned in too far. If it is, back it out. If the governor holds that speed under load, you need to increase the governor spring tension. If that wasn't the problem, you need to perform a static governor adjustment. As DriveR said, pictures would be helpful.
The Following User Says Thank You to RSCurtis:
Old 11-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Registered

The new Niki carb and new linkage match the old carb. The new linkage is also smooth. The engine slows when the up against the idle screw. It also increase to wide open when moved away from the idle screw. It seems that whatever is suppose to move or drive the linkage from the other end does not work.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,970 Times in 1,498 Posts

If it has a stepper motor driving the carb throttle (vs old mechanical governer) I hear the small plastic gears inside it like to go bad, (I think they are cheap $ ??)
The Following User Says Thank You to len k:
Old 11-21-2012, 02:24 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by elstonlf View Post
The new Niki carb and new linkage match the old carb. The new linkage is also smooth. The engine slows when the up against the idle screw. It also increase to wide open when moved away from the idle screw. It seems that whatever is suppose to move or drive the linkage from the other end does not work.
If when shut down the throttle is open all the way and then when it starts goes to a different position the mechanical governor is working. Where did the carb come from and what model engine is this along with part number of new carb. EBAY or dealer bought? Pics.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Registered

When shut down the throttle is open and when it starts goes to a different position - it looks like the mechanical governor is working - thanks for the tip.

The Model number of the geh set is 01642-0. The Model of the engine is 205412. This number was stamped on the OHV cover.

The carb I purchase was (words from the vendor):
"Ok all bars now went from Walbro to nikki carbs the Carb for that is

Mfg, Part #:
Supersedes From:
BS,699966, superseded by BS,591378, I carry that carb".

Please note this is my first post on this amazing website. So I am not up to speed on posting pictures.
Thanks,
Larry
Old 11-22-2012, 12:12 AM
Registered-II

Now needed is a little history, did it run correctly with the original carb and how long ago. With the load applied and low RPM condition can you manually turn the throttle shaft to increase RPM's. Is fuel flowing freely to the carb.

If you still have the old carb compare them closely, looking for differences in hole locations or linkage mounting lengths. When at the low RPM condition try closing the choke slowly and note any change, does it pick up or just want to kill it.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
Now needed is a little history, did it run correctly with the original carb and how long ago. With the load applied and low RPM condition can you manually turn the throttle shaft to increase RPM's. Is fuel flowing freely to the carb.

If you still have the old carb compare them closely, looking for differences in hole locations or linkage mounting lengths. When at the low RPM condition try closing the choke slowly and note any change, does it pick up or just want to kill it.
I brought the genset used on ebay. I picked it up at the seller house in Orlando. He said it work fine but was very loud and he brought another unit to use with his RV.

I only ran the unit a couple of times. I am not sure if it could run to the rated power. The last time I ran it was 2004 during the Florida hurricanes. The old carb (Walbro) was gumed up and I brought the new one (Nikki) one line from Henry at http://www.weedeaterman.com. I provide Henry the RMODEL number 205412 stamped on the OHV cover. His response was "Ok all bars now went from Walbro to nikki carbs the Carb for that is

Mfg, Part #:
Supersedes From:
BS,699966, superseded by BS,591378, I carry that carb"

With a load applied there is low RPM (around 50 Hz) and I can manuall turn the throuttle shaft to increrase RPM's (a lot). The old and new carbs look the same. The old has Walbro stamed on it. When in the running position I closed the choke slowly and the engine started to die fast.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:33 PM
Registered-II

Well, it is looking more like the governor. It works, but not completely. When the load is applied the throttle shaft should move to compensate which if understanding correctly it does not. To sum it up when machine is off, throttle is opened completely and when running no load it moves to a point off idle screw. When load applied no change on throttle position and engine slows, strange. Time to get your hands dirty as you have checked all external components and verified working properly.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:38 AM
Subscriber

If governor is not fully trying to compensate under load, and you checked external linkage, internal counter weight balls are stuck or the fingers of the governor wheel are clogged preventing air flow running the governor right. Happens alot with dusty conditions or machine was left in the elements.

