Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Tractors - Old Iron Lugs, Cleats and Tracks
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Tractors - Old Iron Lugs, Cleats and Tracks Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron.

Antique Tractors - Old Iron Lugs, Cleats and Tracks

IHC Titan type D 45 HP asleep for 100 years

this thread has 156 replies and has been viewed 32212 times

Old 05-19-2013, 04:16 AM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,109 Times in 98 Posts
Default IHC Titan type D 45 HP asleep for 100 years

We are very happy to be entrusted as the new custodians of this very original Titan type D 45 hp that has been sitting in the same spot for 100 years. It has been on the original farm since new and has done very little work , although it is a bit weathered but still in remarkably good condition.
There will still be some surprises I am sure- the only things missing that I can see are the igniters , maggy and auto sparker, belt pulley , and of course the roof that blew off many years ago.
I will be posting more pics and telling some history of it [ although it is not much as it did not work for long] as we go but here are the first pics of where it sat for the last 100 years.
We have a busy for weeks and a couple of 1500km round trips to recover it.
Attached Thumbnails
P4252226.jpg   P4252233.jpg   P4252234.jpg   P4252223.jpg  
The Following 128 Users Say Thank You to joe mcclelland For This Post:
Alan Svanes, Allan Severson, AUSSIE TD-40, B Pauwels, bigGURN, Bill Feasal, Bill(BC), Bob Ronning, Brad Hauck, Brad Kelley, Brasherman, Brian Flatmoe, Brock Summerfield, Brothers Clemens, Bruce Flatmoe, Bryan Donaldson, Chris Hudson, Christophe35, Clayton, Colin, Covert, Craig A, D Reachard, Dasher727, Dave Preuhs, daveaikens, David Hoover, David Parfitt, David Wilson, Davide L., Dick Brown, Don Selmer, Dwayne Fuller, E27N, Ed Bezanson, Elden DuRand, EnglishDave, farmsc, Foseng, freshieslures, FWurth, G Catlin, G Willikers, Gary Bahre, Gary Pflum, gasengineman43, Gene Williams, German George, Gilbert Armour, ihredo4, J.R.Smith, Jan4CMF, Jeff in PA, Jeff Wahl, jelbart, JFred, Jim Anderson, Jim Gordon, John Dungan, john neitzel, johnk907, jswithers, JW in MO, jwx3, Ken Majeski, Kent McMakin, Kevin A. Behnke, KevinR, KRHough, Lou Buice, lukeste, Lyle S, Malcolm Robinson, Marcel P, Mark Schneider, Marshal Reysen, Matt Montague, Matt-oilfeildengineguy, Matt1931, metal4130, Michaely, Mike King, Mike McKnight, Nate Bolduc, neilthewheel, oilpulled, oldjdinterest, Oldsiron, orange is best, P.J.Rourke, Patrick M Livingstone, Paul Spence, PFT, Phil Johnson, Randy Deweese, Randy Kvill, RandyF, ravensrayne, RedJoe, retrofit88, Richard Sturdy, Rob Mowat, Robbo, Rod Gaffrey, Roger Byrne, Scott Hartz, shawn byroad, SproutW, Steamrguy, Stephen Watson, Steve Kunz, Stuart Landry, T A Baker, Tanner Remillard, Ted Shultz, texasbest, tim2010, Tom Cwach, Tom Madden, Tom S, Tony B., Tony Thompson, Troy Vetsch, TWest, Wayne A Thackery, Wayne Riedlinger, Will Batty, William Engelmann
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2013, 05:05 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: IHC Titan type D 45 HP asleep for 100 years

Well done Joe, I have known of this tractor for many years and I am glad it has gone to an Aussie collector, I know you will do it proud.
Norm.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Norm Johnston For This Post:
Old 05-19-2013, 06:06 AM
Registered-II

Wow, Awesome to get this. I would love to find something like that some day. God willing maybe I will. Enjoy all the fun you will be having.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:27 AM
Registered-II

VIDEO: http://youtu.be/ACluiU7g1sQ

I spent a day clearing the grass and freeing up the sliding gear to get it out of gear and release the hand brake so it would roll when we went to move it .
jacked up the front wheels to see what damage there was after 100 years in the ground but to my surprise they were un damaged still in mint condition the climate has been kind to it ,but all the steering components are seized
Old 05-19-2013, 07:40 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 14,463 Times in 3,380 Posts

Mr. McClelland,
This is the year 2013. That tractors of this class are still being found "in the rough" is just such an amazing thing. It keeps the hope alive in the rest of us that we'll find a long lost gem in some old shed or fence row!
All the best with the project. It should be a lot of fun.
RM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 05-19-2013, 07:43 AM
Subscriber

Hi Joe,
Glad you got this tractor ,As this 45 Titan could very well be the only complete twin cylinder type D Titan here in Australia, good to know it will be staying here in Au. as we have lost quite a number O.S. in the past ,
Thanks for posting pics. i guess you have it home by now ?
Kind Regards
Stuart.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stuart Landry For This Post:
Old 05-19-2013, 09:04 AM
Email NOT Working

G,day Joe
What nice bit of gear just looked at the video have you found the snake yet i was going come over today but i got a call out & had to go to work.
Cheers Brock
The Following User Says Thank You to jelbart For This Post:
Old 05-19-2013, 09:24 AM
Subscriber

All I can say is WOW
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin A. Behnke For This Post:
Old 05-19-2013, 10:41 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,126 Times in 120 Posts

Hi Joe,

TN 601 makes your tractor a 1912, right about the middle of production. I've got all the SN's of all the TN tractors wrote down here somewhere. Just don't forget about my parts with this new project. Maybe I'll have to hold your missin igniters as collateral
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris Hudson For This Post:
Old 05-19-2013, 11:20 AM
Subscriber

Another great find Joe. I know we're all looking forward to the "road to recovery". I think we would all be pleasantly surprised at how much stuff is still out hiding in the rhubarb!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Nessel For This Post:
Old 05-19-2013, 08:39 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,454 Times in 397 Posts

I guess someone thought it was fun to shoot at the radiator? We purchased a 20-40 Rumely years ago that someone had used the radiator for target practice also.

This is an awesome find. How did you first hear of it or find it?

Brad Hauck
The Following User Says Thank You to Brad Hauck For This Post:
Old 05-19-2013, 11:00 PM
Registered-III

I have some parts drawing I can email if you know the parts numbers you need.
The Following User Says Thank You to Guy Fay For This Post:
Old 05-20-2013, 04:41 AM
Registered-II

Hi everyone I am just as amazed as the rest of you that it sat there for 100 years without having anything much taken off it. I know when I was young we undone every nut and bolt we could find so it would not have been safe with me then, but it is a different story now.
This tractor was the best kept secret that everyone knew about including quite a few Americans, so in order to keep it here some one had to step up and pay the owners a fair price for it but I know a few others would have done the same.
When the call came that it was finally for sale[thanks Alastair] we [ my wife and I ] decided that we would be the new owners for may be the next twenty years, but the original owners will have first offer to buy it back if their situation changes. but for now it is for every one to enjoy
Chris this is going to be a hard thing not to touch until your parts are done for your 20hp D, I might just do a few small things to it but i promise i won't start it well i carn't you got the igniters

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

Hi Guy , the only thing i don't have or a part number for is the timing adjuster that goes on the igniter would you have the drawing for that that ,thanks joe
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joe mcclelland For This Post:
Old 05-20-2013, 05:54 AM
Registered-II

this is a pic of the family owners [and the new owner] who,s grandfather purchased the Tractor new in 1912 for 1000 pounds he was John Henry Melbourne of Narrabri, NSW Arthur and Sue Melbourne and their son David were the current owners Arthur now in his seventies said it was in the same place when he was born and his father would not talk about the tractor because it was such a failure to them they had sold the steam engine that they could also use for cutting chaff and steaming and had sold it for a tractor that was of little or no use to them .
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20130516_009.jpg  
Old 05-20-2013, 06:32 AM
Registered-II

Some more pics of as found the oiler still has the original oil in it,
this it the first IHC tractor i have that has the same numbers all round round the engine number and the tractor number are the same.
I filled the cylinders up with diesel yesterday and thought it would take a while to come through but 24 hours later one cylinder has it dripping out and the other one is on its way .
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20130425_046#1.jpg   P4252242.jpg   P4252236.jpg   WP_20130520_001.jpg  
Old 05-20-2013, 07:44 AM
Email NOT Working

WOW the diesel is comeing though that quick i dont think its very stuck in the bores thats great looking at pics around the gov, area it looks in very good nic i guess most of the engine wont take to get free
Cheers Brock
Old 05-20-2013, 08:44 AM
Subscriber

Are you going to put the original oil in a container preservation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne Riedlinger For This Post:
Old 05-20-2013, 11:35 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,878 Times in 867 Posts

It's hard to believe that it sat there for 100 years!! It's in amazing condition (other than a few bullet holes!) Your climate is very non-corrosive to old machinery! There will be a lot of Stakkers watching the progress on this one.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:51 PM
Subscriber

First off, congrats on a wonderful find! That is truly an original piece and will be a wonderful tractor to have in your collection.

Second: Why did he park it a year after taking possession? I mean, I see that you said he was disappointed in it, but I'm surprised that it wasn't traded in, scrapped out, or outright sold way back when. It has me scratching my head...... Was something broken?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brasherman For This Post:
Old 05-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,348 Times in 1,994 Posts

Man, what an awesome find, got to be one of the best finds of the decade! Amazing to me that stuff like this is coming off the original farms at this late date. I'd also love to hear why they considered they couldn't do anything with this tractor, that they could do with their steam engine.

Mike M
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mike McKnight For This Post: