Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu, and clones.

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators

Honda EM6500 disable automatic choke?

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1473 times

Old 04-29-2013, 06:20 PM
Registered

Default Honda EM6500 disable automatic choke?

I've got a Honda EM6500sx generator with an automatic choke. I'd like to disable this and just run the choke manually. The mechanical linkage is such that I can force the choke on by pulling out the choke lever, but pushing the lever in doesn't force it off -- it just lets the automatic choke function take over.

The mechanical part of getting the choke lever to force the choke off, I can deal with, but disabling the automatic part has me stumped. It appears there is some sort of vacuum line or something, along with various other parts that I need to disable and possible remove. Does anyone have any pointers for doing this?

My reasons for doing this are two-fold: 1) the automatic function seems to want to keep the choke on way too long. The engine sputters along making smoke long past the point where reaching into the linkage to hold the choke off lets the engine run smoothly. 2) I'm going to be converting this to run on either propane or gasoline. I did this on my old Generac 4000EXL with good results, but it has a manual choke. I'm told that the choke is not needed when running on propane, and can actually make it harder to start.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Honda EM6500 disable automatic choke?

You can either:

Remove the linkage to choke flap
Remove the Choke flap: dont do this if you plan running gas at a later time
Disable choke solenoid by disconnecting it

No need to choke on propane, there is a primer button on demand regulator. I converted my 7000EXL to tri fuel, but got a spare choke lever, cut it so size and have original as spare.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bassplayer1985:
Old 05-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Registered

Default Re: Honda EM6500 disable automatic choke?

This will be a tri-fuel conversion (Just like I did on the Generac 4000EXL you're advising me on), so I'll still need the choke, I just need it to be fully manual operation.

There is a metal bracket which more-or-less makes an inverted "U" shape over the carb. This bracket supports the existing manual choke lever: pulling it out forces the choke ON. Pushing it in does not turn the choke off, it just releases the pressure holding the choke off. Hoever, the choke seems to be spring load to be ON. If I reach a finger in and push the choke linkage to off, it slowly drifts back to ON. This happens even when the engine is not running.

The other thing the U bracket supports is a mechanism with what appears to be two vacuum lines running to it. The lines appear to activate a plunger which pushes the choke off after the engine warms up. If I disconnect these lines, I believe the choke will be ON all the time (as it is when the engine is not running). So merely disconnecting these doesn't appear to solve my problem. (If I do disconnect them, would I plug the lines?)

I wouldn't mind stripping this whole bracket and plunger assembly off, if there is a good way to connect something else to the choke linkage to set the choke (and has some detents or something to keep the choke from drifting on or off from vibration.)

Am I missing a simpler way to do this? What I'm seeing is that merely disconnecting things will leave the choke on all the time. If I figure where the spring is holding the Choke ON and remove that, it seems as though it will just swing freely, and vibration may change the choke position.

Is there an illustrated parts diagram available line for these? The owner's manual is worthless.