Try resetting governor arm. The pinchbolt that holds it to the governor sprocket gets loose and falls out of adjustment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bassplayer1985:
Old 11-23-2012, 12:02 PM
Subscriber

Bassplayer is on the right track. Move the throttle from idle to full speed and note which way the governor shaft turns. Now, set the butterfly so that is's ALMOST wide open, and hold it there. Loosen the clamp on the governor arm, and rotate the shaft in the noted direction. Movement may be imperceptible. Tighten the clamp while holding the shaft. The butterfly should now be almost wide open. Start the engine and adjust the spring tension to get to about 62 cycles no load. The governor should keep you within 5% of that setting as a load is applied.

As long as the governor was working somewhat, there's nothing wrong with it. If it did not work at all, then disassembly of the engine (and generator) would be required.
The Following User Says Thank You to RSCurtis:
Old 11-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSCurtis View Post
Bassplayer is on the right track. Move the throttle from idle to full speed and note which way the governor shaft turns. Now, set the butterfly so that is's ALMOST wide open, and hold it there. Loosen the clamp on the governor arm, and rotate the shaft in the noted direction. Movement may be imperceptible. Tighten the clamp while holding the shaft. The butterfly should now be almost wide open. Start the engine and adjust the spring tension to get to about 62 cycles no load. The governor should keep you within 5% of that setting as a load is applied.

As long as the governor was working somewhat, there's nothing wrong with it. If it did not work at all, then disassembly of the engine (and generator) would be required.
The advice you all have provided is very much appreciated. I will get into the governor over the week - end. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Registered-II

I am still scratching my head over this and know where Bass and RS are going. What type engine is this OHV or flat head, Briggs, Tecumseh or Generac.

Another item which just was thought of is if the external gov spring was replaced at some time with a very strong one it would not overcome the spinning internal weights via the governor arm. Yet it would still be able to have external force (hand on the throttle shaft to slow down). It would have been cobbled together at some previous point.

As before, pictures of the linkages and springs may solve this.

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

Written differently, the OP is able to get his 60Hz just at the point governor adjustment starts to tug at spring. When RPM is needed via the arm it cannot open the throttle due to the force of the spring being too great to overcome.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:52 PM
Registered

Photo Re: Generac PowerBoss 5500 voltage problem

Attacherd are two pictures. One of the new Nikki carb installed showing new linkage and the other is the old Walbro. The new linkage moves smooth and easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Copy of New Nikki Carb 001.jpg   Old Walbro Carb 001.jpg  
Old 11-23-2012, 09:43 PM
Registered-III

I did not read all you posts, but first thing to check when you have governor issues is DO A STATIC GOVERNOR ADJUSTMENT (especially if you have replaced the carb with another type and the linkages are somewhat different) FIRST, then if the governor is not controlling the loading correctly mechanically on a generator you adjust the governor sensitivity with the governor spring tension.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:52 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
I did not read all you posts, but first thing to check when you have governor issues is DO A STATIC GOVERNOR ADJUSTMENT (especially if you have replaced the carb with another type and the linkages are somewhat different) FIRST, then if the governor is not controlling the loading correctly mechanically on a generator you adjust the governor sensitivity with the governor spring tension.
Thanks.

The linkage supplied with the new carb is the same as the old. Physically both carbs are the same.

Note when the 2000w load is applied the throttle shaft should move to compensate but it does not.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:01 PM
Registered

I tried resetting governor arm per above suggestions. That is, loosing the clamp on the governor arm and rotate the shaft. I tries several setting of ther butterfly but is all cases when a load was applied the engine slowed and the HZ dropped to the low 50s.
Attached Thumbnails
Nikki Carb ZSettings 003.jpg  
Old 11-24-2012, 03:55 PM
Subscriber

The red spring is the governor speed spring. Its set in the middle like my cousins Powermate and his runs perfectly fine. Yours looks very thin and small...you sure its the right one??? If that spring stretchs so easily then hell yea the governor can't effectively maintain speed. The long spring on the linkage simply removes slack and play in the linkage. Just make sure that is snug on the linkage.

***Lets start with the cheapest and easiest fix. Replace that governor speed spring!!!

Can you provide the Model, Type & Engine Code off the valve cover? I can pull up a parts list? If you had to disassemble the engine to get to the governor vane's/counterweight balls inside, you would only need to replace one engine seal. A lot of fricking work to get to it none the less.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Registered

The red spring came with the unit. When the engine is off the throttle is in the wide open position. When running the throttle moves against the idle screw. When a load is applied the throttle does not move and the engine slows down greatly. A tight spring will work against movement off the idle spriong.

The attached picture show the endine model numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
BS Gen Set Valve cover side 006.jpg