New Server!
Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Crescent Band saw and South Bend lathe

Even though one of these apparently is a wood working tool, I figured It would work here. Anyway, a...

this thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 2024 times

Old 04-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Registered-I

Default Crescent Band saw and South Bend lathe

Even though one of these apparently is a wood working tool, I figured It would work here. Anyway, a while back, my grandpa got some old shop equipment. One of which was an incomplete band saw, which he threw on the scrap pile at his farm. The other was a giant lathe. I came along and spotted the band saw while I was looking for scrap metal. I asked him what he was planning to do with it. He told me he didn't want it, so I to had at it. Of course, at the time, I was interested in the two big flywheels. Later, I took the most of the remaining parts except the main stand which I thought was cut into with a torch. Well today, I got to thinking about it. A little research later revealed it was a Crescent machine co. band saw. I found a web site that had a huge picture library of Crescent band saws, but none looked like mine. That is, except for one http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind...l.aspx?id=8457. Apparently it is a more rare type that used a flat belt pulley mounted in the middle.(which explains the cut out area) The fact it has a separate base makes it different the other Crescent saws. Anyone Know about this saw and how much it could be worth?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0289.jpg   IMG_0290.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Shay 5 fan:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2013, 12:02 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Crescent Band saw and South Bend lathe

The second is A South Bend lathe that is also missing some parts. It uses flat belts as well. It is very big. I'm not sure what the swing is, but I'd say it's around 8" from the bottom of the bed to the spindle. He said if I wanted it, it's mine. It's still at his place as I don't have a good place to store it. How much would this be worth as I don't have space for this big lathe?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0293.jpg   IMG_0292.jpg   IMG_0291.jpg  
Old 04-07-2013, 06:19 AM
Registered-I

the bandsaw is part of a crescent variety woodworker
The Following User Says Thank You to THousos:
Old 04-07-2013, 09:24 AM
Registered-I

Would it be best to keep it whole as it looks like most but not all of the parts are there. I don't know much about these old machines. It uses quite a bit of what appears to be "Babbitt" in the bearings.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,328 Times in 2,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay 5 fan View Post
The second is A South Bend lathe that is also missing some parts. It uses flat belts as well. It is very big. I'm not sure what the swing is, but I'd say it's around 8" from the bottom of the bed to the spindle. He said if I wanted it, it's mine. It's still at his place as I don't have a good place to store it. How much would this be worth as I don't have space for this big lathe?
If you have room for it, it would be nice to have....

As for what it's worth...... Supply & Demand, AND Size & Location all come into play.

It could be 'Worth' $200.00 to one person and $1500.00 to $1800.00 to another. Depends on what your needs are, and IF you have the room for it and have the Ability (and/or money) to load it and Move it, whether it's being moved 2 blocks or 2000 miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer:
Old 04-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Registered-I

Transporting it is no problem for me. It just the fact it needs some parts and work done to it. Some of the gears looked to be in rough shape. I don't need anything near this big. So I was looking to get some money from it.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:57 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,341 Times in 665 Posts

The lathe looks fairly complete, at least the basic machine is there. Is that a small chuck in the larger chuck? I do not see any tooling, is there any tooling, makes a BIG difference in value/sellability. As far as working size it does not appear that big, guessing 12-14" swing and 36" between centers, its the drivetrain thats HUGE. I'm guessing your best market for that is someone that wants to setup a vintage linedrive machine shop
The Following User Says Thank You to dalmatiangirl61:
Old 04-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Registered-I

Believe me, the whole machine is MASSIVE. It would take every bit of space o my 9' flat bed truck. It is taller than me. Yes, that is a smaller chuck clamped into the bigger one. What do ya mean by tooling? The device that holds the cutting tool is there and still can be cranked back and forth. Everything is free and turns. The belt is still there too, but it will most likely need to be replaced. It's the drive gears that move the cutting tool back and forth that may need attention as some of the teeth have broken off.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:24 PM
Registered-I

OK, I just noted something interesting. One leg has the south bend tag on it, but the other has a "Somers, Filter&Tod co" tag on it, apparently another machine company.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay 5 fan View Post
OK, I just noted something interesting. One leg has the south bend tag on it, but the other has a "Somers, Filter&Tod co" tag on it, apparently another machine company.
South Bend made it and the other tag is the dealer who sold it. It's pretty common for machine tool dealers to put their name tag on what they sold.

Richard W.
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard W.:
Old 04-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Registered-I

OK gotcha. I guess I need to make sure he doesn't want it and then I'll throw up an ad here and see if I can get some money for it.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:52 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,341 Times in 665 Posts

Tooling- live and dead centers for the tailstock, bull nose centers is a +. Steady rest and follower rest. Hard to see what type of tool holder it has, if quick change there should be all sorts of tool holder, if just 4 sided then it holds tool bits, but even then there are special holders for stuff like parting tools. Most likely someone wanting a line drive lathe will want rocker tool post holder, and that requires its own special tool holders. Face plate is a plus, you use lathe dogs with that, they come in all sizes. Morse taper drill its, center drills, reamers,etc etc etc are plus's too. And that's just the basics, there are tool post grinders, spherical attachments, and more, that's why how much tooling affects price/value.
The Following User Says Thank You to dalmatiangirl61:
Old 04-08-2013, 11:21 PM
Registered-I

Ok gotcha. Would an asking price of $700 be a reasonable start? Would love to have a lathe, but I'd need something more like a 9' lathe or a bench top lathe.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:28 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,772 Times in 665 Posts

Are the threading gears for the lathe there ? It's not worth much without them. I gave away a 18 X 54 lathe last summer as it was missing the gears and it was almost Worthless to me without them.

I bought a 21 X 72 Leblond Quick Change that weighes 5200 pounds for about scrap price (500 $) in pretty Good shape and I can use that one as the gears are built in. I did save the transmission/drive system from the one I gave away.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,120 Times in 342 Posts

Keep the 16" South Bend. You can find or have new change gears made. It looks to be a pretty early model. You can never have a lathe that is too big. A QC gearbox would be better but if you're just playing one feed would be fine. Remember: clutches are for feeds, half nut is for cutting threads and only when run in backgear.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:04 PM
Registered-I

I went back to the farm today and got some more pictures of the lathe. I also found the serial number. I looked it up and I believe it was made in 1916! The serial number is 6975.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 04-09-2013, 11:55 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,772 Times in 665 Posts

Look for a pile of different size gears about a foot high or so. They would be the gears you put on the lead screw ect. for cutting different threads.

A lot of them have been lost over the years
Old 04-10-2013, 06:16 AM
Registered-I

I didn't see anything like that. Story has it that my grandpa's brother saved this lathe from a factory that was being torn down. I suspect that's where all the tooling is. This is the strange part. The stripped feed gear that I was talking about was not stripped at all. It was converted to a V belt pulley. Kinda a slop job. One of the gears has a busted spoke. Looks more ramshackeled to me and most likely more trouble than I can afford. I'd love to keep it and restore it, but lack of money speaks louder than anything else right now. I'd like to see someone with enough money to restore this thing.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg