Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers, pumps, washers and antiquities of the industrial revolution.

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles

Water powered Devices

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 2947 times

Old 01-15-2013, 09:45 PM
Registered-II

Photo Water powered Devices

Hi Folks!
I posted some photos on the washing machine sub-forum of a water powered washer. One of my main interests is collecting water motors and water powered items. I was asked there if I could post some photos of other water powered stuff and since they aren't washers, I will put them on this Forum. These are a few pics that I have on hand. I can get out the camera and take a few of other items if anyone is interested.
The first 2 pics are of a water powered desk fan made by the Specialty Mfg. Co., of Indianapolis, IN. The second 2 are of a "New Century" water powered bottle washer made by the Gallagher Mfg. Co., of Lynn, MA.
Enjoy!
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG1410.jpg   CIMG1411.jpg   CIMG2081.jpg   CIMG2102.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2013, 11:02 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,567 Times in 894 Posts
Default Re: Water powered Devices

Very interesting. I woulv like to see more and also information on how they work. Bill K
The Following User Says Thank You to oldproff:
Old 01-16-2013, 12:31 AM
Registered-I

Bob, the fan is a very neat device! So, where did the water go out? Where would this have been used?

Love to see more of your collection.

Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to happyfoot:
Old 01-16-2013, 10:33 AM
Registered-III

HI Bob,
Love the water powered fan. They are hard to find and very interesting.
Could you please explain to me how the fan works.
Thanks,
Candy
The Following User Says Thank You to Candy T.:
Old 01-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Registered-III

Everything in the Knight Foundry and Machine shop in CA is water powered. The blower for the coupla, shop grinder, the line shaft that powers the machine tools, and shop press. The water motors look like centrifugal pumps. When the water leaves the foundry and machine shop, they sell the water to farmers.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heins:
Old 01-16-2013, 08:14 PM
Registered-II

Thanks to all for your comments!
Heins - Next trip out to CA you've given me a definite sight to see for sure. Thanks!
Regarding how these devices work, the ones that I've shown are really quite simple. If you picture a water wheel enclosed in a case, you have it in its most basic form. You have an inlet pipe where the water enters under pressure (simply street pressure for what I'm showing here), a nozzle which reduces the volumn thus increasing the pressure and directing the flow to a targeted spot (the wheel buckets), the wheel itself which is spun by the force of the water, and the power output shaft (the shaft the wheel is mounted on). Outside the case, the shaft may have a belt pulley or directly drive the device being powered. Once the water is used it is disgarded. Piped down the sewer, dumped down the sink drain, or occasionally just piped out and released on the ground. The fan in the first pictures has a pipe fitting on the bottom to connect a drain hose.
I'm attaching photos of a salesman's sample water motor from the Pelton Water Wheel Co. of San Francisco, Ca as an illustration. The third photo shows the inlet on the bottom right outside of the case, and the nozzle on the bottom right inside the case. The bottom of the case is open for the spent water to fall away and drain out.
Hopefully, I explained more than confused!
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG2979.jpg   CIMG2981.jpg   CIMG2983.jpg  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bob Barrett:
Old 01-16-2013, 08:41 PM
Registered-II

Photo Re: Water powered Devices

Okay.......for those who asked ( and because I LOVE sharing my junk ), here are some more water powered devices.
Bob

1) Water powered coffee grinder
2) Water powered mixer (egg beater)
3) Another water powered mixer in the box
4) Carlisle and Finch water powered dynamo (for the kid's electric
train, if you didn't have electricity)
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG2966.jpg   CIMG2968.jpg   CIMG2969.jpg   CIMG2977.jpg  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bob Barrett:
Old 01-17-2013, 12:03 AM
Subscriber

Every now and then I see old copper and brass water powered sump pumps.

