Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Steam School

this thread has 50 replies and has been viewed 7068 times

Old 01-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Registered-III

Liked 2,736 Times in 808 Posts
Default Re: Steam School

Mike,
You blokes are well organized about putting on fantastic rallys and you have the best railway preservation in the world. I'm surprised that the National Historic Trust or someone hasn't organized a steam school and standard licensing for steam operators in the UK.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2013, 01:13 PM
Subscriber

Liked 5,311 Times in 1,983 Posts

Don't get some of the Brits started on C of C...... Can make the folks on Traction-Talk curse and fume for pages and pages!

I haven't heard of "steam schools" per se in the UK, but do know they have several "apprentice days", where they let novices get to run engines, and I think try to teach them operator safety. Just from the descriptions I've read of them, I thought they were pretty similar? Maybe some of our over the pond friends that have taken part in some days like that could chime in and let us know more about them?

Mike M
Old 01-23-2013, 01:23 PM
Subscriber

Liked 660 Times in 213 Posts

We do- NTET run one in May each year, but that is the only one I know of.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:04 PM
Subscriber

Liked 657 Times in 280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Deets View Post
To add another wrinkle to things, the Wisconsin Historical Steam Engine Assn. has just received word that our Steam School is now an approved school in the eyes of the State of Ohio.

This is in addition to the word we received last November that our school is accepted as 16 hours of education by the State of Minnesota.

PD
Congrats Pete! Didn't see before that you had MN too. I'd say that's a very nice accomplishment to be approved by surrounding states; in fact, I didn't know of any except Rollag approved by MN.

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Christiansen View Post
Whether or not you have been to Steam School, if you need some hours for the experience affidavits we can help you at Rollag.
Jerry Christiansen
Thanks Jerry! We were up on Sunday of your 2012 class. I took my MN test, and it was also a good excuse to talk my wife into some throttle time. She is a bit phobic of deading an engine in public, so after Shelly tutored her for a couple trips around the tracks of the scale locomotive, I was able to convince her Darren would be just as gentle on the Minneapolis.

Might have to get up again this year! I have to buy another sweater and catch Tom about a "historic" certificate [not bad excuses to check out your activities again!]; I spoke with Tom about the latter a few weeks ago.
The Following 4 Users Like This Post:
Old 01-24-2013, 06:24 AM
Registered-II

Liked 196 Times in 111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-90 Russell View Post
Brad (20minnie) sorry for your pore outlook.

But Brad if you don't know should ask before you speaks.

NTA is looking to Have a school in the spring, more to come!

Zach
Well that is great news. It would be nice if more knew about it, instead of just a select few. When people do not know what is going on, it does appear dead. As far as your comment about asking before one speaks, gee I have asked people just like you before about things. Only to get no where. Kinda like you blowing up at me back a few years ago at NTA. Maybe YOU should pratice what you preach!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:51 PM
Registered-I

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Hey guys. Just out of couriousity,'is there a steam school around Ohio anywhere?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 01-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Registered-II

Liked 1,752 Times in 206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20minnie View Post
Kinda like you blowing up at me back a few years ago at NTA. Maybe YOU should pratice what you preach!
Brad, if you practice what you preach and quite running your mouth, you would have not run our one engine low on water and parked in nose down and walked away with out saying a dam thing, that's why i ripped you a new ass. Anyone will tell you dam right deserved when you have been running engines for a few years and have experience and have been tough not to do such things. And for blowing up you should watch your self for yelling at everyone in the shop and bitching at them you made an ass of your self over that water wagon, and to be honest to piss my dad and David off take a hole hell of a lot, so get your story right. If you have anymore opinion quit crying to the public and say it person you live down the road 5 miles.
The Following 2 Users Like This Post:
Old 01-24-2013, 05:28 PM
Registered-I

Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamper84 View Post
Hey guys. Just out of couriousity,'is there a steam school around Ohio anywhere?

Thanks,
Chris
As somebody who hasn't been behind a throttle yet but would love to take the classes to learn, I'm also interested for something in Ohio.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:29 PM

Liked 9,881 Times in 3,151 Posts

Has anyone heard if Greenville is hosting one again?
Old 01-25-2013, 03:14 AM
Registered-II

Liked 196 Times in 111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-90 Russell View Post
Brad, if you practice what you preach and quite running your mouth, you would have not run our one engine low on water and parked in nose down and walked away with out saying a dam thing, that's why i ripped you a new ass. Anyone will tell you dam right deserved when you have been running engines for a few years and have experience and have been tough not to do such things. And for blowing up you should watch your self for yelling at everyone in the shop and bitching at them you made an ass of your self over that water wagon, and to be honest to piss my dad and David off take a hole hell of a lot, so get your story right. If you have anymore opinion quit crying to the public and say it person you live down the road 5 miles.
So first off thats not my memory. The Engine was plum full of water which you insisted it was not. I really would not come over to see you about this if you lived next door. Your days of abusing me are done! It appears that you can say whatever you desire to whom ever you want. But when it comes back to you then you want it in public. Whatever, back to topic now.

---------- Post added at 02:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmo213 View Post
As somebody who hasn't been behind a throttle yet but would love to take the classes to learn, I'm also interested for something in Ohio.
Sorry got a bit off topic. I understand Greenville did offer one, not sure if they still are. Outside of Dayton at Carriage Hill they had one. I contacted them to ask questions back a couple of years ago and never got a reply. I was told that Auglaze Village had a class at one time, but not sure about that. Beth hinted last year that perhaps National Threshers Ass. (NTA) may be planning one. I also believe that last year someone posted about the Ohio Boiler Owners having classes too.

