Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

need help with lp on vg4d

Hi folks first time to this site. I have a wiscosin vg4d running a Kohler genset. I purchased this...

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 657 times

Old 03-21-2013, 02:04 AM
Registered

Default need help with lp on vg4d

Hi folks first time to this site. I have a wiscosin vg4d running a Kohler genset. I purchased this from a guy for 500. He told me it was taken out of a nursing home when they upgraded to another generator. This unit runs on lp. I can get the generator to turn over but I had no spark. I put a new magneto in it and now I get spark. I think my problem now is with the propane supply. Currently, I have the unit being feed with propane from a 20 lb tank ( like from a gas grill). I don’t have any regulator in the line from the tank to the supply line and I just open the tank full. Now on the generator itself there is a Eaton electric “g-lp valve” NC-1014-31E which is marked with the following on it:12vdc .9amps, .6 psi. next it has a short run of pipe and then connects to a Maxitrol valve with the following markings on it RV52 class I and II po 3-6”. Then is goes to what appears to be another valve connected to the carb with the following markings:Impco caldo A-256243. It is my understanding that the Eaton valve is used to stop or allow the follow of propane when it senses a drop in vaccum or a need for fuel? And the Maxitrol is used to drop the propane pressure down to a point where the carb can use it? My question is what should I do next? Do I need to use a valve like from a propane grill right off of the tank??? I don’t know I am stuck at this point any help would sure be appreciated. Thanx in advance Jamie. I can add some pictures if you guys need them.

See the following link where I started a post but probably used the wrong title to get the help I needed... thanx again Jamie

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showth...094#post892094
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2013, 07:23 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: need help with lp on vg4d

You must have pressure regulation between the tank and a genset.

Tank pressure has to get down to 7.5~11.0" water column (wc) before entering your fuel control solenoid.

A grill or RV tank regulator might be close enough to get it to fire off for you. If you're looking at using in a permanent LPV application, you need something like the set up shown in the link below. Its a combination regulator-- tank pressure to 10psi 1st stage/11" wc (adjustable) second stage output.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showpo...39&postcount=8

eric
Old 03-21-2013, 08:40 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,391 Times in 825 Posts

I wonder how many of the controls you have damaged by connecting propane tank pressure (100PSI+) to devices meant to use low pressure? The Maxitrol RV52 is a gas pressure reducer with a rated input of 1/2PSI, and an adjustable output of 3" to 6" WC. I guess there is no way to tell except to install a regulator as Eric suggested, then using a manometer go through each stage to see if it is working.

The best advice I can give you is to find someone locally experienced with propane engines and get some qualified help. If that is not possible, you have a lot of reading and learning to do before you try to connect anything up.

If you post an email address that can accept LARGE attachments, we can send you a few publications that explain propane fuel systems in detail. You have a LOT of reading and learning to do, and this is a good place to start.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin K:
Old 03-21-2013, 06:27 PM
Registered-III

The solenoid will lock off at those kinds of pressures, and the Maxitrol won't be damaged.

As previous posters have said, get educated about these systems before you do some serious damage or worse yet, injure someone in the process.

Dan
The Following User Says Thank You to LWB250:
Old 03-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Registered

ok Kevin I think my friery@hotmail.com account should accept that.

hey guys thanx for the feedback.... and assistance... what type of solenoid to you recommend i replace the old one with????

any recommendations on a manometer???? thanx again guys.... jamie
Old 03-23-2013, 06:57 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,391 Times in 825 Posts

Item sent:

Rego LP Gas Servicemans Manual
Fisher LP Gas Servicemans Handbook
Onan T-015
Kohler TP-5700 generator Installation Manual
Instructions on building a Manometer

Here are a few more links on constructing a manometer:

http://www.popupexplorer.com/forum/i...?topic=79734.0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnlfQK-8qy4

http://www.rverscorner.com/manometer.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin K:
Old 03-23-2013, 04:27 PM
Registered

thanks kevin you have been a great resource i really appreciate your help... jamie