I think I also saw a new plastic sump pump recently. They indicated it could be used with city water in case of power failure.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:06 PM
Registered-II

Hi Garystoys,
I think that I know what you're referring to regarding the brass sump pumps. They were made by Penberthy and you are correct that they will work without electric power. However, they don't use city water to operate. Rather, they operate on a float and valve principle. I'm attaching a photo of the sump pump, and a catalog page that explains how they work.
There are also water pumps that do use city water to operate, but they aren't sump pumps. They are called "hydraulic water lifts", and I'll show them in another post so that I can show more photos.
Hopefully, this will clear up how these work, and not "muddy the water"!
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG2990.jpg   CIMG3001.jpg  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bob Barrett:
Old 01-17-2013, 08:02 PM
Registered-II

Now........ hydraulic water lifts.
These were used in areas where "city water" was available. In the early days of city water supply, the water from the mains was generally hard water, and sometimes not pure "potable" water. Many homes also used cisterns where they collected rain water for use (often dating to before the city water even existed). Cisterns could be found below ground level or in attics, and were often maintained at a "clean" level and always held "soft" rain water. Soft water has always been valued for washing, etc. because of its superior qualities with soap, and reduced "scale" when heated.
Hydraulic water lifts (water powered water pumps) used city water pressure to power a pump which then ran cistern water through the pipes providing a better grade of water to the home. If the cistern eventually ran dry, a valve would shut off the lift and the city water would take over to provide running water.
I'm attaching 2 photos of hydraulic water lifts, and 2 catalog pages that help explain their function.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG1388.jpg   CIMG1389.jpg   CIMG3017.jpg   CIMG1390.jpg  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bob Barrett:
Old 01-19-2013, 12:16 AM
Registered-II

Hi Bob B
Glad to see some one else has some of the unusuall things I have; Yep I have a Penberthy cellar drainer too, I thought it was steam operated, but I stand corrected. Also have a Champion water lift by Cleveland Faucet co brass vertical water lift, like yours. V & K motor pump #6, Vaile & Kimes of Dayton, Ohio. There is a hand operated air pump, part of the bace. Not quite sure of the purpuse, other that to pressurize the water system? Thanks for your post and info.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
scan0006.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Whitney:
Old 01-19-2013, 01:06 AM
Registered-I

Bob, thanks for posting more pics and explanations as well.
You have some neat objects in your collection.
I have seen the hydraulic lifts before.

Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to happyfoot:
Old 01-20-2013, 12:19 AM
Subscriber

Bob thanks for the explanation on the Hydro Pump. I always thought they were an impellertype driven by the city water pressure. It appears they worked like a jet type pump used in shallow wells before sumbersible pumps became popular.

I still think our old timers really had a lot of more good ingenuity. Most of our present designers use what the old timers developed to produce modern day machines.

Back in 1963 I had to ask, Harold Cassey, my senior engineer how to do something for a machine design. He simply got a pencil and a piece of paper and drew me the answer and explained why it would work for our project. I told him I was sorry that I had bothered him. He said " son, the sign of a good engineer isn't a person that thinks he knows everything. It is someone that knows where to get the answers to his problem. I placed a sign in the engineering department with his statement and name when I became engineering manager years later.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GarysToys:
Old 07-15-2013, 11:53 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barrett View Post
Hi Folks!
I posted some photos on the washing machine sub-forum of a water powered washer. One of my main interests is collecting water motors and water powered items. I was asked there if I could post some photos of other water powered stuff and since they aren't washers, I will put them on this Forum. These are a few pics that I have on hand. I can get out the camera and take a few of other items if anyone is interested.
The first 2 pics are of a water powered desk fan made by the Specialty Mfg. Co., of Indianapolis, IN. The second 2 are of a "New Century" water powered bottle washer made by the Gallagher Mfg. Co., of Lynn, MA.
Enjoy!
Bob
Bob

I am desperately seeking a water motor to power overhead pulley fans in the AFCA fan museum. www.fanimation.com/museum

Can you help! Tom Frampton 317-697-8483

Thanks
Old 07-18-2013, 08:07 PM
Registered-II

Tom, I've sent you a PM.
Bob