At this point I have not seen any posts about any schools in Ohio. So maybe this will jar something loose. I hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Registered-II

Liked 1,752 Times in 206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20minnie View Post
So first off thats not my memory. The Engine was plum full of water which you insisted it was not. I really would not come over to see you about this if you lived next door. Your days of abusing me are done! It appears that you can say whatever you desire to whom ever you want. But when it comes back to you then you want it in public. Whatever, back to topic now.
Brad,

I am sorry that you feel that way; you just have to remember that no one told you or expected you to do a thing; you chose to make them decisions. All we did was open the door to teach you and let you learn to run engines and have fun, sorry that didn’t work out to your expectations. You will have to admit that you would have never got your engine without the guys from the group telling you about it or helping to hauling it home, so you can’t say we abused you, in fact we helped you with your endeavor to be an owner and operator. And that’s not saying you couldn’t have done it on your own, but it shows that we did help you and many of them in fact. Also you need to understand when running other peoples equipment, respect them and operate them safely, if you neglect that you will have repercussions for your actions. Hopefully one day you will have more positive outlook, in till that time good luck with your steam endeavors in some other place.

Zach
Old 01-25-2013, 10:25 AM
Registered-II

Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts

ya the NTET runs one day,that's not going to be very helpful
need to get to grips with the steamers,rollers etc..
why are we always so far behind every one else....
regards mike d..
Old 02-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Subscriber

Liked 87 Times in 23 Posts

My son and I are attending Somerset Steam and Gas Engine Association steam school this year(it was a christmas present). Looking forward to it!!!!!
The Following 4 Users Like This Post:
Old 02-19-2013, 07:30 PM

Liked 9,881 Times in 3,151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyIron View Post
Heritage Park is May 18-19 Forest City, IA; online registration looks like it's filling up pretty quick now.
I see the Heritage Park School is full, but note that several folks are listed twice. http://www.heritageparkofnorthiowa.c...3-registration

Who else is attending a steam school?
Old 02-19-2013, 07:41 PM
Registered-II

Liked 55 Times in 29 Posts

looking for one in ontario ......anyone
Old 02-20-2013, 08:24 AM
Registered-III

Liked 289 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth V View Post
I see the Heritage Park School is full, but note that several folks are listed twice. http://www.heritageparkofnorthiowa.c...3-registration
I am listed as a student, but will be a field instruction again instead, so there is at least one open spot I know of...

I think some of the duplicates are "+1" equivalents where it might depend on which family member is available to go rather than actual duplicates.... There are typically a lot of families there.

(However, there was already a waiting list last month so I suspect my spot has been filled)

Last edited by isubsmith; 02-20-2013 at 08:26 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-24-2013, 09:40 PM
Registered-II

Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts

Can someone point us beginners toward some books or online resources that would allow preparatory study before going to a steam school?

I have had a passing interest in steam engines for many years, and recently have been reading in this section of the 'stak', which is a great learning place, but am sometimes baffled by the lingo, and not necessarily understanding some of the basics.

So if there is a website, or book that explains in layman's terms, basic steam engine and boiler terminology, components, theory of operation, maintenance, etc. please let me know.

I am sure there are others who would be interested in knowing this as well.

Thank You, in advance.

Stewart
Old 02-24-2013, 10:47 PM
Subscriber

Liked 295 Times in 68 Posts

Stewart ~

Here are some of the more popular books on steam engine theory and operations:

1) "J. I. Case Steam Engine Manual" (reproduced from 1920's) http://www.amazon.com/Case-Steam-Eng.../dp/9997502310
2) "Rough and Tumble Engineering" (James Maggard) http://www.nbbooks.com/index.cfm?get...ugh+and+tumble
3) "Steam Engine Guide" (P. S. Rose) http://www.nbbooks.com/index.cfm?get...m+engine+guide
4) "Steam Engine Traction Engineer's Checklist" (Jim Nowell)

If you are enrolled in a steam school, most schools typically hand out one or several of these books as part of the class.

Reading is a good way to gain knowledge, but it's sometimes difficult to fully comprehend what you're reading until you get the opportunity to stand on a platform and operate an engine with experienced instructors assisting. I also find that I'll need to read the same topic from several books before I "get it".

Good luck !
The Following 5 Users Like This Post:
Old 02-25-2013, 12:31 PM
Subscriber

Liked 336 Times in 149 Posts

Stewart:

Please don't feel that you must have a certain level of knowledge before attending steam school. Most steam schools start with terminology and the basics of how steam engines work, and build from there. If there are some particular terms that you don't understand, ask away. I'm sure the folks on this forum would happy to explain them.

Bob
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 03-02-2013, 06:11 PM
Registered-II

Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Smile Re: Steam School

Thanks, Craig and Bob.

I absolutely agree that hands on training is key for operating equipment. I am not sure however if I will be able to find a steam school I can attend this year, as it seems many are already full, and there aren't many close to upstate NY anyway. I will likely try to just chat with some steam folks at whatever shows I can make it to.

As far as specific questions, right now I am wondering how an injector actually works, and what exactly a crown sheet is. I am thinking the crown sheet is the 'ceiling' of the firebox, but not really sure.

Thanks again.

Stew