Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

Kohler Model 800M25 / Briggs BP

Hello all, I thought I'd start a new thread on my latest acquisition, now that I've tinkered with...

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 507 times

Old 06-22-2013, 03:44 PM
Registered-I

Default Kohler Model 800M25 / Briggs BP

Hello all,

I thought I'd start a new thread on my latest acquisition, now that I've tinkered with it enough, and researched it enough, to learn some about it first.

It seems these are usually 800(M or A or E)21. What does the 25 on mine mean? I know the model means it's 800 watt and manual start, and the 25 has something to do with voltage (it's 110, 2 wire, 60 cycle), but what else does it mean? I've scoured this site and the internet at large, and cannot find what the 25 means vs the 21.

It's missing it's cast iron base. I'd love to have an original, if I can find it. Otherwise I'll be forced to make one, and it might be welded steel, but it won't be cast iron Anyone know where one might be languishing?

I've got an electronic copy of the original manual for the Briggs Model B engine, which brings me to the first question:

Oil. The manual calls for SAE# 20 for all temperatures above 32* F. Is that still available? Or what do you recommend?

Air cleaner. Most unfortunately, it's missing! If anyone knows where I might find one, I'd really appreciate the info.

Carburetor. Mine has a Tillotson which is not listed in the manual. And I'm pretty sure it's not original, since the throttle linkage really doesn't have enough room between the carburetor and the engine to move quite all the way. It still works fine now that I've tinkered with it, but just isn't right. The carburetor itself works great, except the throttle shaft is sloppy, which causes it to be a tad lean on light load. I've got the idle mixture screw way out, and it's just barely enough. I adjusted the main mixture screw at full load. Is a Tillotson a good carburetor, worth my trouble in bushing the throttle shaft? Or should I seek out one of the original type of carbs listed in the manual?

I've ALWAYS wanted a single cylinder 1800 rpm generator set, and now I FINALLY have one! YAY! It appears to be in very good condition. After some governor and carburetor adjustments it runs and generates well.

I just LOVE this "little" set. It successfully started and ran everything I could find to plug into it (not all at once, of course!).

Ok, that's probably enough for now

Thanks,
Keith
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1125.jpg   3Fa3N23Hc5Gf5K75H3d5c7e3844a7b16f1cf1.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2013, 04:13 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Kohler Model 800M25 / Briggs BP

I forgot to report the impressive list of items this little set could operate:

1/2 hp Century repulsion start induction motor- even with my shoe on the pulley as a load! No problem with this.

A modern refrigerator. It noticed it during the couple seconds of starting, but running was as though it was barely there.

An 8k btu AC unit- 730 running watts. It started it up INSTANTLY, as though it were connected to the mains. Ran it just fine too.

An large antique fan, with cast aluminum blade, powered by a 1/4 hp Delco split phase motor. It did struggle a bit with this, but did get it going just fine, tanking only a little longer to start than it does normally.

I've got the carburetor and governor adjusted well enough now that it can go from no load at 60-1/2 cycles and about 125 volts to full load (800 watts of bulbs) at 58-3/4 cycles and 118 volts or so, and back to no load without any misfire, hunting or excessive overshooting. What an awesome little generator set!
Old 06-22-2013, 08:27 PM
Registered-III

The number "5" used after the voltage code was used for a short time to signify a "portable" set, which yours would be considered. I don't think it was used for long, because it is pretty rare to see it.

While you may only have an 800 watt generator, it's got a LOT of mass due to the size of the windings and the large flywheel. As a result of this it will handle changes in load with minimal difficulty. That's because once you get all of that mass turning, it takes a lot of energy to stop it.

Nice little unit. Certainly a beast if you were to consider it "portable"!

Dan
The Following User Says Thank You to LWB250:
Old 06-23-2013, 02:58 PM
Registered-I

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the info about the "5" meaning my set is "portable". This is good, since I wanted to make it portable with casters so I can scoot it around by myself, and handles such that two (strong) men could lift it when necessary. At least it will be true to it's model number Probably also explains why mine has a fuel tank and not a fuel pump.

Thanks again,
Keith
Old 07-09-2013, 12:32 AM
Registered-I

Hello all,

I've made an unfortunate discovery- the insulator portion of the slip ring assembly is cracked...

My friend made a video of the set when we first got it running, and the stroboscopic effect of the video frame rate made it apparent that something didn't quite look right with the slip rings.

So the last time I had it running, I tested for slip ring run out with my finger (while not touching anything else!) and discovered it to be terrible! I could actually see it with the naked eye!

Here's the video, before carburetor and governor adjustment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZRdHjhBEKA
Old 07-09-2013, 08:38 AM
Registered-III

You may find these still available. Check with Buckeye Power in Columbus, OH, or TAW Power Systems in Tampa, FL.

A motor shop might be able to find a generic replacement.

Slip rings can be replaced without disturbing the rest of the armature. Any qualified motor repair shop can do this.

Dan
Old 07-09-2013, 08:06 PM
Registered-I

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the leads. I was visualizing machining one out of engineering plastic, using the original slip rings, but I'll check those leads first.

I also want to check the armature itself for run out, before I go any further. I don't like how it's just hanging off the crankshaft with no outer bearing. It would seem to me that it could bend the crankshaft all too easily if the unit were rough handled, like set down hard or dropped.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Registered-III

Don't worry about the crank or the armature. Both are well designed and are not going to break, trust me.

Dan