Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

Fairbanks-Morse Newbie from socal maybe

this thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 1777 times

Old 02-22-2013, 11:07:07 PM
Registered

Default Fairbanks-Morse Newbie from socal maybe

I am hoping you guys can help with a possible purchase I am looking at. It is supposed to a Fairbanks Morse 6hp but he isnt sure he is asking $300. This would be my 1st purchase and I have no idea on what it is worth.

I realize I have some work ahead of me but how much I am not sure. I do have some very mechanical and electrical as well as fab skills. But I am worried about the magneto and the costs associated with it. But my real question is it worth it the asking price and how much will cost to get going.
His add reads
Fairly complete hit miss Fairbanks-Morse throttling governor from the 1920's, I believe to be a 6hp, not 100% sure. Cranks, piston free, greased up, bearings tight, one head-bolt snapped off but can be removed, no connecting rod or throttle rod, Bosch magneto not complete and end cracked off. Dwonloaded copy of operating manual. See photo's for details on motor condition. Great project for rebuild.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2013, 12:31:15 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,597 Times in 912 Posts
Default Re: Fairbanks-Morse Newbie from socal maybe

Jim it looks fairly compleat to me. The connecting rod is there. It is the shaft between the crankshaft and the piston. you may be talking about the throttle linkage and the push rod. Neither one should be hard to find. check it over for freeze cracks. The magneto can be an expensive thing. But it is not necessary. You can run it off a buzz coil, I have 2 FM I run that way. Irt was a common thing back in the day.Money was tight and some people would not spend the Money for a mag. It seems like a fair price to me. I would buy it if it was close enough to me to not have to ship it. Bill K
Old 02-23-2013, 01:23:09 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,052 Times in 733 Posts

price isnt to bad and pretty much every part can be found new or used like oldproff said a buzzcoil can be used in place of mag till a new one is found
Old 02-23-2013, 02:21:31 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldproff View Post
Jim it looks fairly compleat to me. The connecting rod is there. It is the shaft between the crankshaft and the piston. you may be talking about the throttle linkage and the push rod. Neither one should be hard to find. check it over for freeze cracks. The magneto can be an expensive thing. But it is not necessary. You can run it off a buzz coil, I have 2 FM I run that way. Irt was a common thing back in the day.Money was tight and some people would not spend the Money for a mag. It seems like a fair price to me. I would buy it if it was close enough to me to not have to ship it. Bill K
What is a buzz coil. I am looking at it in the morning it about and hours drive. Any way to tell if it is a 6HP vs a 3hp
Old 02-23-2013, 10:11:01 AM
Subscriber

"An hour and a half away" Man I would go for it! I don't have a 3 horse and I may be wrong but I thought the 5 and 6 horse FM's had the removeable water hopper and the 3 and 1 1/2's didn't. It sure looks like a 5 or 6.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:24:33 AM
Registered-I

A bus coil is what the model T. Ford used for ignition. There must be millions of them around . Good luck. Bill H.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:30:33 AM
Registered

Well I will be heading out with cash in hand and if in reasonable condition gonna have a new hobby.And BE IN BIG TROUBLE with the mrs. OH well better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission right.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:17:21 PM
Subscriber

A buzz coil is easy to make from a car coil, a ford 5 pin relay, a condensor and some wire. you can find the plans for several types on this site. Bill K
Old 02-23-2013, 12:39:06 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,177 Times in 2,455 Posts

Jim:

If the mag's not busted-up, the engine's probably worth what it would cost you to get a rebuildable magneto. I say go for it.

All I can see that's missing is the exhaust pushrod, the throttle shaft and some of the mixer (carb) parts.

The removable hopper was used on several of the "Z" series engines.

Manuals and new and used parts are readily available at folks on the Smokstak "sponsors" page. Hit-N-Miss Enterprises is a good bet.

If most of the mag's still there, I'd suggest a place like Mark's Magneto Service to rebuild it.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:51:24 PM
Registered

Well she is home
This what came with for a Magneto

Is the case just pot metal or aluminum

There is head bolt that is broken no linkages of any kind so plenty of questions will be in order And thank you for your help in advance My name is FugginJIm and I am Hit & Missaholic
Old 02-24-2013, 03:01:57 AM
Subscriber

Great find. if you are handy you can make the push rod and the throttle linkage. Ask if anyone has the dimensions. Bill K
The Following User Says Thank You to oldproff For This Post:
Old 02-24-2013, 06:38:22 PM
Subscriber

Congrats on the new engine! Is there a tag under all the paint at the front of the water tank? That will positively confirm the HP of the engine if it's there and you can clean it off to read it.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:24:13 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordson1 View Post
Congrats on the new engine! Is there a tag under all the paint at the front of the water tank? That will positively confirm the HP of the engine if it's there and you can clean it off to read it.
Thank you
No tag under the paint any way to tell by bore and stroke?
Old 02-27-2013, 11:23:49 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,979 Times in 377 Posts

Hey Jim! Sorry I missed this thread earlier. You will learn a lot here.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:53:49 AM
Subscriber

Yes you can tell a lot by the bore and stroke. some times they would change the rpms to rate the horse power different. such as maby the 5hp and 6hp. but there would be a difference between the 3hp and the 6hp. Bill K
Old 03-04-2013, 01:02:34 PM
Registered

Ok so I started getting into the old girl lets 1st start with engine ID # 587241 this is off the top of the hopper. Anyone with info on what year and where are parts available would be greatly appreciated.
Jim Coleman
Old 03-04-2013, 02:32:08 PM
Registered

Got this with it. Is this the correct manual?

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

My plan is pull it all apart especially since none of the bolts in babbit bearing caps or gear train is the correct size which concerns me.. And it looks like he had the bearings reversed not sure of orientation since none of the correct bolts would even begin to line up. So i removed said bolts yesterday and cleaned and regreased all babbit bearings there is some scoring but hopefully it wont effect to much and just that much more room for grease to infiltrate. And spaeking if the bearing orientation there is a large squared end and then the rest of the bearing I hope these large ends are supposed to be pointing out towards the fly wheel side of of this thing. This is the only way the 1/2" 13 would even begin to line up. Cause this girl will run again. I do not believe in the garden art for these beautiful machines. And if this the wrong section for questions such as this please direct me to the correct place and I will start a new thread there. I am really excited about when I can get this girl to come back to life and start talking sexy to me again. Ive always loved older woman. My wife included.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:49:32 PM
Subscriber

Your engine is a 1924. Several of the vendors on this site can be alot of help in identifying and supplying parts you may need.

http://www.hitnmiss.com/

http://www.enginads.com/starbolt/
The Following User Says Thank You to fordson1 For This Post: