Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Magneto IGN Coil Tester

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 2346 times

Old 05-20-2013, 11:59 PM
Registered

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Default Magneto IGN Coil Tester

Made this cheep solid state Ign coil tester using a 555 timer & a IGBT Ign switching device. The timer runs at about 50Hz which is about 3000RPM on a single cylinder. It runs of 6V DC & the Ampmeter is optional.
Attached Thumbnails
MAG TEST.jpg   MAG TEST.1.jpg   MAG TEST.2.jpg   MAG TEST.3.jpg  
The Following 2 Users Like This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2013, 12:04 AM
Registered

Default Re: Magneto IGN Coil Tester

More pics.
Attached Thumbnails
MAG TEST.4.jpg   MAG TEST.5.jpg   MAG TEST.6.jpg   MAG TEST.7.jpg  
Old 05-21-2013, 12:09 AM
Registered

The 2 coils are from a stationary engine & a British Seagull outboard with a Villiers coil.
Attached Thumbnails
MAG TEST.8.jpg   MAG TEST.11.jpg   MAG TEST.12.jpg   MAG TEST.13.jpg  
Old 05-21-2013, 06:34 AM
Subscriber

Liked 4,075 Times in 1,796 Posts

Debe:

That circuit would be great to make a buzz coil from an auto coil with.

Just change the timing component values to make it cycle at about 1,000Hz with about 0.75ms on and 0.25ms off. You'll probably have to put a good heat sink on the IGBT, though.

A few more components would make the load on the points a lot less. It's been years since I've designed with 555's but there are ways to do it.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Registered

If you want to use it on Automotive ignition coils, the circuit will run on 12Vdc without any problems.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 05-22-2013, 03:31 AM
Registered

Found this old Lucas magneto in the shed & tried it to see if the coil was still good, apears ok.
Attached Thumbnails
MAG TEST.15.jpg  
Old 05-26-2013, 06:33 PM
Registered-I

Liked 25 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by debe View Post
Found this old Lucas magneto in the shed & tried it to see if the coil was still good, apears ok.
When you test the coil on this way, rotor magnetism is lost. You need to remagnetized the rotor.

I suppose, that this Lucas SR4 magneto needs remagnetization anyway...

Tatu K.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:47 PM
Registered-I

Liked 69 Times in 59 Posts

Hi,
Is this the timer ? I have never built anything like this before thought I might try.Thanks Mike

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3-x-NE555-IC-...item3cb9d92c99
Old 05-27-2013, 01:16 AM
Registered-III

Liked 421 Times in 369 Posts

Most commercial coil / condenser testers built over the years had specs for testing both out of the magneto. Graham Lee tester manual had specs for testing Case mag coils in the housing but I never had much luck doing it that way. They published those specs for the Case mags because with the slotted coil bar laminations that pressed together made it harder to pull the coil out for easy testing. You can usually tell doing a short test in the housing if they are bad or not. Most all other magneto coils were recommended to be removed from housing for testing. You need to ground a lead and do a leak test on back side and all around the coil. Eisemann built some battery type testers had a small motor inside with cam that drove a set of points and a switched condenser on it. They were hooked to a 6V battery only for coil testing you saw how many amps passed through the coils comparing to a test chart for various makes. The amount of amps were controlled by a small carbon pile of stacked carbon washers in variable switch then the fire came on out an adjustable 3 point firing gap. Has two gaps on it for simultaneous fire two cylinder coils. I mostly use that tester now for a crack tester with a 12V automotive coil & 12V battery on it throws a good spark for crack testing distributor caps & rotors. The last Graham Lee 51 & 41 coil condenser testers were solid state guts inside instead of the old style tube type electronics. My tube style testers have always proven to be more dependable & accurate over the years. The electronic style eventually got things too hot and the potentiometers for adjustment became useless making it not accurate. Unless you have adjustment on fire going through the coil you are just making it fire. Not doing a true test or a heat load test by specs to know if it will keep firing under load or not. Just running hot battery power through them is just going to eventually ruin and fry a mag coil it has to controlled to a point for a proper test usually firing about a 5mm gap. Putting excess battery voltage on a magneto at the stop terminal or places with everything installed & hooked up will eventually ruin the coil frying it making it split open and crack, ruin the condenser, burn the points spring off & can ruin the magnet if left on there long enough. Excess battery can not only ruin the magnet but reverse the poles as well. The Eiseman tester was made similar to the H.G. Makelim winding tester in this brochure.

http://www.oldengine.org/members/die.../MagData14.htm

Weidenhoff testers

http://www.oldengine.org/members/die.../MagData13.htm

Wico test specs

http://www.oldengine.org/members/die...MagCapMenu.htm

http://www.oldengine.org/members/die.../Petrolmag.htm
Old 05-27-2013, 01:48 AM
Registered

Yes Mike that is the timer IC. Hi Dempster, that old Lucas magneto has still got very strong magets in it. Also its very unlikely to demagnetise the magnet as its pulsed DC not AC. When testing coils its not advisable to run them on any tester for very long periods to the point of over heating them. They should only be tested using some sort of spark gap. I use a good plug with about 4mm gap. Also if testing magneto ignitions with points in place, the points need to have some insulating material betwean them when using the tester.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:02 AM
Registered-I

Liked 69 Times in 59 Posts

Okay thanks now the other part the IGBT is proving a little harder.I googled it and checked ebay ,but I was not finding the the exact same number as on your plan,does it have to be exact ? If you don,t mind me asking where did you buy yours ? Thanks Mike {the board is easy to get}
Old 05-27-2013, 10:33 AM
Registered

Hi Mike, the IGBT is an ignition type & has internal protection from HV spikes. The IRGB14C40L or ISL9V5036P3 should be avalable from electronic parts supliers. I got mine out of a an EF Ford Falcon ECU, as there is 3 of them as Ign coil drivers. I got the ECU from a scrap yard for free.