Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Firepot

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 2095 times

Old 03-08-2004, 01:24 PM
Cal Watford

Default Firepot

Recently aquired a Clayton,Lambert firepot model 22-A. Pot works great but would like to have a operating manual. The company is still in operation, but has not made firepots in almost 50 years and have no information on them. Anyone out there with a copy, I would appreciate a copy, or would purchase what you have. Thanks, Cal
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2004, 01:38 PM
Jim Tremble

Default Re: Firepot

Cal

Not knowing what a fire pot is, could you post a photo of it ???

Thanks,

Jim
Old 03-08-2004, 02:19 PM
Cal Watford

Sorry, I don't have a picture. THe best descriptionis its a vertical blow torch. Put a cast iron pot on it, and melt lead, babbitt etc. Was used by plumbers when cast iron pipes were used. Melted lead to seal the joints.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:42 PM
Scott ( boiler inspector)

What are you using for fuel? I have one also, sorry no manual.

Scott
Old 03-08-2004, 09:06 PM
Andrew Albrecht

Hello: The item you are calling a firepot, i believe is technicaly called a SMUDGEPOT Spelling mite be wrong. And yes they were used to melt the lead for plumbing of castiron pipes and also Roofers and Tinners used them to soider Gutters and Downspouts long before Seamless Gutters. My friend that passed away in 2000 was one of those Craftsmen. The Fuel he always used in his Smudgepot was the Coleman Brand Fuel or White Gas. Used in lanterns and cook stoves. Hope this helps. Sorry No manuel. Andy
Old 03-09-2004, 12:44 PM
ihorse

Default Firepot

am I seeing things?-Or is the oldfashined [BLOWTORCH]what is being talked about--fill with white gas--or kerosene, -pump it up and light. similar to lighting a coleman light--before battery ones, holds about a quart of fuel--has a hanger out in front of torch end so as to heat a ladle or whatever.also had [usually] a preheater pan under the torch head to fill with fuel and light to heat the torch head to bring up temp for atomizing fuel, when pressureized torch is turned on.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:01 PM
Rick Strobel

Is this it?

I remember those.

RickinMt.

http://www.claytonlambert.com/clayto...in/history.asp
Old 03-09-2004, 08:24 PM
John Ledbetter

Cal, here is a picture of a Clayton-Lambert fire pot Model 44. Instructions are the same on the model 22 and the model 44. If you e-mail me, I will send you lighting instructions on the unit. This unit has been used to melt many a pound of lead to make bullets. If anyone else needs lighting insruction, e-mail me or I can post it on Smokstack..

Old 03-10-2004, 09:25 AM
Cal Watford

I want to thank you all for your responses. Yes John, the picture you posted is the same as mine. Don,t know what the output difference would be . The pot burns just fine, I would liked to have had an original or copy of the operating manual. You all know how collectors of things are. Some generation down the road will probably need the info to start the darn thing. Guess I will just type it out. Thanks again everyone. Cal