Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Corn Chopper?

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 5027 times

Old 02-04-2004, 09:23 PM
Stevewold

Default Corn Chopper?

Today I was given a belt driven device for chopping corn. If I knew how to post a pic I would but I don't have the tools. It has a 28" curved spoke flywheel and has blades like a reel lawn mower. It also has a set of feed rollers that feed and crush the stalks. The only marks are parts numbers that all start with E and the NO.10 cast into the cover. I know this isn't much to work with but is there someone out there that could send a pic or web site location. Maybe ID it for me. Thanks ahead for anything, Stevewold
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2004, 09:55 PM
CJ Winslow

Default Re: Corn Chopper?

Here is a link picture of mine. Mine was manufactured by David Bradley.

CJ

My Corn Chopper
Old 02-04-2004, 10:12 PM
Andrew Albrecht

The Item you are calling corn chopper is actually called a Fodder Chopper. In the old days they chopped the corn stalks and used it for feed for the cows. I have a Unit made by the Hocking Vally Co of Hocking Valley, Ohio. and i think mine is a number 11 but it is clearly marked Hocking Valley. The Hocking Vally equimment is quite scarse I also have a Hocking Vallry Corn Sheller wood frame late 1800's. There is some information in the antique farm machinery book which i think was written by C.H. Wendal Who has a sheller himself.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:28 PM
Stevewold

CJ, It appears you hit it right on the head. The pic looks like the same one. Does yours have what appears to be a three speed selector? Is David Bradly on the unit somewhere? The one I have is minus most of the wood so your pic will help a great deal. Thank you so much for the reply. Stevewold.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:46 PM
Tony Page

They are called feed/ fodder cutters. If anyone has a good one for sell I'm interested. I use a lot of corn in my school exhibits. Tony
Old 02-04-2004, 11:24 PM
CJ Winslow

To be honest with you I am not sure if this has a speed selector or not. I do know that there are some fancy gear mechanisms on it to make it such that both drive wheels pull the corn into the cutter but can move in and out depending on the diameter of the stalks. I can get you some better pictures of this unit in a month or so when I am back home. I am a college student so right now the cutter is 150 miles from me. If you need any specific dimensions at that time I can also help you out. My Cutter has David bradley cast in one of the guards I believe - I do remember that it in a prominent place.

CJ
Old 02-04-2004, 11:38 PM
Don C. Wiley

In my part of the world most of the old German farmers had one (early 1900's). The folks I talk to called them "Haxel" cutters and yes they were used to chop corn to feed the cattle. I'm not sure I've spelled "Haxel" correctly, maybe some old timer out there with a new fangled computer can tell me if I'm right or not.

The 100 year old lady that owns the 7 HP Economy that I wrote about some time ago has two of them. Her dad had them both in the loft of the old barn. One has a hand crank and the other has a flat belt pulley on it.

The farmer had one board on the barn wall cut about four feet long and put two hinges at the top so he could lift it up and fasten it. He would then pull the Economy around to that side of the barn and run the belt up through the hole in the side of the barn and run the "Haxel" cutter. Here's a picture of the Economy as it was running last spring.

There it sits, the "Haxel" cutter today, just as it was 40 years ago just waiting for some one to use it again. It does look a bit lonely up there not being used any more. He had a hole cut in the floor of the loft so the "fodder" would fall down into the gangway so he could shovel it over to each cow. He had a modest dairy operation years ago.

"DELCO DON" Southern Illinois

Old 02-05-2004, 12:08 AM
Jake

CJ--

You said you were a college student. I am too, and I'm trying to get started in this hobby. Any advice? Mostly I'm looking for a project this summer. Thanks
Old 02-05-2004, 10:35 AM
Steve Barr

Below is my Appleton No 9 Corn Chopper. It still needs a little wood work, but hope ot have it to a show this year. I am going to have to modify the legs (the bottom 3 inches) to get it to sit level. It is currently hand operated.

Appleton Corn Chopper
Old 02-05-2004, 10:39 AM
Steve Barr

Here is a Smalley Mfg - Manitowoc, WI Ensilage Cutter that we ran at a show in Yorkville IL the past 2 years. It is owned by the Historical Society.

Detail picture of chopper
Old 02-05-2004, 12:08 PM
Bob Fultz

When I was a youngin, we called them fodder choppers. After the cows got done eating, we chop the stalks for bedding. Don't remember if the change gears changed the speed of the blades or changed the length of the feed for longer cuts.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:14 PM
Kid Dynamo

Sorry, no photo, but I bought a small fodder chopper at a garage sale in a Seattle city neighborhood. They wanted $20 on Friday and Saturday, but I took a chance and waited until Sunday and got it for 1/2 price.

Mine has no maker's mark extant but is painted red, has a sheet steel infeed chute that feeds into what looks like about a 8" wide reel cutter. The large spur gear has a spoke that has two unused pivot holes, indicating that this same gear was used in pump jacks as well as the fodder chopper.

The infeed rollers are slab side, I can't remember hex or octagonal cross section, and they are driven by a slip-tooth chain system. This causes the feed roller to advance the fodder into the cutter in a stop and go motion rather than continuously.

It is a busy little piece with all of the different gears, rollers, and pulleys going around.